What's new

The Kernal's Oaxacan

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
good vibes to you and your Oaxacan babes. as i recall Oaxacan was some of the best dope to come up from the south (late 60s), hope your bagseed is still viable. I for one would like to get some of those genetics! Grow on.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
In the mid 70's we pronounced it wha-hee-can. This pronunciation remained in place for a long time.

Gert Lush

Veteran
I've always said "oh-a-hakka".

I think the confusion lies in the use of the letter "X".
I suspect the old Spanish explorers must have used the Greek pronunciation, where "x" is "ch" as in "loch" (NOT as in "Church").

That's why the locals say "Meh-hee-co".
Sometimes they even use the letter "j" since that's the current Spanish way of writing "ch".
So it wouldn't surprise me to see "Oajaca" or even "Mejico".
Even the name "Texas" was originally from "Tejas"
And, of course, "Marijuana" ... or should that be "marixuana" :) j/k

Whatever the spelling/pronunciation, there's some good stuff out there.
I have been discovering Mexican strains for myself lately, and I'm not too unhappy.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pre-paraquat mexican would tear the top of your head off. It would also allow you to eat 2/3rds of a rhino and want dessert.

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
Pre-paraquat mexican would tear the top of your head off. It would also allow you to eat 2/3rds of a rhino and want dessert.

Damn hoos... Your making me anxious! I want the top of my head torn off!!!

UPDATE: It's been two weeks. Tray has been kept moist and warm. I've been checking it twice daily. None of the seeds have sprouted yet. The two shelled seeds in the paper towel seem to be in a state of suspended animation. They aren't mushy or rotted yet but don't seem to wanna get going. I will continue be patient, positive and diligent.

Gert Lush

Veteran
Hahha, that's my understanding too, though I would qualify it with the word "some", i.e "some pre-paraquat mexi"

A friend of mine, who is a heavy smoker and international traveller/broker spent two hours on his knees recently in Baja, praying for it to wear off. LOL.
And that's in post-paraquat days :)

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm sure things are different than when they were spraying. Thing is, once we heard about paraquat, mex was out. Nobody around here wanted anything to do with sprayed pot, and actually it freaked lots of people out and they wouldn't smoke any weed at all for fear of it being sprayed.

The mex I see around these days wouldn't even be worth the bubble bag IMO, although some of it is very potent. I hate smoking potent dirt.

resinlung, man I hope you get some big germ vibes!

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Give them more moisture & more heat, 90F+ to speed up cell division and stimulate growth.
It gets alot hotter than that in mexico. ;)

There is mexican bud that will make you surely respect the power of THC. The few times in my life I thought I had really lost it and was not coming back down was smoking mexican shit! Crazy stuff sometimes! Best sex & munchie weed though! :canabis:

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
Give them more moisture & more heat, 90F+ to speed up cell division and stimulate growth.
It gets alot hotter than that in mexico. ;)

90F huh. Interesting. Seems a tad warm. I wonder what soil temps 1/4 inch below the surface are in Oaxaca in early spring? Thank god for google! lol

Thanks SOTF420

Hi Trichy!:wave:

Gert Lush

Veteran
I think it is fair to say some pure/nearly pure sativa lines can take some extra time to germ
Hm, I dunno about that... never heard anything like it.
I've grown some pretty damn extreme tropical sativas and there was never any noticeable difference in sprouting time.

Maybe if the seeds are a bit older, that would be the cause. I hope it all turns out well, resin_lung.

Y

Yankee Grower

Good luck on these. I had some absolutely killer Mexican back in the mid 70's every now and then. Oh all those seeds I threw out...lol.

E

elmanito

Put the seeds in a bag with a rotten banana peel for the ethylene gas for a few hours.That seems to help also.

Good luck and i hope they will sprout.

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis:

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
Put the seeds in a bag with a rotten banana peel for the ethylene gas for a few hours.That seems to help also.

sounds like sound advice, i think i've heard of that somewhere! as the ethylene gas is used to help ripen fruit (put bananas in a bag with unripe bananas or other fruit and they ripen in a day or so! or the older bananas over ripen haha).

resin_lung hope they pop soon mate and turn into something amazing! i'll be glued to the updates :D