What's new

The Hydro Guy F*** Up thread!

hydro guy ended up talking me into buying one of those odor soks instead of a true carbon filter.ended up having to buy a carbon filter wasted 90 bucks on odor sok.he said they work just as good .

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Stick with what works for you, and don't let anyone tell you how to run your grow, especially if their selling you something.

Perfectly said and boy cranberry I laughed my ass off dude, if I was there with you I would be gagging all the way home!!! Ya, when you try to return shit you buy they give you hell about it man, they act like they are your best friend when you are there... you come back with the product(s) to return and they look at you like some common bug on the ground that just want to step all over you!

No worries hydro, still it's a good story to share thanks for sharing! K+

THat is some crazy shit there apollo.

killedkilleryo: Sounds just about right, they tryed to sell us some stuff like that and when overgrow was still up they had a faq about how to make a homemade carbon scruber and we made a good one for under 40 dollars including all materials except the carbon which was 30 bucks and it worked wonders for weeks on end.
To change the carbon all we had to do is open the front cover and slide the filters out of there slots, dump the carbon and pour new layer on it. Had 4 layers of carbon and a pre filter all made out of simple pleated furnace filters and had intake and outake using a a 6 in duct connector with a common bath fan pulling air out of the grow room and exausting it into another room, this kept negative air pressure in the grow room so no odors leak out through other cracks in the room. We had 25 people in the house at once point when my brother passed away and had a wake for him and I had some sour diseal and bogglegum and orange bud growing flowering out and not one person could smell it let alone even know I was growing. My cousin he was a huge pot head and he could not even smell it.

so the whole point to the story is, before ya buy odor stuff, if you are handy your better off making it yourself rather than buying it from a hydro shop and much cheaper and work just as good. You can buy carbon from a pet store in the fish section or order it buy the bulk online.

NorCalFor20

Smokes, lets go
Veteran
So I had root aphids and the guy tells me to buy patrol and spray on the plants when the lights go out and I would get rid of the flyer's. He also said to spray around the root zone and it would completely get rid of all the root aphids :bashhead:

$200 wasted.

I had root aphids too and my hydro shop guy suggested sm-90 and when i had spidermites they suggested sm-90 im sure sm-90 is great if you want your res water to smell like lemons but i dont know what it does other than that...

i asked my hydroshop guy if they could get floramite and they almost kicked me out of the store like i had asked for some marijuana fertlizer

back when i lived in nc the hydroshop there had everything marked up at least 20% because of the fact that they were the only hydroshop in 200 miles i saw the exact same 400w setup online for 120$ (with a bulb) that they were selling for 150$ i mentioned it to them and said they had the same setup online for sale at htgsupply for 120 bucks and Asked if they would match the price and he told me to buy it from the internet... not only that but they were being watched by the feds...

also i was pushed those humboldt nuterients by my local shop i didn't really buy the whole humboldt thing considering i lived right next to humboldt and all the growers in humboldt i knew used GH Lucas ....

Last edited:

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
me: "do you carry any ceramic metal halides? .."
hydroguy: "you mean metal halides..*rolls eyes,takes deep breath,starts to lead me towards them"*
me: "no I mean ceramic metal halides...preferably phillips brand.."
guy:"lol..I've never heard of such a thing..are you sure you don't mean......"
me: ceramic, they're kinda new...do you think you can see if you can order any..?
guy: "I think you're confused, I've never head of ceramic lightbulbs before, hps is the best you can get...."
me:....*facepalm*...."ok, do you carry any pl-l lights? 2g11 base...?" I knew I was gonna regret that one too..but it's the only shop in town..had to try.
guy: "uhhhh.....whaaaa...?"
me: "nm man, do you carry any magnetic 400watt hps ballasts?"
guy: "magnetics are completely outdated, digitals are the way to go" *sigh*
....I then ask about neem oil, and the guy tried to convince me I need 75$ worth of chemical pesticides....

I left and haven't been back since, I can understand him not knowing his shit perfectly...I do read alot..but I mean common...once we get to the point where I obviously know what I'm talking about, and he's still trying to upsale me like crazy?...if he was smart he woulda asked what I was looking for exactly and tried to get it..or at least educate himself in the process...but he just assumed I didn't know what I was talking about....incredibly frustrating when you go to the "pros" and they don't have a clue.

ask them about soil and they try to sell you hydro .."hydro is the future"
I know if I bought a hydro setup there, the next week they'd be trying to sell me aeroponic "aeroponics is the future"

E

Eminem

I sent one of the partners to the shop the other day for ONE specific product. Luckily they got it but they also bought another $300 worth of stuff. Reminds me of my wife when she just needs milk from the grocery store :D

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
I guess I'm lucky to have a pretty competent and at least honest hydro shop guy. He seems to keep his mouth shut when he doesn't know what's up, and it seems to me like he really doesn't care about upselling, well at least to customers who obviously know pretty much what they want/are talking about.

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
While I don't really use one shop all the time I might start. There is a place just down the street that I've never really liked. High prices, snotty employees, etc. Well a while back there was a big change. It was like everyone that worked there got bitch slapped or something. I stopped by the other day to pick up some odds and ends. Not only did they not try and sell me a bunch of stuff I didn't need, then ended up giving me a bunch of little things for free. Yeah, they gave it to me. I was blown away.
I ended up shooting the shit with the owner the other day when I dropped in again. We where talking about the mass marketing of products right now, along with a few random subjects. I brought up they fact that there are a group of people that really don't like digital ballasts. He rolled his eyes and I waited for the sales pitch.........Nothing, he said he hates digitals and that he wouldn't even carry them if it wasn't for all the people that want them. He more or less went around the whole store listing off the stuff he thinks is crap. It was kind of funny, but it worked. I gained a lot of respect for the guy and I will be shopping there more often now. There are some people out there that actually know what they are talking about. Maybe one reason they guy opened up was because he could tell I wasn't someone that was going to fall for some lame sales pitch.

Not really on topic of hydro dummies, but sort of in that ballpark.

McSnappler

Lurk.
Veteran
Great thread resurrection MynameStitch, too much karma given out in past 24 hours but I'll be back!

I've generally been alright personally, I might come off like I don't know shit in the shop, but most of the time, the only thing I'm not sure of is whether I can get a discount out of the dude who's currently trying to sell me shit I don't need.

bendoslendo

You don't have to pH balance liquid organic nutes before adding to soil. You don't have to flush organic nutes before harvest.

I found both of these to be incorrect. :(

F the hydroshop guy!

relief

Gonna have to agree with you hydro guy here. Why do you want magnetic ballasts?

Because digitals are unreliable. Been through four digitals and my 7 year old magnetic ballast saved the day every time they bit the dust. Nothing like coming home to find your plants sitting in the dark with the smell of burnt plastic.

I agree, f**k the hydro stores. Completes rip off, up selling scam artist. When I go in there, I literally have to tell them to "back off or I'm leaving." I only buy from there when I need something immediately and cant wait for it to be shipped. Nine times out of ten, they have no idea what they're talking about, just trying to push an over priced item on you.

dc2bar

My first grow experience:

(both medical patients)

"take a look at this picture. what are these brown spots?"
him:"calcium def. spray with calmag."

week later, they get worse. back to the hydro store.
him:"lockout/def still, adjust your res PH, and up your nute solution by 20%."

week later, they're in dire straights.
ask OG
OG:"lawl you noob you nute burned the fuck out of them, bring that res down to 950 ppm."

..........surprise! a few weeks later the new growth looks perfect.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Wow, just when you think you heard it all, there is always something that comes along the next day to break the record :O

My advice, never listen to the guys, unless he is a grower himself!

ubet28

I have to say that i feel fortunate to have a good Hydro shop Guy. I have been there several times looking at buying something and he will show me a much cheaper solution. I think the last time i was there he saved me 75.00.

Lifebreather

Veteran
A hydro shop in my town told me that 1/2 tps per gallon of SM-90 and 1/4 tsp per gallon of Dutch Master Zone will kill root aphids.

SM-90 smells nice, but I think the aphids liked it more than I did...

Needless to say...this combination did nothing. Glad I already had both on hand or else I would have felt real stupid...

baet

wow, ive learned a few things already, awesome thread.

i have 3 main hydrostores in my town, and a few other places that offer nutes and hydrostuff but arent hydrostores. one of the hydrostores is awesome, down to earth, never try to upsell me, never try to "inform" or "educate" me unless i ask. all the people who work there are super nice and the opposite of snobby. i love that place. other place has a snob or two, and i know they try to upsell me stupid shit. my first grow, my friends went in there without me to buy a bottled veg nutrient, when asking an employee whats a good veg nute wth high N the guy sold them OGGrow 16-0-0.... damnit

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Gonna have to agree with you hydro guy here. Why do you want magnetic ballasts?
Not always, but generally speaking a magnetic ballast starts to sound funny a long time before you have issues. I've heard too many "It just went BANG! and there was smoke coming out of my ballast.... good thing I was there!" stories about electronic ballasts.