What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The High-Pod Mini

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
That cabinet looks very tidy. Good job, and I will be interested in seeing what you do with it. It reminds me of the plans I once had for the right half of my armoire, and I never went through with them. It's now a spare garden space for making seeds, under an LED. Anyway, great job with that cabinet of yours!

Ventilation is something you don't want to skimp on, trust me. It doesn't seem like those lights are putting off heat, but they are, and that heat would build up in that small space. Ideally what you would want is an inline centrifugal fan. The 4 inch variety would be fine for that space. Then you could hook it to a speed controller to dial it down if needed. Those really aren't expensive when you mail order them, so in my opinion it's really all you should be looking at. Resist the urge to go with a cheap duct booster fan or something like that if you can help it. Remember that you need to light proof it so it gets an uninterrupted dark period, which usually requires light traps that create more static pressure, so you need a centrifugal to do it right. Oh yeah, and use passive intakes.

:tiphat:

timmur

Thanks hush. The design was inspired by the cab you were going to build and the original high-pod. Will this fan do the trick? Not worried about light proofing as this cab will sit in my retired brewery room. Climate control in the room and no worry about odor.

Should I go with two passive intakes at the bottom? 2" each?

Active-air-inline-fan-4-6-500x500.jpg

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Yeah that fan will do it. You should have two 4 inch holes for your intake. I don't know what you mean when you say "retired brewery room" but make sure it's pitch black in there, as in no windows or artificial lighting, or else your light leaks will cause hermies. Good luck to you!

timmur

I have a small 14' x 12' room that was used as a brewery. I'm now going to grow in there. I can keep the room completely dark. If this little grow works well I'll scale up to fill the room.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Nice. Sounds like a plan. Just make sure to never turn on a light in that room during your cabinet's dark period and you'll be good. :good:

timmur

Hey hush, have you ever used this stuff?

Chlormequat Chloride is the same ingredient used in wheat/cereal production, and that’s obviously FDA approved for human consumption. The trick is not to use it as a drench, but rather as a foliar spray, and MOST IMPOTANTLY use it earlier on in the flower period to allow the systemic effects of spraying Chlormequat Chloride on your plants to wear off as much as possible before harvesting them, and consuming them.

Usage: The trick to using this product is to FOLIAR FEED only! NO DRENCHES OR DRIP FEEDINGS ETC...

MB Stretch Stopper is to be used 1 time@ 3ml/Liter.

The choice of when to use it is up to the gardener.

If used right when lights go to 12/12 then no stretch will be the results, and the plant will quickly respond to budset or creating pre-flowers.

However some like to have a longer stretch period. (Gardener/strain dependent)

Then the best time to spray is at the end of the desired stretch period. (1-4 weeks into flowering). FYI the later you use stretch stopper, you will not stop the stretch and get the "earlier more abundant pre-nodes", but you can boost the pre-nodes and flowers that have already started to grow. Making this product now more like flower dragon, Phosphoload, Topload etc. "A BUD BOOSTER"

Email question to MBFerts
Regarding the use of MB Stretch Stopper, will it decrease the potency of cannabis if used as directed? Also will it completely (or very nearly) stop stretch if applied at the flip to 12/12 light cycle? Thanks.

Tim

Their reply
Hi, chlormequat chloride (ccc) used at this low dosage will not harm you or your plants. Trichome production is not hender either. We recommend using it day 7 or 8, so you get a little strecth prior to stoping the stretch, which is equivalent to stopping the veg and starting flower quicker.Also by foliar spraying it instead of drenching it because with a drench it sits in the medium longer.

Now some with sativas, or crosses have to reaply 5-7 day later as these typ of plants stretch for 3-4 weeks. This also proves that the ccc wheres off quickly since after week you sometime have to reapply, lol the question would be if its still in the plant why would i have to reapply it, and that is exactly the proof that it does wear off. Hope this all helps!

Thanks!

I was thinking of growing some zamaldelica in this cab and veg it until it hits 3 1/2 feet and then hit it with this stuff to halt the stretch. How long do you think it would take to hit 3 feet of height? This combined with slightly warmer "nights" during flowering should stop vertical growth (in theory anyway!).

BTW thanks for all of the feedback!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
No I've never used any crazy chemicals like that in my grows, actually. I use chemical fertilizer salts, but that's it. I don't trust chemicals like that. The way I see it, if I can't fit a plant in my grow space, I'm growing the wrong plant. But that's just me, I guess. I've never used any pesticides or hormones, either. That might be why my hydroponic bud tastes and smells just as good as any organic bud I've ever encountered.

:wave:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Dude... I just looked it up... DO NOT USE THAT SHIT ON CANNABIS! Whoever recommended its use to you should be slapped across the face. It has no residential or food uses, and is only listed to be used for ornamental plants. No wonder I had never even heard of that chemical, even though I used to work at a hydroponics shop that sold hormones and growth regulators.

I REPEAT... THAT SHIT IS NOT SAFE TO USE ON CANNABIS!!

timmur

Dude... I just looked it up... DO NOT USE THAT SHIT ON CANNABIS! Whoever recommended its use to you should be slapped across the face. It has no residential or food uses, and is only listed to be used for ornamental plants. No wonder I had never even heard of that chemical, even though I used to work at a hydroponics shop that sold hormones and growth regulators.

I REPEAT... THAT SHIT IS NOT SAFE TO USE ON CANNABIS!!

After a quick look on the Internet I found this article. Seems relatively safe to me based on this. Also, the Europeans are raising its residuals levels in the production of cereal grains and pears, etc... According to their "reasoned opinion":
In accordance with Article 6 of Regulation (EC) No 396/2005, the United Kingdom (hereafter - evaluating Member State UK (EMS UK)), received an application from the company BASF to modify the existing MRLs (maximum residue level)for chlormequat in cereals and several commodities of animal origin. The EMS UK proposed to raise MRLs in rye and oat grain and several animal commodities to accommodate the NEU use of chlormequat on cereals. The Netherlands (EMS NL) received an application from Nederlandse Fruittelers Organisatie to maintain the temporary MRL of 0.1 mg/kg for chlormequat in pears until 31 July 2017, in order to accommodate for carry-over of chlormequat residues due to formerly authorized uses on pear trees. The targeted monitoring data provide evidence that, in general, chlormequat residues in pears produced in the Netherlands and Belgium are declining. In 2013 and onwards, 95 % of the samples of pears produced in the Netherlands and Belgium in areas where chlormequat was used in pear orchards before 2003 will contain residues at or below the level of 0.1 mg/kg. The submitted residue trials on cereals indicate that a higher MRL is required for oat and rye grain to support the intended NEU use. The new use on cereals results in a need to raise the existing MRLs for chlormequat in ruminant muscle, liver, kidney, swine kidney and milk. Based on the risk assessment results, EFSA concludes that the temporary MRL for pears and the intended use of chlormequat on rye and oats and the subsequent residues in animal commodities will not result in a consumer exposure exceeding the toxicological reference values and therefore is unlikely to pose a public health concern.

I appreciate the heads up and I'm definitely going to do a lot more research on it. If that stuff has toxicity issues I may use kinetin. You can buy it as "Bonide Blossom Set Spray".

timmur

Just wanted to post an update on my cabinet build. Finished the ventilation/cooling. Nearly ready to go. Just need to run the wires. Maintains temp within 5 degrees of ambient.

timmur

Thanks 5th! Can't wait to get it up and running. I'll have to wait until after the third week in September as I'm on vacation. I plan on running Ace's Zamaldelica. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew! Complete newb starting out with hydro and a pure sativa!

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
Looking great! A very clean and efficient design!

omplete newb starting out with hydro and a pure sativa!

You are better off with a sativa to start. They are very sturdy and will eat as much as you can feed them. I would make some effort to get them to bush a little. Some will grow like a vine if you let them. Your space will really let them stretch, but I imagine you want a few branches going up. Top at the 4th node? Just a suggestion.

Good luck!

timmur

Thanks SweetDee. I'll be starting a grow of Zamaldelica in about two weeks. We'll see how well the cabinet works out.

timmur

Looking great! A very clean and efficient design!

You are better off with a sativa to start. They are very sturdy and will eat as much as you can feed them. I would make some effort to get them to bush a little. Some will grow like a vine if you let them. Your space will really let them stretch, but I imagine you want a few branches going up. Top at the 4th node? Just a suggestion.

Good luck!

Thanks 3dDream! Yes I plan on bushing them out by pruning and pinching larger fan leaves that block light.

user-name

nice growbox. subscribed!

i can't contribute anything at this point, but it's pretty interesting and i hope you keep us updated!
I'm planing on building a (small) box just for sativas and hope i can contribute, when i got a working plan.
I really like the way you are using those T5 lights, since they spread the light evenly in all heights.
Even though i would like to find a solution with more efficient hps lights, im worried, i will have to use T5, since they seem to be the best solution overall.

keep the good work!

timmur

Thanks user-name! I'm just finishing up vacation and then I'm gonna start a grow. I'll keep a good log as it progresses.

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Nice! I still get nostalgic for my vertical fluoro grow. In many ways it was the smoothest growing I've ever done indoors!

timmur

Thanks magiccannabus. I'm just back from from vacation and am getting ready to order the DWC setup below for starting my seeds.

Plan "A" is to squeeze both of those hydro units into the vert cab. If that doesn't work then plan "B" is to pull the lights out of the cab and hang them in the bracket below and keep the plants outside the cabinet until a selection is made based on sex/pheno.

The only other thing left to do is run the wires and I'm off to the races.

Latest posts

Latest posts