What's new

The Haze discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Some people plant their pre-grown od plants sideways and scrape the stem so that roots can then get started from multiple points. Why bending works so well is because it will cause a redistribution of growth hormones from the tip part. The plant will then prioritize the buds that are higher up than the main tip. I nowadays prefer this to tipping. It seems the plants bounce back faster.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Defoliation on indoor cannabis is bro science. Defoliating some will not cause any issues, I do this in small amounts. Typically on leaves that look bad. Taking them all off is not something any does......Correction 1 person Hempy :D. The info on this is out there... I'll stay with the advice from a botanist.

You wont see any do this on outdoor plants.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
CANNATORIUM for a guy that grows CBD plants that look like stems with a few buds you should be more focused on improving your grows than trying to start an argument with me.

I dont know what is bad about these plants at all ???

they are autoflowers...of fucking hemp....0.2thc....

Still look better than your grow which is perfect example why people say haze is hay....cuz they dont have capacity to grow it right.

Anyway buds of my CBD look like this... Click image for larger version  Name:	image_1997507.jpg Views:	57 Size:	207.6 KB ID:	17979396 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_1997507.jpg Views:	57 Size:	207.6 KB ID:	17979396

You put nice picture that actualy show that I dont defoliate nothing,even big fan leafs and still grow very good plants.

Last edited by a moderator:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
20210315_174116.jpg

CBD haze hybrid a week after defoliation...Believe it or not..LOL
20210330_090818.jpg

Same crop 2 weeks later...Early winter light sup. crop..Export medicinal flower for smoking..

20210625_144449.jpg

An indica leaning CBD crop, also defoliated about 3 weeks prior..LOL..

Definitely a technique done commercially on large scale..Timed right the plants dont seem to notice..

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Same crop 2 weeks later...Early winter light sup. crop..Export medicinal flower for smoking..

Definitely a technique done commercially on large scale..Timed right the plants dont seem to notice..

I don't call that defoliation, I call that pruning.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
yes ill call that pruning too ,, and as i mentioned it is useful for some airflow and to remove parts that never form well ,
im guessing its not just some leaf but those little tiny branches that only produce little popcorn buds ??

when i hear the term defoliation , i think of removal of all the leaf as has been shown here ,
i dont think there is any advantage to that extreme techinque , but i can see some in the above pictures ,
cannabis can benefit from some pruning and shaping , i definitely do that too ....

...CR500AF...

Well i guess, i would call what i do is pruning as well then, i just thin out the center fans, so the light can get a little deeper into each plant. Never do i strip every single fan leaf off of any of the bud...:)

Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Defoliation on indoor cannabis is bro science. Defoliating some will not cause any issues, I do this in small amounts. Typically on leaves that look bad. Taking them all off is not something any does......Correction 1 person Hempy :D. The info on this is out there... I'll stay with the advice from a botanist.

You wont see any do this on outdoor plants.

I dont see any one bending your arm forcing you Hammer to do it to your plants mate so why the negativity?.

The science is there to back it up.

Defoliation is simply the act of cutting leaves off a cannabis plant for the purpose of pruning. It is backed by scientific research that shows that older plant leaves do not contribute as much to plant growth as new, smaller leaves, but instead, they become detrimental.

According to research, as plants grow, so does the size of their leaves. Older leaves become larger, thereby taking up even more water, sunlight and other nutrients even though their ability to support photosynthesis and other necessary processes is more limited. Defoliation aims to eliminate these older leaves and rejuvenate the cannabis plant.

Larger yields

Defoliation has been proven to boost the yields you can get from your cannabis garden. There are two angles to this: the first revolves around the plant hormone ethylene, which is known to lower yields because of its ability to trigger aging processes within plant cells.

Per nature’s design, ethylene is found in higher concentrations in older leaves and flowers, such as those at the lower ends of the cannabis plant. Defoliation effectively nips these leaves and flowers, triggering higher yields for the plant.

The second angle revolves around defoliation’s ability to increase the exposure of leaves to sunlight and air, which directly stimulates more photosynthesis, better growth and larger yields by harvest time.

Efficient light absorption

People do this indoors and out on there plants i have for over 40 years others were doing this even longer.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Some people plant their pre-grown od plants sideways and scrape the stem so that roots can then get started from multiple points. Why bending works so well is because it will cause a redistribution of growth hormones from the tip part. The plant will then prioritize the buds that are higher up than the main tip. I nowadays prefer this to tipping. It seems the plants bounce back faster.

No tying a plant down and allowing the main steam to grow along the ground forces the side branches to grow up ways.

The branches then throw out side branches and basically start to look like plants them self's. You can then start to tie them down and have that process repeat its self again.

What your doing is opening up the plant allowing more light in and training the plant to produce more flower sites threw veg ready for when it starts to flower as all growth will head towards the light.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
shwazzing nope never heard of it but just ran a google search and found this.
Schwazzing is a defoliation technique that was first introduced in 2015 by Joshua Haupt. He published a book that describes this technique in detail and the results that it yielded on his indoor marijuana crop.

I first posted about my method in 2000/2001 all i got was ridicule.

Results and pictures dont lie but now the science has caught up.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dont see any one bending your arm forcing you Hammer to do it to your plants mate so why the negativity?.

The science is there to back it up.

People do this indoors and out on there plants i have for over 40 years others were doing this even longer.

Only you would see this discussion as negative. I disagree 100% about any Science backing that nonsense up. Defoliation and pruning are very different things. It wasn't just me that pointed out why it's not a good thing to do. As said many times grow your way Hempy:D.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
ummm ,,
are those quotes from some scientific or botanical source??

id reject the statement that now science has caught up ,
folks have been pruning all manner of plants for as long as we have been gardening ,
this is not restricted to cannabis ,
completely deleafing them would definitely not be recommended by a qualified botanist or science ,(maybe a hippy)
simply because its not beneficial or ideal and can do harm to the plant ..

I understand that you do it and like it ,
but trying to use any old thing to justify it isnt correct hempy ,
you feel it works for you ,, fine ,
but complete defoliation is not scientific or botanically approved by any means at all,
its just a method that you like and a lot of folks , myself included ,
dont agree it does the plant any good ....

no need to trot out the old "results dont lie" statement,
unless you have a side by side of the same cutting that hasnt been defoliated ,
otherwise you havent really proved anything , just that after you trimmed off all the leaf,
your plant didnt die , nothing else to compare too though ...

Chi13

ICMag Donor

Nice crop, but just because you can show a commercial grower defoliates, does not make it correct. I worked in mainstream horticulture for 30 odd years and there were plenty of commercial operations doing methods that were unscientific, simply because they had been told to do something, or because that's how they have always done things..

As others have said, unless you do side by side experiments involving clones you cannot prove this works.

This link explains it well:
Evidence And Conclusion:
I looked all over for any and all controlled grows, comparing defoliated plants to controls. Unfortunately i found very few. The ones i did find showed clear indications of no improvement but infact a decline in yeild. You would think that of all the people who have grown, they would have done such a simple experiment. However it seems people keep insisting on doing the method without controls and make subjective opinions on the matter. The most surprising one is where people defoliate and somehow are surprised that a few days later there is more growth. Then conclude the success of their experiment. I cannot enough make it clear how important, controlled side by side comparisons are. This is to remove any and all variables that you 'may' or 'may not' expect, regardless of what you have experienced in the past. Visial bias alone is enough to convince somone of something that is not true. Not everything is as it appears.
https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/community/photons_corner/to-defoliate-or-not-to-defoliate/

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Only you would see this discussion as negative. I disagree 100% about any Science backing that nonsense up. Defoliation and pruning are very different things. It wasn't just me that pointed out why it's not a good thing to do. As said many times grow your way Hempy:D.

I am all for discussion Hammer but the insults are not welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts