MedState

d08f5c02.jpg

Martian Kush DNA genetics Sativa Dom I also have two killer Indica doms as well

182a95bd.jpg

Sharksbreath another killer such compact growth

4d46c804.jpg

Martian Kush indica Dom

7fab3c73.jpg

All these are in airports and fed H&G (best line hands down). With additives like Rock resonator humboldt honey ES. I also have been using guano, castings and kelp. Also no CO2 but, I have XtremeGardenings calcarb which seems to be working. I use like 1:1 ratio coco/perlite I use the bricks it's cheep and I just add some inoculates and CaliMagic to spruce it up.

:watchplant:

Coco has good water retention I use 50/50 because at that ratio I LOSE water retention allowing to be feed more. That being said you could do as suggested increase EEC/compost or/and increase coco. My 2cents.

merkaba

Alrighty, I will join in. After much observation and several people encouraging me, I am switching to Coco. First run will be a mix of 707 Headband, OG Fire, Shipwreck and Obama done in 5 gallon containers. They were vegged in Pro-Mix to start (6" squares). I will be doing 16 per 4x4 table, drain to waste hand watered. Try to post some photos later this week. Any one have thoughts on how often I should expect to water with 5 gallon containers? I keep my room pretty stable at around 75 degrees, lil cooler at lights off due to AC. Pretty stoked to see what all the hype is about ! ;)

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
Alrighty, I will join in. After much observation and several people encouraging me, I am switching to Coco. First run will be a mix of 707 Headband, OG Fire, Shipwreck and Obama done in 5 gallon containers. They were vegged in Pro-Mix to start (6" squares). I will be doing 16 per 4x4 table, drain to waste hand watered. Try to post some photos later this week. Any one have thoughts on how often I should expect to water with 5 gallon containers? I keep my room pretty stable at around 75 degrees, lil cooler at lights off due to AC. Pretty stoked to see what all the hype is about ! ;)

Water/feed every day. Personally, I find a 5 gallon bucket to be over 2 times the size I need. I don't have the head room to grow trees tho, so I have to keep my plants under 4 feet tall, pots and all. It's important to not treat Coco like dirt an space your watering/feedings out too far.. don't let em have that 'dry' cycle most people do with dirt.. Anyway.. after you get the swing of it, you'll love growing in Coco.

mgk :tiphat:

Green lung

Veteran

5 gallon is way overkill with coco unless your growin 6, 7 ft trees

I would use 2 gallon.

once or twice a day is the most you will need to water. Let those roots fill out the pot before you flip to 12/12.

Don't let the coco get to dry and ph your water to 5.6-6.0.

merkaba

Ahhhhh, I thought I had read of folks using 5 gallons and watering every 2-3 days, thus my decision to go that route. My plants tend to end up around 3 - 3.5ft when done. Watering every day seems like a pain in the ass...>Well, not a pain in the ass, but a def. not taking any trips for more than a day...hahaha....

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Watering every day seems like a pain in the ass...>Well, not a pain in the ass, but a def. not taking any trips for more than a day...hahaha....

which is why i went with blumats & now i'm using a pump & drip lines . i like to take off camping this time of year , 3 or 4 days at a rip & coco needs to be fed everyday .

merkaba

I just transplanted and one thing is certain, wet coco is WAY heavier than wet Pro-Mix/Sunshine, hahahaha. I also noticed the massive amount of run off compared to Pro-Mix, do you guys collect that back? Can I put the pots in 4 x 4 ebb and flow trays that are undrilled to at at least keep it from flooding my basement every day or 2? Would it be bad if the bottom of the pots sat in say an inch or two of nutrients for a day or so after each feeding? For that matter, can you bottom feed in coco?

Cheers

Green lung

Veteran
I wouldn't leave them in standing runoff.

You don't need to water to alot of runoff. Just enough to dribble out the bottom.

I would use the 4x4 tray and collect the runofff in a bucket (there should be very little once you figure how much water they like).

Be carefull you don't overwater/underoxygen your plants when transplanting into new coco with a small plant/root system, if you keep the coco to soggy after you transplant the roots don't explore the coco and causes problems. treat it like soil a little bit and let it dry out some after transplant, if the pot is still heavy don't keep watering it.

Wouldn't recomend bottom feeding.

merkaba

I recall having to closely watch ebb and flow plants with hydroton...at first i was just nailing them every 4 hrs and they never put out roots. Finally realized they were too small and not being forced to seek out nutrients, so why would they? I am thinking I will do this run in the 5 gallons and switch to smaller pots, drip feed in the future...perhaps ;) . So, effectively, when the pot is still fluffy and moist but light to pick up, that's the watering point?

3gunpete

FYI, I don't claim to be a coco grow guru by ant means.
But I have had plants in coco flourish in trays with standing water. As a matter of fact, it wasn't until I stopped draining my trays that really consistent growth took place a couple different times. The first time it happend due to procrastination and laziness. However I've done it since then with good success. You just don't want them sitting in it all the time. But for a two or three days has only helped me when growing in coco. Because u don't have to water every day, thus cutting down on wasted nutrients.
I believe it was the prolonged exposure to the nutrient solution that really helped. I'm sure it is all relevant to the nutrients and dosage u are using. I am a avid under feeder, so it was most likely the added length of time roots wer exposed to solution.
Either way flooding plants for a while won't hurt them if unlet them dry up a little bit befor doing it again.
All that being said. Experiment. After all I kno many growers who flood trays of both soil and coco while on extended vacation.
Food for thought!! Best wishes

merkaba

I transplanted about 4 days ago, 6" pro mix into 5 gallon coco....They were in need of a bit of nitrogen. I watered them again today, though they felt fairly heavy. Should I start freaking out about them not bouncing back from the deficiency or just give it a lil more time?

3gunpete

Stop watering! If they feel heavy they most likely r all good. That is at least part of the problem. You don't want to let it dry out by any means. However it's gotta breath. From ur earlier post it seems as if perhaps ur coco was over saturated to begin with. Other more experienced coco growers might disagree. This is just my opinion,From my sociology of knowledge.
However I was having similar issues attempting to follow others advice about 20% run off, multi waterings a day, etc etc. all the while not getting the results I hoped for. Eventually a couple things clicked and I adapted. THE POINT.. It wasn't until I left my girls abandond in solution for several days that I realized there is way too much emphasis on right and wrong as opossed to what works for u.
Don't know what nutes ur using or regimen ur on, but in my experience if ur not seeing any results u need more nutrients. If u give them to much they'll tell u, either too much or not enough they tell u. IMHO . Best of luk

merkaba

I am finishing up some Advanced Nutrients I have, added some Cal-Mag. They haven't really even put roots out from the Pro-Mix block they were translated from, they will be ok. I think the ppm was around 800. Like I said, they were already a lil deficient when I transplanted. I think I will let them dry out more this time between feedings. I barely watered them this time. I do think I will eventually just go to 2-3 gallon pots and run an ebb and flow in the future and switch to House & Garden.

blazedgeek

Thank you bone, gm, and everyone else i have learned a ton from reading this thread im on my 2nd read now a ton of info!! Real quick ? Im feeding .08-1 ec 700 ppm .7 conversion (ro water)on clones that have been vegging about 3 weeks im thinking they may be a little hungry im noticining red petioles and the run off water is lower coming out at 400ppm im also noticing this on a few seedlings .6-.8 ec going in and again lower run off ec coming out. Should i be upping or flushing nutes?
Thanks for the help fam.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1343842096728.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343842096728.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 10
  • uploadfromtaptalk1343842137478.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343842137478.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 10
  • uploadfromtaptalk1343842182242.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343842182242.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 11

blazedgeek

Green lung and merkaba thank you for the response.. quick question if the runoff ec is lower than whats going in this means theyre eating correct? And should they be fed a higher ec with the next feed? Or feed till run off is the same as whats going in. Ive been taking it easy this run just dont want an overnute situation

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2