What's new

the Hand Watering coco thread

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
???

i've watered them about 3 times in the last 8 days @200ppm, maybe up it to 300ppm? (still in 8oz cups)

Don't go crazy with nutes until you are seeing a couple pretty good sized sets of leaves.. then increase cautiously. It might be a good idea to go to the website of the nutrient supplier you're using and consult their feeding charts.

mgk :tiphat:

str8clandestine

Suggestion to noobish problems............

Suggestion to noobish problems............

it seems like so many of you place yourselves in situations where you have to worry about PH, EC, PPM, too much, what a huge waste of effort, and money. besides regulating temperature, use a light feeding schedule of Advanced Nutrients products such as Sensi Bloom a & b, or connoisseur bloom a & b, with big bud, bud candy, and overdrive. i guarantee you won't run into problems or any nutrient deficiencies unless you overfeed. Moreover, If you do organics, or make your own nutes, than even better!

it seems like so many of you place yourselves in situations where you have to worry about PH, EC, PPM, too much, what a huge waste of effort, and money. besides regulating temperature, use a light feeding schedule of Advanced Nutrients products such as Sensi Bloom a & b, or connoisseur bloom a & b, with big bud, bud candy, and overdrive. i guarantee you won't run into problems or any nutrient deficiencies unless you overfeed. Moreover, If you do organics, or make your own nutes, than even better!

i'm with you in soil, but this is a coco thread. imo, pH is extremely important in coco and should be monitored pretty closely.

Sensibowl

i'm with you in soil, but this is a coco thread. imo, pH is extremely important in coco and should be monitored pretty closely.

Yes, totally true. pH is something that's going to get off track with coco if you're not watching it.

That said, when you buy products like those from Advanced Nutrients that are more stable, in my opinion, you don't tend to have pH spikes like I've seen with other brands in the past (no, I'm not going to name names...).

I think that AN works with all growing mediums, so as long as you follow their recommendations, you can use it in coco pretty easily. And if they don't have recommendations (sorry - don't know off the top of my head about coco), then you can always try out a very light schedule until you see what the plants do in response.

:jump:

Dear Coco Gurus im only on page 10 of the thread but i have been reading for hours.
Im having some really bad problems with my coco grow.
im hand watering and im using Canna Coco Nutes I have the whole range.
My plants are in 4 -6 liter pots.
They are about 2 - 3 weeks old and around 15 - 20 cm tall.
They are extremly light green and i mean really light green.
The coco seems to stay wet for days 7 days easily.
Im feeding them on a 10 ml A 10 ml b and 5ml rhizatonic in a 5 liter mixing jug.
Are the pots im using to big for this stage of growth ????
I dont understand why the plants are so pale.
I am also feeding around 1 or 2 times a week.

Please one of you gurus help me.
Im finding this coco so hard to get used to and am thinking i should have stuck with soil.

Cheers guys and great thread im trying to work my way through it
Buy reading this thread i am learning alot.
Are the pots im using to big for this stage of growth ???

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
Dear Coco Gurus im only on page 10 of the thread but i have been reading for hours.
Im having some really bad problems with my coco grow.
im hand watering and im using Canna Coco Nutes I have the whole range.
My plants are in 4 -6 liter pots.
They are about 2 - 3 weeks old and around 15 - 20 cm tall.
They are extremly light green and i mean really light green.
The coco seems to stay wet for days 7 days easily.
Im feeding them on a 10 ml A 10 ml b and 5ml rhizatonic in a 5 liter mixing jug.
Are the pots im using to big for this stage of growth ????
I dont understand why the plants are so pale.
I am also feeding around 1 or 2 times a week.

Please one of you gurus help me.
Im finding this coco so hard to get used to and am thinking i should have stuck with soil.

Cheers guys and great thread im trying to work my way through it
Buy reading this thread i am learning alot.
Are the pots im using to big for this stage of growth ???

It seems to me that you're trying to treat them like they're in dirt. You should be feeding them every day (with the proper dosage of nutes for the stage they are in). You don't mention what type of light you have them under and the distance from that light. That could have something to do with it, but I suspect you're malnourishing your plants. Be sure to 'feed' enough solution every day that you get about a 10% run off. You might want to flush periodically with very diluted nute solution. I use House and Garden nutes with their 'Drip Clean' which keeps the salts from building up in the medium, so I don't flush until the last week before harvest. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your reply.
I have been so worried about this.
You are completely right I am treating the grow like dirt.
I have only ever grown dirt before.

Would you be able to help me with the right amount of feed for this stage in veg.

The cana schedule says to use these amounts per 5 Liters of water.

10 -15 ml A + B
10 ml Rhizatonic
12.5 ml canazym.

Do you think this is a good amount for the 3rd week of veg ?

Also you say to feed everyday. Im confused on how much water i should be giving the plants as there in 6 liter pots.

Also im always feeding with a good run off and my ph is at 5.8.
And at the moment im using a cfl and its about 15 - 18 inches away from the light. I do have a MH for vegging but I want the plants to be healthy green before i place underneath.

Is there any other information I can give you to help me ?

I really appreciate your response thank you.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
Thank you so much for your reply.
I have been so worried about this.
You are completely right I am treating the grow like dirt.
I have only ever grown dirt before.

Would you be able to help me with the right amount of feed for this stage in veg.

The cana schedule says to use these amounts per 5 Liters of water.

10 -15 ml A + B
10 ml Rhizatonic
12.5 ml canazym.

Do you think this is a good amount for the 3rd week of veg ?

Also you say to feed everyday. Im confused on how much water i should be giving the plants as there in 6 liter pots.

Also im always feeding with a good run off and my ph is at 5.8.
And at the moment im using a cfl and its about 15 - 18 inches away from the light. I do have a MH for vegging but I want the plants to be healthy green before i place underneath.

Is there any other information I can give you to help me ?

I really appreciate your response thank you.

Well, I'm not familiar with Canna's nute schedules. I would go to their website and follow their suggested feeding chart and adjust from there. Keep in mind, you're now growing 'hydroponically' using 'coco' as your medium. You need to feed/water with the nutrient solution until you get about 10% run off.. do that every day. Flush with diluted nute solution if they start showing any stress.. And, get those plants next to that bulb. CFLs run pretty cool and you can usually get them within a few inches of the plants without risk. Make sure you've got some gentle air cirulation and they don't get too hot.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if youre vegging you should try letting them dry out inbetween waterings - canna suggests this!!! (check the labels of the coco a&b!)

i like to give them food until 10-20% runoff is achieved.... then let them dry out a little before hitting them with the next dose. depending on container size, plant size and light size you could end up needing to feed them daily or once per week. but after you feed them take note of how heavy the container is.... in veg you CAN treat coco plants like soil plants and get great results. at least i have anyways.... and i like tothink i grow some good plants

good luck

Guys thank you so much for your reply.
I have been doing some test this morning.

Ok I am watering regularly with run off.
When i mix my A + B nutes and Rhizatonic i then set the ph to 5.8 - 6.0
I just checked my water runoff in the trays which has been there since yesterday and they ph was at 6.6 - 6.7 on one tray
This obviously is not good ???
#
My plain tap water ph is 7.2 and EC reading of the plain tap water is 0.4 0.6

Sorry for all the questions

Hope you guys can help and thank you again.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
Guys thank you so much for your reply.
I have been doing some test this morning.

Ok I am watering regularly with run off.
When i mix my A + B nutes and Rhizatonic i then set the ph to 5.8 - 6.0
I just checked my water runoff in the trays which has been there since yesterday and they ph was at 6.6 - 6.7 on one tray
This obviously is not good ???
#
My plain tap water ph is 7.2 and EC reading of the plain tap water is 0.4 0.6

Sorry for all the questions

Hope you guys can help and thank you again.

Don't get too hung up on the composition of your run off. You'll make yourself crazy(er). Just have your nutrients at the proper pH and it will all fall in place. I'm still not convinced on letting anything dry out in coco. Dry roots equals stunted and impaired development. Maybe let the top layer dry a little (which happens in my room from air movement), but the substrata is still moist. I'm not saying the other guy is wrong.. it's just something that I've seen very few people recommend. Anyway.. it sounds like you're on your way..

Guys thanks for ur reply.
i just hope my babies get better they seem to be looking worse.
i am feeding everyday but is this not to much for the coco it seems really wet ??

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Guys thanks for ur reply.
i just hope my babies get better they seem to be looking worse.
i am feeding everyday but is this not to much for the coco it seems really wet ??

from the back of the canna coco a & b bottles:
"plants best catch roots in the Coco medium when it is not too wet"

i interpret that as: "let them medium dry out a little bit in veg to allow the roots to do their thing"

in veg you CAN treat the coco like soil watering habit wise, but you will need to apply nutrients at each application

maybe they'll turn around for you as you continue to water everyday..... but it kinda sounds like they'er drowning to me though....

good luck

Can i repot them into soil ?
I think its going to be a better idea for me.
I have always done well with soil no problems .
I just dont no what im doing in this coco.
Some say to much water some say not enough im so confused.
Can i repot them into 15 liters soil pots ?

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
im telling you try treating the coco like dirt while your vegging...
if you have had success with dirt just try a little longer let the posts dry some before you soak them again.

of maybe contact canna's help desk directly and get the word from them - pretty sure they'll advise you to let the medium dry some before reapplying ntrient solution in veg.

have you been to cannas uk website? im pretty sure they go into explicit detail about coco usage for cannabis plants on the uk site....

I have tried this as well i just seem to be doing something wrong my second time using canna coco . i have tried letting them dry this is what i did on my last grow all though my plants gave me a huge yield they were still light green the whole grow.
This time round im feeding more like everyone says and its still happening.
I did not pre treat my coco and i think it will just be easier for me to go back to soil.

Check out my pics i got 19 oz of my hollands hope indoor on coco but the plant was not at its full health.

I just dont seem to be able to do the right things with coco.
I dont think its to little water or to much water.
Im doing something wrong.
My ph is correct i have tried adding a bit of cal mag today so maybe things will change but something is defiantly not right.