What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

the Hand Watering coco thread

stoneshaper

nicenice....
bone bro, your stuff is looking AAA
rosy hope theyll do better soon, maybe temps?(my go purple outdoor for a while in colder days)
seems like its all going nice bro!
take care!

heres some pics of the nycdiesel(supposedly) looks like the sun got them going a little..

peace out

B

bonecarver_OG

awesome soil guerilla u got going brother :D they are starting to pick up the pace huh :D ?

that should turn out very chunky in a couple of months :D

hehe - u sorted out a kick-ass avatar bro :D true guerilla spirit 4 sure! :D

peace bro!

stoneshaper

coco seems to be so fast reacting compared to any grow medium i have ever used.
it sems like one would have a lot of control, but if i would have to water daily or even every three days, id be the one controlled by the plants......
( i grow on a mountain, water get heavy when you carry it up a cliff and through forested slopes)
ill let it wait until later(indoor) until then, ill follow closely, so as to not miss any good info!!

peace and love

peace

Cruzin'

Awesome thread

Awesome thread

Great info in a great thread people. Very inspiring for those wishing to try the Coco phenomenon.
In my experience using Canna nutes and also DutchMaster in Coco. Hand watering always needed an extra injection of Magnesium at the beginning, normally a once only addition. If I neglected to add Mg at the beginning I would always get off coloured leaves during veg. Currently harvesting my latest hand watered Coco grow, the more I use Coco the more I am impressed by it's grower friendliness and ease of use.
Rock on Coco growers.

Cruzin'

Thanx ya'll. Hand water'n is an easy way to go if plant numbers are on the low side. Did a SOG a whiles back, hand watered 50 pots.
Lesson learnt = NEVER AGAIN, should've gone auto with that one.LOL.

Stay Safe. Peace.

Last edited:
B

bonecarver_OG

hehe :D yep - many plants in coco hand watered is a lot of work :D hehehe i normally have around 60 -70 plants going on with moms, dads, flowering ones and clones, every day atleast 1,5 hours of work is spent on them..

awesome pic mate! looks like a very nice setup!

B

bonecarver_OG

thanks, but the ppl contributing are all part of it :D

thanks to all of u guys :D

peace!

sugabear_II

Veteran
I'm interested in doing some rather large plants ... 4 plants in a 5' x 5' room with a 1k - maybe more light....

I'd like to be able to go 3 days or longer between watering.

What size containers would y'all recommend for this type setup?

25liter/5 gallon - or go bigger yet? I was thinking about using keg buckets like this one

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/keg-dispensing-pid-R4219.html

at 19 gallons or close to 100liters.

plants would be vegged from rooted clones for 4-6 weeks before flower.

thanks

suga

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i just like to say this is a great thread bonecarver
and everyone else who's put input in

i am looking in to the coco thing and hoping to make the switch

i will be starting with a practice clone or 2

ive still got lots of reading to do tho
peace out

B

bonecarver_OG

sugabear - the 25 liter ones will be more than enough. the 19 gallon ones would be better for outdoors - where u can litterally grow a tree in them.

2 months of VEG is suitable for the 25 liter pots. if not - the plants might not get all that big.

i have done similar grows, and then i usually give more space to the plants, veg them big, trimming etc to bring up number of branches and tips without overdoing it. i veg in 12 liter pots, and a few weeks before flowering i switch to the 25 liter pots. if not - the plants hardly use up the space given to them. i did last summer 5 big plants, in 25 liter pots, under a 600.

peace :D

Pimpslapped

Hi folks!

I'm not currently using coco, but I'm considering doing a test run in the not too distant future. Trying to avoid having to order from an online shop due stealth concerns, but we'll see what happens.

Anyone here familiar with the Smartvalve, ala Autopots? It seems like it would work in a manner somewhat similar to the 'tray watering' mentioned earlier in the thread (Sorry, haven't read the whole thing, skimmed first half though). How do you think that would work with coco in pots? My biggest concerns would be potential salt buildup, but that could perhaps be compensated for with flushing the plants a couple times a week. It seems like a good method for a low maintenance grow.

For those not familiar with Smartvalves (Smartvalve MK 2 currently avail) it's a device used for autowatering, fully mechanical operating off of float valve. Gravity fed from a reservoir, it fills it's container with water 1" deep, then shuts off the flow of water until it has all drained/evaporated/gone away. So basically it'd flood a tray 1" deep, let the plants soak up the water and the tray dry out (Faster than pots would, by how much I don't know) before filling it to a depth of 1" again.

Pimpslapped

As soon as I have time, money, room and have sourced out what all I need... I'm planning on giving it a try. Though I'm more inclined to stick with organic soils for the most part, due to simplicity of keeping the grow going. (No real worries about PH issues and such) It's nice to be able to leave the plants alone for a couple days if needed without really worrying about it.

Seems like it would be an ideal coco solution though, from what I've heard the smartvalve/autopot works well with soil, never really letting it dry out which should carry over to coco.

I'm not sure if it would be better to run a dilute nute solution in the res for the flooding, or just use regular water for that and add the nutes via hand watering. Somewhat concerned about potential salt buildups or burn though.

Here's a quick link to the smartvalve: Click

Last edited: