What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Hey Tom,

Quick question: Going to try your homeade 6' fabric planters this year. I am wondering apx how many gallons of water each planter consumes per irrigation cycle?

Thanks a ton,
Mr^^

Saw a lot of good Blue Dream outdoor from last year. I am planning on running Blue Dream, Skunk x Afghan, and maybe some Kens GDP cuts. Might just black box the GDP though.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hi MedResearcher,

As a rule of thumb I calculate a water volume of around 10% of soil volume per "maintenance" (normal) watering. Occasionally I'll do a light watering (5%) or a more thorough soaking (15%) but 10% is the "normal" watering once we are in maintenance mode.

So that would be 1/2 gallon water for a 5 gallon container. These 6 foot containers are up around 50 cubic feet or something over 300 gallons. This requires about 30 gallons per cycle. -Tom

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
so i just ordered 15 200gal smart pots and 3 pallets of promix. one of you masters i want to guide me. im planning on veging my mother plants that i have now until may, i figure those will be the ones that are most suitable for the 200gals. im estimating i can have 15 3-4ft bushes by may1st. then place 1 per 200gal. plan is to submerge 200gal 1/3 in the ground so they somewhat retain moisture. also going to cut nice big hole in center of the smart pot for the tap root to go down. NOW the questions... how do you guys feel about placing one of these 200gals in a bog? the weight from the soil should drop the 200gal into a constant 6inches of water. outdoor hydro? this could be something to try... my goal is to set these up so i only have to visit once a week or 2. thoughts? tips?

Ribsauce

first of all i want to say this is an awesome thread and that Tom and Butte and many others of you have inspired me SO MUCH over the past year and i just wanted to say thanks...that being said i have a few questions / statements of my own to chime in haha... Tom you say when looking for genetics you typically look for narrow leaf sativas... i was wondering if you have ever experimented with making hybrids with any of the Real Seed Co. Land-race hash plants... last year i grew out their Nepalese and grew out a stretchier pheno (apparently not the best yielding pheno) female to over 11 feet tall... this girl was a monster although she didnt yield all that well for her size... like Fisher stated earlier this girl didnt do anything but stretch until sept 21 outdoors (equinox)... i was very scared that this plant wouldnt finish as far north as i am even though she is very hardy and extremely cold resistant... i came back a few days later to see pistols popping out everywhere... she finished fine even through a couple killer frosts here and i really enjoyed the beauty of the plant... the buds themselves left a little to desire being very loose in structure but this is what i expected to get out of her anyway being that it is landrace...so my plans are to cross her or similar others to other bigger yielding strains i have that are more "worked" or "refined"... i have a good pile of genes at my disposal but was thinking of crossing the Nepalese with some or all of these haha: HTC's version of SCBB, Highland Mex X Blueberry ( like Butte's one pic), TW, X-18 ( i think this would be a hybrid from hell haha) a nice yielding golden skush (even though you said you that hindu kush didnt work well for ya ha) and some of Grindhouse's Ancient Afghani's once their released... i was just wondering if you had any suggestions or experiences and just wanted to thank you guys again for giving me something to look forward to over these cold cold months

(heres some pics of the Nep female from last year sorry about not having any good whole plant shots but im guerrila and didnt have enough room at the spot to get far enough away and still see the whole plant )

Attachments

• 100_2334.jpg
    100_2334.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_2700.jpg
    100_2700.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 100_2709.jpg
    100_2709.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_2590.jpg
    100_2590.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 25

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good lookin plant Ribsauce, would seem to me theres to much internodal space between branches.(that sound right,lol)

could understand a plant like that, sun able to get to the interior of the plant.

didnt do anything last year but hold the plants up, im gonna try removein all the growth from the main stalk, out to the point wheres theres 2ft of growth at the end of the branch once flowerin is noticable.

CBF

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have come to seek for the mid bud structure myself, somewhere around the halfway mark between broadleaf hashplants and narrow tropicals. The broadleafs want to become afflicted with mold, the narrows are wispy. Middle ground is best imo.

i can do the thick indies here, really no chance of mold, plenty dry. racos X18 x DC was like stone, grew great. just not a fast big plant.

Dogfish, strawberry dog, were my winners, last year, great yields. bubba, chemD, hopefully moonshines ol blue, will fill the menu this year and a cross im lookin at now, OlBlue X Jacks Cleaner did a few years back. look really good so far indoors growin, bushy fast growin plants. good hybrid vigor.

be shootin for 10 6/6.5ft plants in a greenhouse, on 4ft centers, will be a bit cramped, plants will be touchin id imagine at the end.

so most likely im in the wrong thread, lol. 10lb plant would stick out for miles around here.

CBF

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
I want one of those beer/wine trees... I just dont have room for anything else thats in this thread :D

awesome plants all :)

Dödsknark

Great thread. I don't really have anything to add. Can't compete hear at 55 north but damn do I love your shows!!!

And Butte! I'm waiting for your Bubblegum version... The BubbleButte :D

picture.php

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Thx for the reply tom, i was a bit confused. I had no idea a cloudy day could trigger some strains into flower.

D

danimal7

so i just ordered 15 200gal smart pots and 3 pallets of promix. one of you masters i want to guide me. im planning on veging my mother plants that i have now until may, i figure those will be the ones that are most suitable for the 200gals. im estimating i can have 15 3-4ft bushes by may1st. then place 1 per 200gal. plan is to submerge 200gal 1/3 in the ground so they somewhat retain moisture. also going to cut nice big hole in center of the smart pot for the tap root to go down. NOW the questions... how do you guys feel about placing one of these 200gals in a bog? the weight from the soil should drop the 200gal into a constant 6inches of water. outdoor hydro? this could be something to try... my goal is to set these up so i only have to visit once a week or 2. thoughts? tips?

hey Aero,
I think Tom is trying to tell us to "choose your parents carefully", sounds like you got it all planned out (xcept the bog?) however the most important info in this thread is GENETICS , unless you have the right ones ,your may 1st schedule could turn into a disaster .The "HAIR TRIGGER" genetics that TomHill speaks of can cause TCF if planted too early

may 1st sunrise 6:10am sunset 8:01 = 14 hr day

if you dont plant the right shit may 1st there is a good chance of the plants flowering early and trying to reveg at the same time.
I think Tom called this "3 blade funk". It can be much worse than a "3 blade funk" .Ive had TCF (total crop failure ) planting the wrong gens(clones) too early
good luck bro

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
Yea ive never had my plants flower early. no matter what the strain is. call me lucky... genetics is def a big part of it. thats why im scared to pop these beans i made. some of them take 10weeks indoors, dunno if ill have enough time at 44 degrees latitude. ima most likely just stick with the ak47 its resilient to everything. and doesnt take to long to finish with massive buds. last year i took the clones from 24 hours light and put them out, no problems at all.

P

planty

Butte -

Come on over with that Sun Eye bro! Curious on what my readings are after I went Paul Bunyan on my yard! I'm pretty sure we're just a stones throw from one another...

I'm going with 6' around 18" deep pots...a slew of goodies from pvfs and a lot of back breaking work

Are you still just using a few 42W Cool Whites? My buddy only uses 8 for his whole field..he has 20 6x6 beds and 17 4x4 beds...I wanted to use 8 in my 12 x 24 half way house , will that be too much light too early?

Was thinking on picking these http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2CUU4?Pid=search up...thoughts?

Also, on a completely unrelated note...is any one running the clone ya'll called The Beast still? I bet that NL/TrainWreck would be a 10+ out door from all the stories my buddy who bred her tells me about it...

Tom Hill

Veteran
Butte was the first guy I saw who took his lighting into the garden with him. This move/innovation was sheer brilliance. To folks who for this is an option, it is a highly recommended one. It slaughters all this talk or certainly the importance placed on finding the right cut when it comes to avoidance of spring flowering.

Wheels are turning, and I am working out a little off-grid innovation this year myself. Tom's "extendo-domes" hehe - single plant greenhouses with solar powered lighting that allow for extremely early transplant of clones into their final homes in remote locations. I'd like to transplant -at least a few- into these things in the next couple of weeks. We'll see how it goes, folks to the north should be able to grow double digit plants with an early harvest with this type of approach.. -T

What an ingenius idea Tom! I could only imagine what this could lead to. my only question is what about soil temperature during the colder periods when these plants are out?

MedResearcher

Veteran
Is it possible to grow a 5+ pound plant that does not exceed 4 feet tall using LST? Or something similar?

Imo, you can. Haven't seen one, but I think its possible.

If you build it..... it will come^^

Ive often joked/thought about a train wreck plant ran on a wine grape trellis..... 20' horizontal plant :artist:

Mr^^

herbal gerbil

Tom,

I like your style when it comes to being inovative. The off grid solar lighting system is awsome. When you described your extendo domes above, I imangined my home made hunting blind in the woods turned into a extend a gro hunting shack.

I used to plant trees in the piney woods of Texass and lived in the back of my old chevy truck all winter. For power I rigged up my solar power system on a 12"x12" piece of plywood. Regulator, controler, fuses, inverter, etc.. all nicley laid out. Even had the 120 volt florecent going. The entire set up including battery was freaking tiny.

I live pretty far north, 42' lat. So this idea sent shivers down my spine. Bet every grower in the north would love to see the extend a dome.

I think a heat mat would take care of a lot of root heating. Do they make a 12v heat mat or tape? You could always run an inverter to 120V.

Then there in biothermal energy, derived from the process of turning compostable materials into soil building humus. Organisms in the compost generate heat. You can contain this process in a sm greenhouse and heat yer little thingies, till they are bigins.
As a side note. If you just huck some shit in the bottom of your cold frame or mini green house, the shit is going to anaerobicy digest. low to no O2. As the compost action "happens" as the say, some crazy shit happens, methane gas and ammonia will be givin off. High levels of these gasses should be avoided, so just vent them out. Peat moss is also used to filter ammonia gas.

I imagine your ext dome to kind of look like a raised fabric smart pot like thing. Covered with a cockpit like gr house pointing s. North half would hold the light and reflective material. Solar componants and bat. housed in dry space further north. Come spring time "LIFT OFF"!!!!! Crack a Bitter woman beer and watch her rocket.

Crazy to think like this when there is still 10" of snow still. It is sunny here today. I should throw down a black tarp on a potential landing spot.

HG

Status
Not open for further replies.