What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
TG thanks so much. You kind of answered what to expect on a per month basis, too.. I have absolutely no idea if I should be expecting them to go from, say, 5' to 8' in a month, which would be roughly a hair over an inch a day, or a foot as you imply would be a good thing.. Girth will be hard to judge for us since they have a flat bottom so I'm not thinking too much into that aspect..

Last week I was asking how everyone got theirs so bushy and after thinking about it a bit(which I think spawned the whole pot-size/rootbound discussion) it's probably not a bad thing that ours aren't as bushy because we'd have to put 2X as much 'bushiness' into 1/2 the space since we only have 180 degrees to use. I'm thinking, and I kind of saw it first hand the last time I was out there to tie-down, that having to cram 2X as many branches into 1/2 the space would make for some pretty ideal conditions for mold come flower time.. Hopefully the side branches will get so long that I can get some decent spacing between branches.
If anyone has some experience with this (HL maybe?) and how to handle it (thinning?) I'd love to hear some tips as it just dawned on me recently that this situation is going to occur for sure with a horizontal training situation and my pure SWT#3 and Alpha/SWT3 Crosses very well may run into this problem because my SWTs love to mold even indoors.. I'm almost already regretting putting them out..

Thanks

BB

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Been throwing together some combo hortonova/wire fence caging. Think it'll work for a bit..then more hortonova In august after growing through the cages. Many of the 'nomaad blue dreams' are 6'x6 now.

Tom, right on brother, looking so on track. Yes, it's getting fun, and actually decent growth after the spring..we'll see what happens..Good luck to all.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 14

Madhemp

6/28/10 pics

6/28/10 pics

DP 6-28-10.jpg Durban Poison

Mendo 2-28-10.JPG Mendocino

Just a couple of updates to share from earlier this week.

Wishing good Karma and respect to all on this thread

MH

P.S The Hortonova kicks ass. I wish I new about it before I started with the wire. Oh well, next year I'll know

nomaad

Veteran
Looking very nice, Madhemp.

So... here is a question for the masters of the craft. In the off-season I was contemplating and researching how to eradicate systemic PM in a strain.... The strain I was thinking of at the time was AfPak, a sleeper favorite of mine, but a magnet for PM. From what I read it would seem that some strains just have PM that is passed from the system of the mother to the clones, even if no powdery manifestations are found on the leaves. Now that I have managed to get AfPak back into my menagerie of moms, it has come from two sources. One is an externally clean teen and the other are plants that might have been destined for a black box somewhere had they not been riddled with white powdery spots on their leaves... these plants came out of a sohum greenhouse with high humidity and bad (no) ventilation besides open ends. Not a lot of breeze ever going thru it...

Anyhow... when I was doing my research I came across a method of using some kind of nasty shit on the plant that will eradicate PM in the system... that plant, nor clones taken from it are not fit for consumption, but the following generation can again be used and will not have PM.

Anybody know what I am talking about? I would like to take the time and effort to do this with AfPak... and put her back out into the world without the PM.

I cannot remember what the substance is... I think I posted the info when i found it... but I can;t remember where or when exactly it was. Any help with my early onset senility would be appreciated.

nomaad

Veteran
Tom: you mentioned mycostop in another thread. I'd like to hit a couple of my ladies with it and see if they like it.... I have a few droopy ones out there... thought drying them out would help as it usually is an issue with overwatering with the Pineapple Cough, but it has not to the enxtent I am hoping for. They still seem to be growing well... The possibility of soil borne pathogens is nagging at me.

will this negatively affect the beneficials in the soil? do you have a gram per gallon dilution you work with?

thanks.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Heya Nomaad,

Trichoderma harzianum (RootShield etc), Bacillus subtilis (Companion etc), Streptomyces griseoviridis (Mycostop etc), etc are all fairly broad spectrum biofungicides. These are soil fungi, bacterium, actinomycetes - they are the beneficials in the soil. What we are talking about is simply upping the population of particular beneficials that target particular soilborne pathogens. If I had leaves that were still down 3 weeks+ after transplant through various soil saturation levels, and they were not rootbound and no breakage etc, then I'd start to suspect that something may indeed be amiss down below.

So far so good over here, but I have confirmed several cases of fungal disease this year already (and June is early for this historically) in different gardens where the only common denominator seems to be this snotty spring we just had. So I am inoculating for soilborne pathogens, as a preventative measure.

For Mycostop, I stir a 5g pack into 1/2 gallon of water, let rest for 30min, stir again, then mix that solution into about 12 gallons of water in the sprayer. Soil surface spray about 1 gallon of that per large container (so a 5gram pack does about 12 large containers), then water-in to a depth of about 2 inches or so. -T

BugMeNot

I have two girls that droop extremely bad when it gets dark outside, would this be the strain or an issue with the plant? Come morning they perk right up

nomaad

Veteran
Heya Nomaad,

Trichoderma harzianum (RootShield etc), Bacillus subtilis (companion etc), Streptomyces griseoviridis (mycostop etc), etc are all fairly broad range biofungicides. These are soil fungi, bacterium, actinomycetes - they are the beneficials in the soil. What we are talking about is simply upping the population of particular beneficials that target particular soilborne pathogens. If I had leaves that were still down 3 weeks+ after transplant through various soil saturation levels, and they were not rootbound and no breakage etc, then I'd start to suspect that something may indeed be amiss down below.

So far so good over here, but I have confirmed several cases of fungal disease this year already (and June is early for this historically) in different gardens where the only common denominator seems to be this snotty spring we just had. So I am inoculating for soilborne pathogens, as a preventative measure.

For Mycostop, I stir a 5g pack into 1/2 gallon of water, let rest for 30min, stir again, then mix that solution into about 12 gallons of water in the sprayer. Soil surface spray about 1 gallon of that per large container (so a 5gram pack does about 12 large containers), then water-in to a depth of about 2 inches or so. -T

i'm all about some prevention. thanks, sensei.

Tom Hill

Veteran
BugMeNot,

No that is expected as plants get into a day/night rhythm. Soilborne diseases usually show (wilt) first on particularly hot days etc, when transpiration demand is at its highest - but the roots can't keep up with it due to the disconnect. -T

baet

largest SSHxVelvets are 5 1/2' x 4 1/2' , GreenCrack 4 1/2' x 5' , OGK 3' x 3'ish and my BDreams are babies still at 12" - 15" tall.

i'll take some photos tomorrow and post.

Norkali

Hola all, just been sittin' here in the corner watching the fun unfold...don't mind me...:tiphat:

As for the PM question nomaad...are you thinking of Meltatox? Chimera had a thread on here that claimed that the stuff could completely 'kill' PM and wipe it 'out' of the plant. Honestly, I do not believe that is the case. I believe it was Grapeman who not only pointed out that PM has been shown to have developed a resistance to Meltatox (back in the 90's); but also explained how Powdery Mildew does not live 'inside' the plant systemically. As far as I know, some strains are just genetically predisposed to easily 'catch' PM - more specifically, some provide *something* that makes it more hospitable for spore germination. I have noticed that anything 'xxxx-Kush' is prone to PM...Bubba Kush, Banana Kush, etc. (With the interesting exception of OG...but I digress.)

The microscopic nature of spores, in my opinion, is what creates the perception of a 'systemic PM' that never goes away....VERY tough to eliminate millions, possibly billions of fungal spores in an area, save a full laboratory-spec clean-up, and who of us can really pull that off? To me the answer is what I believe Tom was touching upon, bio-fungicides - putting in good bacteria vs. wiping out all. I see it to be very similar to the medical issue of using anti-biotics in relation to pro-biotics - you must ensure you have natural 'good' bacteria helping to fight for you. P.M., just like E. Coli is basically everywhere, it is just a matter of the P.M./E. Coli finding a host who does not have enough defenses (good bacteria) before it can strike. It's really a numbers game if you think about it....:smoker:

This is though of course, just one aspect of the issue that is powdery mildew, but one that I feel is often overlooked.

dankydoodle

First of all, I'd like to say how much I have enjoyed this thread. Very informative. I have learned a lot from you guys...Tom, Butte, nomaad, you guys are the s%4@! The plants you guys nurture are truly amazing.

I picked up the Cannabibles, about a year ago, and just figured out that Tom is the Tom Hill mentioned in #3. Very nice to be able to basically pick the brains of such knowledgable folks. Thanks to all who have contributed all the valuable info this thread contains. This stuff is priceless! I realize now, how little I know on the subject. But I'm sure with all that I have learned from you guys, my efforts will be a lot more productive. Keep it coming. Peace to all!

well I would like to give you all a little update on my garden... I haven't gone to the larger patch today because of the rain, but here is my loan ranger... before and after pictures... the first one was taken june 3...
IMG00298.jpg

here we are now at the start of july!
july1.jpg

The cage is a 59" but pushed into the ground I would say around 3 and a half feet tall. She is looking a little droopy because of the foliar feed I gave her this morning... thanks again to everyone for all the knowledge. I am going to be picking up some hortonova soon for the rest of my garden...

bubblebert

Just wanted to say this thread is amazing, so much useful knowledge and positivity. It has inspired me to finally contribute to this site after a year of lurking, and also made an indoor grower want to move outdoors as soon as possible. Thank you to all!

Nomaad, I hear you on the PM problems.. Living on the coast in southern CA we seem to get it pretty bad here. Is the nasty stuff you're thinkin of Eagle 20? I in no way recommend this stuff, but I've heard it's pretty successful at eradicating PM. I'm also skeptical on PM being systemic. I have a chem 91 cut that had PM really bad, but when moved to a clean house and treated with a product similar to Greencure (potassium bicarbonate) I haven't had a speck of powder. I think the right environment and a healthy plant is all it takes to get rid of it. Thanks again to all the inspirational outdoor growers, you have absolutely blown my mind. Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts