What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
One of You Guys suggested Black boxing plants when they went too far. Thanks. I did 4 plants so far, and its working out real good.
picture.php

picture.php

Tom Hill

Veteran
Tom, do you think that the "sad" plant issue you're experiencing could be dealt with by heavily pruning the start before transplant. All of my full season Blue Dreams are in 10 gallon pots and totally happy, but I have a number of Clueberries in 5's that just won't perk up. I attributed the sadness to cold and getting moved around. They are in smartpots... the air pruning done by the pots seems like it might exacerbate the problem... airpruning=less roots, right?

Not a lot of time but wanted to get up with you because I know you're about to go for it. I'll try to get back with some other comments later.

Yes, the imbalance of root:leaf matter is counter balanced this way just like when we might trim a few leaves back when we are cloning. Or, (the fruit tree industry again) pruning back (the usual rec is prune back hard) a bare root tree upon purchase at transplanting time. Will I do it? No way, I will take my licks and wait for the plant to balance out on its own. I really do not like the idea of topping plants outside, that's an indoor tactic imo. As long as the sun is moving through the sky, a mountainous property (plant) bears more fruit than a flat one - more surface area.

Airpruning, hehee. Root killing through oxidation is probably more accurate. That's whats going on with the sides/surface of my breathing containers anyway. Heat and oxygen are pruning roots alright, pruning us right outa business. Hence, straw, to temper the effects of both and something to wrap around the sides to cool it down is a good idea too. This will maximize usable soil area imo. -T

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Im going to get some bales of hay, and spread it over my gardens. My raised beds have only 12" redwood sides. But my plots are tilled 18" to 2' deep. No air pruning here.
I wonder how much a Haze plant can produce in a 8'x12' area, 6' tall?

localhero

dr purp

make sure its straw not hay, the hay is the one they feed animals with, straw the one used for bedding in horse stalls and what not. hay has seeds and is a food source so you would probably be more susceptable to atracting vermin. you probably already know this lol, but maybe others dont.

P

planty

That freak hail storm yesterday really has me scared. I'm going out this week no matter what ...

HorseMouth

Central Oregon is getting Cold Rocked at night these days. 29 degrees two nights ago, 26 last night. Got up at sunrise, frost all over the windshields/hoods of the cars. So that frost had some sticking power. But none of the fragile Lilac Flowers seemed to be damaged, so that's a good sign. Unplugged the heaters in the Greenhouse, Plants are sad tho', no getting around that.

A little clear-up for the Control Wizard ph/water meter. The company sends a little scrub pad for the end of the metal probe. I cannot stress enough how much you need to use this to clean the metal end after every use! I've noticed ppl. just wipe the dirt off with their hands, This greasy wipe down really messes with the reactive properties of the metals and the surrounding soil. Giving false readings and general needle movement. Also, DO NOT leave the probe in the soil for a long period of time (more then 10/15 minutes), this is just asking for trouble.

Since I've had mine for years, I've had to switch to a simple green kitchen scour brush to clean the probe end. This is a very simple design and I believe human error is a main factor for 'lemon' probes.

Weather sez this is the last night of sub-freezing temps (for a while at least), GL all.

Peace

P

planty

Old Betsy hates bad weather and dim lit days... She comes in Oct 1 so it's no surprise to me she has started to go in to the 3 blade funk even with supplemental... I only have 2 nice big ones that aren't funked out. The DOG & Bomb Threat look great though...Maybe I will just end up with 1 Betsy 2 Snow Kush 1 Royal and 2 OG K for my 10th row of 6.....Got to have a little fun and test the waters some time right??

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I put in a dozen plants a few days ago. I dug 30 gallon holes, mixed up some soil using Tom's recipe and dragged bag after bag to these holes, lol.... I'm curious to see how much of a difference it makes in size and yield compared to a standard dug hole with just ammendments added to the native soil.....

Now we haven't had rain in ten days and none is forcast for the next ten. I checked them earlier today and a few are wilting and they are 2 feet tall. So tonight after dark I'll have to sneak around and water them. I envy you guys that can do this legally. There's nothing worse than tending plants all summer only to have someone steal them. This year I bought a game camera for each plot. At least I'll know if the plants have been found and I won't continue tending them and I'll kill them all, lol......

H

humboldtlocal

Old Betsy hates bad weather and dim lit days... She comes in Oct 1 so it's no surprise to me she has started to go in to the 3 blade funk even with supplemental... I only have 2 nice big ones that aren't funked out. The DOG & Bomb Threat look great though...Maybe I will just end up with 1 Betsy 2 Snow Kush 1 Royal and 2 OG K for my 10th row of 6.....Got to have a little fun and test the waters some time right??

Variety is the spice of life. :) We have 29 strains we are running this year. We need one more to make it a nice round number.:)

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Variety is the spice of life. :) We have 29 strains we are running this year. We need one more to make it a nice round number.:)

I like the Variety of spice too. You have me beat, temporarily. LOL. I have 21 varieties growin, and another 8 varieties in the seed trays

Hash Man

Ok so all the info on watering has been great guys, but i have to admit I am more confused than ever on how i should set up my irrigation. I like HL idea of the emitter tubing and Planty's setup too, b ut I think i will stick with Toms method on this one, still have some technical questions. Here is the original quote from Tom Hill

"From water source to large collection tank. From large collection tank to a 305 gallon mixing tank where I can add measured out food while it fills/mixes, then off to the garden, from the mixing tank it goes 1-1/2" poly to 3/4" poly ea servicing about 6 plants, each plant gets 6 spaghetti tubes with spray emitters."

so in this setup, my plan, at this point, is to put a 500 gallon rez nex to my 1000 gallon holding tank that came with my house. i will pump water into the rez to miz my nutes up before watering. I have 36 plants, so am i to assume i should run 6 sets of these 1-1/2 inch tubing systems (as described above) and connect them all to one sump pump through some sort of homemade pvc valve with 6 outputs? Sorry for lack of technical lingo, i am a newbie at irrigation. Also, I am working with a downhill slope, because my rez sits on the top of the hill above my terraced slopes. Any idea on the best size pump to use, or if i should just roll with gravity feed? Also, do the spray emmitters get clogged at all?

P

planty

You need a manifold. That is what you come out of your pump with to distribute the 1 or 1.25" feed lines that have reducing t's in them for each bed to bring the 3/4" servicing line up and the sprayers come off the 3/4 with 1/4" line....

P

planty

Here's what it looks like..

Here's what it looks like..

All done..

Attachments

• IMG00134-20100523-1446.jpg
    IMG00134-20100523-1446.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 16

nomaad

Veteran
The dripworks page on the emitters HL recommends says Even Watering - PC emitters have the same flow regardless of pressure. Seems like this factor could not be more perfectly suited to a gravity feed system...

Status
Not open for further replies.