What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimajones-AICC-

Veteran
Hi Tom, thanks starting this thread, i bet it will be helpfull.

I want to ask you about DC.

When do you think is the sooner time for move out Deep Chunk without bloom-reveg problems?

Im making really big my DC "seis" clone in indoor (now is 1,70m.) :)..and i want to move outdoor asap for making it huge with our Spanish sun.

Thanks and best kharma.

Butte

Veteran
Well, I can tell this thread ought to get some legs pretty quick, so I'll jump right in with some pictures and write something up later today.

Here's to wetting your appetites! :)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

... and one from a friend's place that always sets new standards...

picture.php

More later - Butte

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
damn bro. motivation for this years outdoor crop. I got about 10,000 seeds that i made bubblesour x chemsour. wondergun x chemsour. durgamata x chemsour. Im thinking about sprouting a few 1000 then sexing. but im caught between a rock and a hard place because i grew this AK47 last year, and purposely kept a mother to cut clones for outside this year. NOW i already know i can get 1lb easily a plant with the ak outside. and it is more resilient then any other plant ive ever grown. i do a test going into each winter, i like to c what strains can last through the cold. the ak47 lasted through a snow storm and over 3 weeks of 32 degree weather. they also finish up about a week or 2 before the choppers come flying. so what do i do? cut the clones... or start the seeds? the strains from seed are going to take longer to finish and im at 44degree latitude. thoughts?

GroBoy2000

Exciting thread, love the huge plants in huge pots. I've been going back and forth with ideas concerning limited very large ones, or many minis in a raised bed thing. Soil around here is mostly very rough. I'd incorporate a small amount of native, 20% or less, and then a standard organic for the most part. Maybe feed 3 or 4 plants with one 200gal res? Anything done will be experimental and new.

200gal seems very large for something not right in my backyard, or that I dont have constant access too. Not sure if 100 gal would be a lot better, as far as irrigation etc, but that's what I'm more inclined to do right now. Wondering about burying it down a half foot so that it doesn't stand up as high, and keeps the bottoms out of direct weather. Not sure if this would cause drainage issues, but, might see

Yield wise, I would expect just as much if not more from a healthy sativa late in the season, as I would a nice thick squat indica early in the season. Though I don't expect 8 and 10lbs, lol, 2 or 3 would be nice and ideal.

I've only grown late plants outdoors, so it'll be exciting to get some early April stuff out. Out of the 4 strains I have so far to put out, the panama from ace seems the most promising in a large container or hole. I don't think O. Haze will finish at the 32N I'm at, but if Im able to buy more stock before May, a bunch of haze crosses are high on the list. Anything under 13 weeks should have no problems.

Good luck guys, looking forward to the knowledge.

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
man you'd have to be a fookin experienced lumberjack to drop those plants, you could fuck yourself up if ya dropped one on yourself,lol

CBF

Oh boy, here we go....just some quick initial thoughts to spur conversation....

Factors of consideration: Genetics, Soil, Light, Support, and Preparation......

Also- something I feel gets overlooked is a plant's "root vigor". I carefully evaluate each plant while re-potting to make sure I see EXPLOSIVE root growth. Bright white, vast, and with heavily developed hyphae systems. I have noticed this is a trait that breeds true from variety to variety and I'm not sure everybody pays attention to this but it is crucial to growing large plants that harvest in the 3-10 pound range.....

Soil- Too vast for a quick paragraph but DEEP and WIDE with the appropriate mix that complements your native soil. I alternate my moisture management with deep watering and shallow watering depending on temp and each plants needs. I typically incorporate a large compost tea prep in all my shallow watering cycles. Raised, "breathable" planters on top of an already prepared bed of soil is my preferred method. You must incorporate a system that allows large amounts of oxygen in your root zone....

Light- Each plant must receive the maximum amount of direct light available in a 24 hour day. Plant spacing must allow lateral light penetration to achieve that "Globe" shape as seen in Tom's giant ladies and your garden location should be lit from sun-up to sun-down with no shade....

As I was told by the person who got me started : if you want big plants , grow big roots .

From my experience , direct sunlight is a very important factor . 5-6 hrs direct light is about the minimum . Less than that produces plants that may appear to be growing fast , but actually they are stretching for the sunlight . Sacrificing integrity of the main stalk / branches (i.e. limbs break easier) and yield to reach those heights .

D

danimal7

This is a kind of special nitch, one I am particularly familiar with. I will be growing big ones this year, many of you folks will as well. There are many things to consider. Let's explore these many things together in this thread.

I'd like to start by asking what genetics you folks feel are particularly suitable to large plants outdoors?

Let's just dig right in and crush this horribly uneducated belief that "indicas" are what we want for yield and ask ourselves.. Well, what are some attributes we might want in a plant in this situation? Let's talk about big plants outside, let's build them in our minds, let's dissect it all together. Anything goes here, all thoughts will be well considered and appreciated. -T

Tom & Butte , my veg room runs on 24hrs, clones in said room cannot be put outside until june 21,( cause they want to bloom/reveg and get all fucked up). if I plant june 21 I can grow a pretty big plant 1-2lbs like this, but I would love to grow monsters like you guys
Question is, do you guys grow those biggies from seed or clone?
and if clone , how do you do it
I just cracked some beans that looks like a good one for outdoor ,
original haze x skunk 1(Titans haze??) GH freebies
but like I say its in a 24hr veg room and if I plant too early they get all fucked up....
here what It looks like when I plant clones june 21
thanks guys

J

*Journeyman*

my veg room runs on 24hrs, clones in said room cannot be put outside until june 21,( cause they want to bloom/reveg and get all fucked up)
I've seen plants put outside later April that were run 24/0 indoors through the winter that did not go into flower :biggrin:. That's all about the genetics but you'd have to be prepared to harvest very early December :whistling:

Tom & Butte , my veg room runs on 24hrs, clones in said room cannot be put outside until june 21,( cause they want to bloom/reveg and get all fucked up). if I plant june 21 I can grow a pretty big plant 1-2lbs like this, but I would love to grow monsters like you guys
Question is do you guys grow those biggies from seed or clone?

Sounds like you have a light sensitive strain . If you don't want to get rid of the clone mother you are growing , then continue what you are doing and put special consideration into a well airated soil when you put them out this summer .

It can also be done from seed . Genetics , sunlight and soil are biggest factors . Start seeds at 14.5 hrs of light . Any seedling that tries to flower under that light regimen , discard it . Put them outside at the earliest date that the weather will allow (better yet , start seeds outside at the earliest date) . Take special precautions to keep critters at bay , attacks from insects will stunt growth .

The biggest outdoor plants I have seen were not growing in soil . They were growing in a bed of pine needles and leaves . The plants were not intentionally planted there . Seeds (came from bricked imports) were tossed in the needle/leaf pile just to be discarded the previous year . Well , the next spring , they sprouted . Within three months , the sprouts were 10'+ monsters . They did have full exposure to the sun . The needle/leaf pile was old so it had a lot of composted material from which the roots were feeding from . The leaves in the pile also acted as a mulch to hold moisture , which was the main factor of keeping them alive since the bed they were growing was very well airated (brush off a few leaves from the top of the pile and I could see roots). The only drawback was stability . A late summer storm came through and knocked most of them over . Even then , they still survived .

D

danimal7

since I live in Va , genetics aren't as easy to get as mmj states . I have 5 strains going now ,
Alaskan ice
titans haze
Afghani
razzberry kush
silver pearl

unopened beans

love potion
white russian
blueberry
jack the ripper
and something labeled shanti/mr nice SSSH x jack the ripper

so , I was thinking the love potion & the titans haze might make very large plants if grown properly . Ive seen the LP yield big indoors, and the THaze I dont really know much except it is branchy, leggy and pretty full

what do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.