What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealHash

Horticultural enthusiast
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HPIM0705.jpg

Actually that's totally viable. And not expensive if youre in the know. Large organic farms adjust ph, golf courses adjust if necessary its totally doable and common. Not everybody has that gopher perfect ph water piped in from the springs of pandora...i adjust 2k gallons every day from an 8 + ph. Organic have ur soil tested at the end of this season and go from there. I did the same last year no ph adjust and my soils ph got hacked to 8.5 and useless for this season. This year I ph and my garden looks much healthier to me. Mendo sweet garden is that a pruning walkboard? I like it have an awesome finish

8.5 pH and they were still growing? Did you notice any deficiencies last year? I would imagine that some of the micros like Cu and Zn would get locked out at that level. Bummer that you had to redo your soil. I see mine as an investment. Put a lot of $$ into it. Would hate to have to start again from scratch

Thanks for the testimony man. I'll definitely be testing my soil at the end of the season to see where I'm at.

Bo Hasset

Boron is ancillary and unavailable if everything else isn't also dialed in .. Get your soil right first then worry about turbo charging growth.

Would the license you were hopeful to obtain under the failed SB 1262 granted you x-ray vision for soil analysis as well?

I find most things you post or comment on to be helpful to some degree or another, but your canned response to "get your soil right first" any time someone asks a question is helpful only to the extent that you've stated something that is indeed true. However, it is so practical and obvious that assuming that the person asking for input already has their soil "dialed in" and actually answering their question at that starting point would be much more useful.

How many people do you know in this "industry" that take the time, effort and money to do this kind of "gardening" on even just a 25-plants in 200 gallon pots sort of scale that wouldn't make sure their soil wasn't up to snuff? I don't meet many people that don't bother to have at least one analysis done annually when trying to go big, but maybe you do. I don't know.

My real point here is to just climb down from your soapbox (highest tree near your mounds in this case) and get dirty with the rest of us. It'll be OK. I know you're the omnipotent, herb juggling, weed wizard of the west, but I bet you can still learn something new if you'd take the time to write out real responses and attempt discourse.

Don't let the "I had to slap together 50 yards of soil from wherever i could" approach fool you into thinking anything else.

Also, please tell me what my soil is lacking from the photo posted, so I can compare x-ray vision with routine agronomic sampling procedures and results. Thanks.

epicorchard

Would the license you were hopeful to obtain under the failed SB 1262 granted you x-ray vision for soil analysis as well?

I find most things you post or comment on to be helpful to some degree or another, but your canned response to "get your soil right first" any time someone asks a question is helpful only to the extent that you've stated something that is indeed true. However, it is so practical and obvious that assuming that the person asking for input already has their soil "dialed in" and actually answering their question at that starting point would be much more useful.

How many people do you know in this "industry" that take the time, effort and money to do this kind of "gardening" on even just a 25-plants in 200 gallon pots sort of scale that wouldn't make sure their soil wasn't up to snuff? I don't meet many people that don't bother to have at least one analysis done annually when trying to go big, but maybe you do. I don't know.

My real point here is to just climb down from your soapbox (highest tree near your mounds in this case) and get dirty with the rest of us. It'll be OK. I know you're the omnipotent, herb juggling, weed wizard of the west, but I bet you can still learn something new if you'd take the time to write out real responses and attempt discourse.

Don't let the "I had to slap together 50 yards of soil from wherever i could" approach fool you into thinking anything else.

Also, please tell me what my soil is lacking from the photo posted, so I can compare x-ray vision with routine agronomic sampling procedures and results. Thanks.

BYF is definitely opinionated, But unlike most of the people who state opinion as fact, he almost always provides links to university studies or some other form of empirical data/research. His most antagonistic comments are always directed at posts not supported by any scientific evidence.

As far as the X-ray vision, I think you're missing the point. A good grower should be able to look at a plant and make some solid educated guesses about nutrient levels and water retention properties of the soil it grows in.

Maybe I'm biased because I usually agree with his points. Especially the point that more growers need to focus on building a well balanced soil. If you can get past his "bull in a china shop social tact," theres clearly a wealth of information he actively shares.

My 2cents...

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
Bo,

Did you get a soil test to know what you're rolling with ? I may not know what you've got but I know that most first year soils aren't perfect.

I know that spending money on extra stuff like Albion calcium with boron while it only costs 25 bucks a LB , won't do you any good unless you've got the mineral support to replicate cells at the increased rate you're going to tell the plants to do so with upon application of additional B.

I also know you can burn your shit up really quick with it , too.

2,000 gallons is cool, but I am using about five times as much when I water , and when I used less , I still just used the soil to balance the pH

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
nice pics y'all! fun time of the year..or not. lots and lots of work, spent the better part of the last week pruning, going to sleep and seeing nodes and inner growth being snipped away in my mind. also laying on more PK top dresses and keeping a close eye on things.

picture.php

Skywalker OG x Fire Alien Orchard, 12 ft Tpost for reference
picture.php

picture.php

Loved this picture…the panoramic setting caught the dogs in mid fight, showing one ripping the others head off! dont worry the dogs are fine lol…

Gorilla Glue 4, not the tallest but god damn is she fat, after seeing fisher15s open sun glue i can't wait to see what these produce the flavor is great.
picture.php

12ft+ Asteroid
picture.php

Bulldog420

Veteran
Golden tarp awards? R Kelly throwing that contest?

Prop - Amazing garden again this year. Growing out the glue this year, if it produces a good finished product, then it will be in my garden for years to come. BTW, what is PK top dressing? You just mean phosphorous and potassium? WHat did you top dress with if you don't mind sharing?

epicorchard

Props to props! Solid work. However, admittedly I hate you a little. I was all settled into my lazy approach of not hollowing, but now that I see you and everyone else working hard, Im going to spend the next week pruning out the shaded centers. So hats off to your dedication, and thanks for ruining my week! lol

L

Luther Burbank

Woke up today to 92% RH. The PM has started showing itself on a couple girls, working its way up from the bottom. Neem doesn't seem to be stopping it. Debating picking up some Potassium Silicate or Potassium Sulfate to deal with the issue. Might try a milk/water spray as I've heard some suggestions for that. Anyone have any input? I do not want to lose my biggest girl because I let PM get away from me.

epicorchard

Woke up today to 92% RH. The PM has started showing itself on a couple girls, working its way up from the bottom. Neem doesn't seem to be stopping it. Debating picking up some Potassium Silicate or Potassium Sulfate to deal with the issue. Might try a milk/water spray as I've heard some suggestions for that. Anyone have any input? I do not want to lose my biggest girl because I let PM get away from me.

Sorry to hear that. I'd suggest increasing the neem concentration, 2-3 oz per gallon, and switching to einstein oil. IMO your only hope is to create better leaf saturation to suffocate the mildew, and then to somehow lower your humidity.

If you can back off the water a little bit that should help with the humidity as well. And if you've constructed any wind barriers close to that plant, manipulate them so that you have increased air flow.

I'm sure others in here are better suited to answer your question. I'm an old indoor guy, my first instinct is to turn on another dehumidifier, and something tells me that wouldn't work outdoors

SativaBreather

Veteran

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=287496&highlight=ATAK

theJointedOne

Veteran
i am of the understanding that PM takes and thrives in warm, dry, dark....but spreads easily when humidity/moisture spreads it around..

any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.