What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madjag

Veteran
FillthePotmore and ROOTWISE are in the house! Thanks for returning and making our day!

Last edited:

Bulldog420

Veteran
Rootwise - I think your flowering a little early....jk. Those are amazing plants. Thanks for sharing with everybody. Same to Fillmore

epicorchard

strain?

strain?

A little more inspiration for the home-stretch! Hope everyone has been doing well, nothing new here, just keeping my eye on the prize. Big Love to all the Big Plant Crew!

View Image

Whats strains are those beauts? looks like chem on the left and maybe dreams on the right? Looking good regardless!!

Bo Hasset

I took a lot of pics last week with the intention of uploading them that night, but life, busy, work and all that other stuff keep cropping up. No rest for the wicked. I know this doesn't fit some of the parameters of "HUGE" this thread has previously set, but I'm happy seeing as this was the garden where the soil and all of it's pots mysteriously grew legs and walked off sometime during Mid-March/Early April.

The soil is for all intents and purpose's a Tom Hill variation where I halved the amendments because of the time crunch basically, and then used a combo of about 15 yards of the Premium Plus w/added Lava rock from EWSF and any random pallets I could move from one spot to another and whatever I could find for a quality product that was super on sale.

I scored some Dr. Earth "Pot of Gold" at a price of about $6 and some change per bag on sale at Orchard and super discounted when I bought a pallet (they seemed to not have had many pallet requests as they were amazed someone would want that much soil... their pallets had 75 bags vs. the 56 that Kinney's and others advertise for Dr. Earth. The brand is so underrated... use their 5-5-5 pellets as a top dress during veg and use their dry Bud and Bloom mix twice during flower. Love them!

And also picked up some Roots 707 by the pallet for CHEAP, but don't like it much and consider it filler. Also was able to grab a pallet of Fox Farm's Coco Loco extra, extra cheap and was skeptical at first, but after label comparison I found that it's just Happy Frog with coco subbed for the peat... EXACT same thing, save that difference. I have come to love it and did a few 45 gallon pots using strictly the Loco in the light dep and turns out the plants love it, too!

Bubba from 7/23

Smallest D.O.G on 6/17

Smallest D.O.G's neighbor as of 7/2

The little runt grew up! "Smallest D.O.G" as of 7/23

Jillybean with some junk in the trunk... this from 7/23. As of today she's about to reach the top bamboo pole... must have heard me talking about being a shorty with a ghetto booty and got a hold of some Slim-Fast.

Bo Hasset

Runty D.O.G's neighbor as of 7/23... they're neck and neck now.

A friend/patient brought me 6 of these to grow for her... she picked them up in Sonoma and they came labeled as Super Sour Diesel from the King Klone Brand nursery in the bay... when I checked their site initially it listed the SSD as being SD x OG... I thought for sure it would be a SSH cross and now when I check that site they no longer have SSD listed... I put 2 straight into dep after they were quarantined and those turned out well... can only hope the same for the remaining 4, but after a period of sluggish growth all of June they have literally quadrupled in size. From 7/23.

It's been a busy week of water, water, foliar feed, water, fert em and a shit ton more water. Lots of pumping up for the real stretch yet to come, though judging from the difference in these shots from a week ago and now I'd say these ladies are just about right in the the thick of it for the most part... the one picture of that Bubba doesn't do it justice... the two I have out right now are the biggest in the garden at just under 11 ft tall by 6-7 feet wide.

Is anyone familiar with Bio-Link? I ran out of Ca-25 and asked my helper to snag some, but he instead showed up with Bio-Link's Cal-Plus 7%, though it's rated 0-6-0 and derived from rock phosphate... I assume that means the calcium within would be of the calcium phosphate variety. I get all the various forms of calcium confused and wonder if I'm right about it being cal phos, first off. And secondly, is this able to make an impact if used to foliar (which is/was my intent)? The brand carries a calcium only fertilizer, but it's banned in CA for some reason. I tested out the 0-6-0 with Ca on a "spare" and no ill effects were noticed... I figured that going into stretch/flower that the added phos couldn't hurt, but what do I know and don't want to waste time spraying a product that essentially does nothing... I also have a bag of Xtreme's CalCarb foliar that was given to me at a vendor day earlier this year, but never used after reading reviews on here stating it was useless.

OBLCalPlus7pctLOGO.jpg

What's the skinny?

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
Whats the best green plastic trellis netting I can get at a great price?
What site do you guys go to to shop?
Ide rather not pay shipping and get it from a nearby store, but Im having issues finding some green colored trellis that is plastic... NOT polyester like the ones they have. Unless polyester is fine?

Madjag

Veteran
I have inspired soil expert and author of The Ideal Soil, Michael Astera, to join in on the discussions on ICMag. He has been a member for 4 years, however his book and soil analysis business has taken off and kept him away.....for awhile.

He is a firm believer in soil tests followed by a thorough balancing of the soil with proper amendments, not just blindly adding large amounts of what you "think" it needs. Too much of certain supplements can limit the uptake of certain others.

Here's the first thread he landed in. I think all tree growers can benefit from his in-depth answers to soil quality, BRIX, amendment adjustments, trace minerals, and other pertinent questions.

The thread was started by DreamBig:

Chelates for trace minerals?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=286374

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
Stretch over soon?!?!

Stretch over soon?!?!

I sure hope stretch is winding down... Tallest plants would be 12' tall if I did not cage and bend the tops weeks ago. There are three GG4 that are approaching 10' tall!
June 21
picture.php

July 30
picture.php

Super Lemon Haze that would be 12' easy!
picture.php

Mostly Glue, with a couple Tahoe, and WFA
picture.php

Glue
picture.php

epicorchard

I sure hope stretch is winding down... Tallest plants would be 12' tall if I did not cage and bend the tops weeks ago. There are three GG4 that are approaching 10' tall!
June 21

I like the hydroton. is that an outdoor flood table set up?

It does look like your plants are stretching for light. Does you're garden receive a lot of shade? If so, Any way you can trim those trees back a little?

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
June 21

I like the hydroton. is that an outdoor flood table set up?

It does look like your plants are stretching for light. Does you're garden receive a lot of shade? If so, Any way you can trim those trees back a little?
The hydroton is leftover from the ID rooms that I am trying to get away from. Will end up with a chow mix for ID, and the rocks are there to reduce evaporation.
I am hesitant hacking too much off these plants until after stretch. I am hoping to thin out the middle and pull the branches back. About 75% of the plot gets full sun, just the corners are shaded. After harvest, I will be trimming the neighbors trees, and setting up a light dep.
It was an OD flood and drain, but I just used it for a drain to waste veg table for the two OD plots. I may wall in that area, and make it a full time nursery this winter.
Edit: I took those pictures early, and it may appear shadier than it really is.

grow nerd

Veteran
I tried looking everywhere for a pump suitable for foliar spraying with the NorthStar adjustable flash spray gun that's either powered by 120v AC or better value / cheaper, and failed. Standard pressure booster pumps of similar ratings aren't any cheaper, and may not be as featureful as the NorthStar NSQ 2.2gpm/70psi model @ $70.

I even tried using a Harbor Freight inline pump rated @ ~52psi. It was "okay", but left a little to be desired. Not to mention that it's not really much cheaper, draws much more power, isn't on-demand, heavier, etc.

For those of you without an ATV to spray from and also looking for an AC powered solution: I got a 12v DC 10A power supply typically used for LED screens and such. The NorthStar NSQ 2271T is rated 8A.

ManyManySpliffs

This thread is just one of many why I luv ICMag so. Where else can you go and find such in-depth information from some of the tops in the biz. Reminds me of OverGrow in its prime.. R.I.P OG

Meds215

What's everyone's favorite top dressing with now and how much are you using of it?
using mr b's green trees i was up to a cup and a half per 200 gallon once a week with good results probably should of stepped up to 2 cups, but im transitioning so i did this last feed with 1 cup veg and 1 cup bloom.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
OverGrow- your plants shouldnt be stretching yet, or should have just started, it looks like your plants arent getting enough direct sunlight to me.

1/2 the plants have just begun stretch 7 days ago and the others should start this week.
They get ALOT of sun. No worries.
Do you think that because of how small, weak, and spindly they are?
Plants should be done by Oct 10th LATEST.

Mcgruff

My favorite top dressing for July stretch is Peruvian Seabird Guano 12-12-2.5. Its pelletized so it breaks down slow, lasts about a month. That along with Worm Castings and Oyster Shell Flour is what I used last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts