What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
these worked well... each tent is about 30$.

2009_1012-Garden-010.jpg
I dont understand how the plants would be healthy under a blue shade like that. Are they using those as umbrellas? Just temporary covers during rain?

The latter, DP. nomaad was responding to my post that came right before his regarding what people use to protect from rain.. Thanks for the pics on that, nomaad. Are those something you buy locally or could they be found anywhere in the country, any idea?

BB

nomaad

Veteran
I dont understand how the plants would be healthy under a blue shade like that. Are they using those as umbrellas? Just temporary covers during rain?

yes. we were expecting heavy rain and wind with 40mph sustained and 60mph gusts. they came off the next day. but they did the trick. i got them at walmart.

nomaad

Veteran

Imagine if the plant grew right thru the 24ft dome... that would be pretty intense... the only hope of making it work would be to do a 18 foot wide smart pot... the plant will only get so much wider than its root system. The soil volume would be 381 cubic feet... or roughly 2800 gallons. It seems to be a ridiculous amount of dirt and at first seems like you couldn't possibly yield the same as you would in 14 200 gallon containers... BUT... if you calculate the surface area of the dome and pull a chia-pet style garden that is like a screen of green, but covering the entire surface of the dome... that would be around 900 sq meters... in a sea of green, blue dream yields about a pound per square meter. The 900 pound Dome of Green.

it would be a sight and an accomplishment...

nomaad

Veteran
i just took cuts off my blue dream and your blue dream N. im gonna run at least one of each outside and side by side indoor .......i will start documenting all my projects in a thread with pictures soon.

i look forward to it.

baet

horsemouth-appreciate it man. also just ordered 16 6"x1"x1" ceramic magnets to make squares around the stocks of 4 of my plants(i've got 6 big beds in that area), buried maybe half a foot down, act as a magnetic shield.

with the application of nematodes every month or so plus the magnets, i think my plants will make it, haha, fuck these termites!

baet

our big beds are vermicompost strictly.

but we're planning on doing some 100gal smartpots, and i've only ever used FFOF, but how do you guys like promix for outdoors?

i thought bales would be easier to get to location, and its cheaper. and it sounds like an awesome mix. would you recommend adding additional perlite to the promix?

P

planty

our big beds are vermicompost strictly.

but we're planning on doing some 100gal smartpots, and i've only ever used FFOF, but how do you guys like promix for outdoors?

i thought bales would be easier to get to location, and its cheaper. and it sounds like an awesome mix. would you recommend adding additional perlite to the promix?

I love pro mix so much I bought 15 pallets of it for my grow!

baet

purpur-ha, relax, termites are everywhere!

planty-awesome, that's what i wanted to hear.
do you use the promix bx, and do you add more perlite?

MedResearcher

Veteran
Hey Tom,

When your soil is "cooking," do you add more water as it dries out?

My soil is still very warm in the inside but the top few inches is getting very dry. I added more water to 1/4 of them, but after reading your last post about transplanting dry it made me second guess my reaction to the soil drying up.

nomaad

Veteran
I am adding 8 cu perlite to each 200 gallon container... and that's quite a bit LESS than my mentor (who pulls down 9-12lbs consistent with Bloue Dream) who recommends 3x 4cf bags of perlite per 200 gallon pot. Not sure what pro-mix has for perlite content out of the bale.

Last year my soil mix was way too heavy... I watched by friends' plants explode in a much lighter mix whilke mine sort of just sat there and did nothing for a while in the heavier stuff. I'm not saying that the heavy mix was the only factor... just trying to provide a clear picture of my experience.

localhero

whats up nomaad,

what do you mean by heavy? im using pumice 25% and 5% charcoal this year instead of 30% perlite (less float) . still though with everything else in there its heavy as hell man. really the heaviest mix ive used. seems like it compacts down more than the lc mix i used in the past too. Maybe because the pumice is alot heavier than perlite it weighs down and compacts the mix?

nomaad

Veteran
By heavy I mean exactly what you describe. Adding perlite will give you better drainage and from what I have seen it seems like the root system develops faster in a lighter soil. If watering is an issue for you, maybe a heavier, slower draining soil is preferable.

C

CityOfTrees530

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

Game On.....Just waiting till May. think i might plant on my birthday May 13th.
hoping for avg 2-3lbs per lady

One thing I've noticed none of you seem to bend your plants you rather just let them grow up and put a cage around them branching them off that way. Is there a reason you guys don't bend them down(tie them down)? It's what I did last year and it worked alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.