What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoooth

Well for anyone interested, I will be running some vermifire this year based on a recommendation from a buddy that uses it on both his indoor and outdoor and does quite well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367468587.476854.jpg

We will see what happens and I'll be sure to let you all know.

Z

Z-ro

I have seen a few gardens with 2 and 3 lbers in the dep, not as ideal as a sog but still killing it.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
I just don't get why people would spend sooo much on bagged soil. Smooth - that has to be over 500$ in bagged soil right? Plus you amend to the soil as well right? I am so happy this year I just bought yardage of soil from the Chico Earth Worm Farm. Way cheaper and the best soil I have ever witnessed in my life. When you run your hands through the soil you get black stained hands from all the humus in the soil from the castings. I don't doubt for a second that bagged soil can do the trick as well, just seems like the hard way.

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
OrganicBuds. Sometimes bagged soil is the best option. I had to transplant all my light dep plants down in the greenhouse, and by the bag made it ridiculously easy. I bought four pallets of Vermifire and paid something like $185 a yard. This soil needs nothing. It is very complete and in fact, I am more impressed with overall health and vigor than what I've experienced in many bulk mixes.

Also, I'm shooting for 1-2# out of the 50's in the deps. Those will have gotten 8-10 weeks veg in the greenhouse before flip.

smoooth

Organic buds I feel ya man. I would have loved to get some of that soil from the worm guys that everyone raves about but unfortunately was not an option for us this year at the location we are using.

I do plan on amending the vermifire with neem meal and a little alfalfa and kelp meal. Space will be left in the top of the pots for top dressing with EWC/compost and whatever else I mix in with it. All pots will be treated with an ACT prior to planting and then they will get ACT once a week to once every other week. Not really sure how often I should apply them. Also trying to decide what to use as a mulch. Want something that is easy to pull back for the top dressing.

M

MrSterling

Vermifire? Are they specifically branding this for pot growers with the "fire" slang?

Tom Hill

Veteran
picture.php

Still kindof a mess here and scrambling/doing the old mendo shuffle tryna keep up with it. Pictured is Maad's dream, berry white, arcata trainwreck, bombthreat bubba, and a hawaiian job I am having a look at.

picture.php

Spreading out into other greenhouses as we are quickly running out of room, these are maad's dream going into 30's for another months veg, looking for a pound each from the blackout, of course they will be spread out once more into several greenhouses before the light dep begins.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
OrganicBuds. Sometimes bagged soil is the best option. I had to transplant all my light dep plants down in the greenhouse, and by the bag made it ridiculously easy. I bought four pallets of Vermifire and paid something like $185 a yard. This soil needs nothing. It is very complete and in fact, I am more impressed with overall health and vigor than what I've experienced in many bulk mixes.

Also, I'm shooting for 1-2# out of the 50's in the deps. Those will have gotten 8-10 weeks veg in the greenhouse before flip.

I bet you hit your mark in the deps, good luck. As for the bagged soil, 185 a yard? That is a fantastic price, I payed 200 a yard for the earth worm farm soil. I think it's worth every penny, but I would have thought the bagged soil would have cost you more.

Organic buds I feel ya man. I would have loved to get some of that soil from the worm guys that everyone raves about but unfortunately was not an option for us this year at the location we are using.

I do plan on amending the vermifire with neem meal and a little alfalfa and kelp meal. Space will be left in the top of the pots for top dressing with EWC/compost and whatever else I mix in with it. All pots will be treated with an ACT prior to planting and then they will get ACT once a week to once every other week. Not really sure how often I should apply them. Also trying to decide what to use as a mulch. Want something that is easy to pull back for the top dressing.

With that soil, and your amendments(top quality), I think you shouldn't have to apply tea more than once a month during the season. If you decide to apply tea more often than that "I" would recommend keeping your N levels high. The micro-heard when in full force can consume a lot of nitrogen. Absolutely no need to apply tea more often than once a week. I personally try to apply teas about every two weeks depending on my personal schedule. I also try to apply teas within 2-3 days after any transplant.

I wish I could have fit more material in the trailer I used to haul my EWFS (earth worm farm soil). They also have a mulch that is just left over material they screen out of their pure ewc. That is what I would have loved to use, however I will go with what I have used in the past. I like gorilla hair redwood bark, or small size redwood bark. Many others use hay, which I imagine is cheap if you can find it. Another great option is creating a leaf mulch. Taking your trimmings and stems from your cannabis plants you can chops them up and just place them on top of your root zone. This is how mother nature does it, and it breaks down this mulch and turns it into humus, which feeds the micro-heard. However you go, I would make sure I left around 4" in my pots for mulch. Also, when top dressing I have taken the time to pull back the mulch. I have also just applied the top dressing on top of the mulch and watered in. Both ways have yielded similar results, that is just my experience.

Dam, I am long winded today. Good luck this season.

smoooth

Wow thanks for all that awesome info organicbuds!! So I will take it easy on the ACT's and will be looking into that redwood mulch as it sounds more neat and tidy than using hay and I'm a little OCD about things....

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran

We're paying $97 per yard but then we are getting 200 yards in 2 trucks..........

View Image

Still kindof a mess here and scrambling/doing the old mendo shuffle tryna keep up with it. Pictured is Maad's dream, berry white, arcata trainwreck, bombthreat bubba, and a hawaiian job I am having a look at.

View Image

Spreading out into other greenhouses as we are quickly running out of room, these are maad's dream going into 30's for another months veg, looking for a pound each from the blackout, of course they will be spread out once more into several greenhouses before the light dep begins.

Hey Tom nice setup..thanks for being so detailed when detailed when describin your grows..it helps new kats like me on the outdoors answer ALOT of questions..on that note, im starting veg on the 5th and 1st week of june tansplanting to 30 gal smarties hoping to achieve the same goal..is this possible considering that I have everyrhing dialed in down here in the peninsula state on the east coast??thanks ahead....GG.

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran
We're paying $97 per yard but then we are getting 200 yards in 2 trucks..........

A word to the "wanna-be-wise..."Typical commercial US dump trucks are double-axle dually setups carrying about 10 cubic yards of material, which is about 10 short tons for typical materials like gravel or soil..."

Our industry is experiencing a "bulk delivery" boon for soil contractors, landscaping centers, not to mention all the new "215" soil makers that have popped up over the last few years, here in the north country. If you dont know much about bulk soil, landscape material delivery, you can get hosed. By in large, it can be a ruthless and cut throat business. A few things to know:

First, at best, the typical dump truck can only haul on an average of 10 yards. If equipped with a 3rd "drop down" axel, maybe up to 15 yds. Maybe. The tandem or double trailer holds a little less in that it is smaller than the dump truck itself because it has to slide into the dump truck for dumping purposes. So at best, youre only gonna see maybe 30 yards a delivery.

The soil game has been around a long time. And the soil boys can be quite sneaky. Keep in mind, the average homeowner cant tell 2 delivered yards of soil vs 3. Make sure youre getting what you pay for. As I said, the average dump truck can carry around 10 yards. Before the driver dumps the load, climb up and see if its a full load. it's easy to be shorted 1/2 yard here, 1/4 yard there. In our game, every shovel full counts...

And soil companies, sand & gravel outfits and even landscape centers are notorious for not only "shorting" the load but also for "wetting", if they are selling by weight (by the ton). Sand is commonly kept wetted down because a yd of wet sand, and soil for that matter, can weigh twice as much than dry or "moist". They will claim that they are required to keep the the sand or soil wet because of air quality guidelines, primarily dust control at their yard, and that is true to a certain extent but the money is still in the weight of the material.

And then there are trucking/delivery charges. They vary from place to place, but the fees average a minimum $100 per delivery, some times way more, or a mileage charge, depending on the distance from the yard. Ive seen some plants even charge a separate diesel fee. Shop around, some outfits will discount truck fees if you buy a lot. But the drivers have to be paid and the trucks dont run for free so generally these 2 costs usually get 'blended" into the cost of the material being delivered, whether by the yard or by the ton. Its very common to be quoted x amount a yard but by the time you add delivery or truck charges or both, the soil/material can easily exceed xx per yard... CC

clemdidem

"Our industry is experiencing a "bulk delivery" boon for soil contractors, landscaping centers, not to mention all the new "215" soil makers that have popped up over the last few years, here in the north country.

The soil game has been around a long time. And the soil boys can be quite sneaky. Keep in mind, the average homeowner cant tell 2 delivered yards of soil vs 3.

a year back I bought 3 yards delivered in the Sacto area and when it came in a PU it was less than half full. A Long Bed PU truck is approx 2.75 yards level..I called BS and after calling the owner he the song and dance he gave was that it started out as 3 yards but in the 60 miles to delivery it compacted. When one orders XX amount of dirt is is measured at the loading point or at the delivery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts