What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

planty

FWIW - A shop can have its accounts pulled INSTANTLY for association with pot growers, even though we're 100% of the hydroponic industries customer base...I would HATE to see something happen to what she's worked so hard to build since leaving SCG up the road...

MedResearcher

Veteran
Ya good looking out, I feel like an aszhole now. I didn't even think about that. Normally I don't post all that much mostly read, just felt like a chance to help him find some dirt, and promote some business for them. I edited the entire post out.

SCG was never the same after, still isnt imo. You ever go to TH for the short time it was open?

nomaad

Veteran
but I'm sure every cut named pineapple is going to smell like pineapple..

not true at all. the pineapple genetics often bring structural traits, finishing time and vigor rather than a distinct pineapple taste. For example, my pineapple Cough is a Cough pheno rather that a PA pheno. Its not supposed to taste like fruit salad.

P

planty

Ya good looking out, I feel like an aszhole now. I didn't even think about that. Normally I don't post all that much mostly read, just felt like a chance to help him find some dirt, and promote some business for them. I edited the entire post out.

SCG was never the same after, still isnt imo. You ever go to TH for the short time it was open?

The lady that does GWGS used to rent out from SCG, she failed on all her promises and now relocated up the road from SCG to a small metal building with nothing really in it. SCG isn't the same and won't ever be. We're lucky dude is still even with us!!

I never went to TH, I found out who opened the shop and steered VERY clear.

nomaad

Veteran
So... what is the word on EWC in the mendolake sphere? Haven't called the ones mentioned in this thread, but they are in Butte Cty, yeah? Not so much time right now to rescan the thread for the details. Sorry.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Ya I went in TH one time, was the most unprofessional shop I have ever been in. Never met anyone who owns a hydro store be so open and mouthy to complete strangers. I regular HH for the last 5 years or so, know the manager pretty well and in 5 years we have never had our conversation stray away from equipment and nutrients, don't expect we ever will.

i am wondering if one of you tree growers can answer a quick question for me. tom uses stutzman farms chicken manure, but he doesn't specify which one. there are two, Sup'r Green (3-2-2) and Nutri-Rich (4-3-3). i asked tom awhile ago also, but he hasn't responded. i'm sure he is just busy preparing for the season. at any rate, does anybody know which one tom is using?

Tom and everyone thanks for all the awesome advice/tips/pictures/recipes, I've learned a ton from this thread. I do have one question for Tom directly or anyone with experience with chicken manure such as the sup r green Tom uses. I'm going to be doing 100 gallon filled with pro-mix and nutes. I'd like to give Tom's recipe a shot but I've never used chicken manure before(I've generally used old Vic High's super soil recipe from years ago which used Blood meal for nitrogen).. In my part of the country you can't get stutzmans to follow the exact ratio however we can get 40 lb bags of Chickity Doo Doo. Which is a 5-3-2.5 ratio. Slightly higher in N.

My question is are these 1. cf. bags Tom is using the same as the bags that say 25 lbs? Since Tom is using 4 of those I'm assuming that's 100 lbs of chicken manure per 300 gallon pot. Dividing that by 3 to get 33 lbs per hole if he was using 100 gallons which is what I'll be using.. And since this chickity-doo I'm looking at is 5% instead of 3% on the N side I would be dropping down to the 20-25 lb per 100 gallon hole in my case.

Does that amount sound reasonable to everyone for 100 gallon holes? I just want to make sure my math isn't hugely off since i'll be doing quite a few of these holes and would be in tears if I were to toss my 2-3 foot plants into those holes only to watch them get fried from too much. Everything else seems pretty easily calculated..

Thanks again for everyone's input, this thread is incredible and inspiring!

botanicalbill - the 1 cuft bags of chicken manure tom is using weigh 25lbs each. i don't have enough expericence with dry ferts to comfortably recommend amounts for whats available to you. i do think your line of thinking is correct. however with many holes at stake, wait for advice from one of the masters.

i have a little weight question of my own now. tom's recipe calls for approx 1/2 cuft of gypsum (about half bag). i looked into this and 1 cuft of ag gypsum is 60-65 lbs. most bags sold are in the 40-50 lb range. so is the recipe closer to 30-32 lbs or 20-25 lbs?

i would also like to thank everyone for their inputs, this is an amazingly informative and inspiring thread.

I had a bag sitting out front I just checked and mine was 40 lbs as well. Gypsum is pretty hard to overuse from what I understand.. Around here I guess it's used as more of a soil conditioner than a fertilizer. In fact Tom's recipe is the first time I've ever even seen someone use it as a fertilizer. While the extra 5-7 lbs of gypsum probably is insignificant when putting it into 300 gallons of media I'd be interested and knowing the answer as well..

Also thanks for your answer in the 1CF/25 lbs question, CD.

BB

P

planty

Ya'll need to remember that it's just ONE way to do things...there's much more to use other than gypsum, chicken, and bone...but those three work well together and are easy to get anywhere...

planty you make an excellent point. i have grown successfully with many different feritlizers, just not much experience mixing them directly into the soil. because you can't easily get rid of excess organic nutes, i want to make sure i am mixing the recommended levels. i started off as a chem grower, and still seem to cling to the idea that everything must be exact. i'm working on it though.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hi Folks,

Correct, the 1cf bags of 3-2-2 are 25# ea and these are what I use.

Bill, your math sounds good to me on the chicken and I'd be comfortable with what you're doing.

Canna, I buy the 40 lb bags of gypsum (1/2 bag 20#, per 300 gallons of soil). Sorry for my confusion (I thought they were 1cf ea).

Well, I've got most everything turned and watered and resting for a week now. There is one garden that I can't get done until it dries-up some and tractor guy stops whining about the mud. In this garden I will not be able to let rest for 3 weeks prior to planting. The plan is then to turn 1/2 of the recommended dose in and plug plants into it the very next day. Then feed some through veg. Que Sera, Sera..

Hey guys the lights are installed into a few of the gardens, I'll take a pic and post it later, looks like a friggen Christmas tree lot, minus the trees- hehe, I love it.-T

P

planty

Good to read ya tom. Nspecta is coming over for a tour in May...hopefully you can make it too..

tom - not a problem, just appreciate you giving us all good starting point. you might want to edit your first post with the recipe, for those who don't read the whole thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts