What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ganja D

Things are. And I choose to be content. :)

I am hoping for that dry Autumn you presage. lots of people saying the same thing... wishful thinking? who knows.

We lost a big plant the other day. The entire plant just shut down. One day it was perfect and the next it was dead. Different from the other problems we've had where a plant kind of slowly shrivels and yellows, but continues to live and develop. With about five weeks to go, if we were to lose a single plant like that per week we'd still be within the realm of acceptable losses. It would suck hard, but... that's farming.

If losses stay where they are we'll be right where we have been in past harvests...

I ain't gonna lie,I've lost a few plants here as well. A combination of fusarium,and stem/stalk rot. I remember Tom warning about rot this year after the long wet spring. Next year I'll be more careful to not plant anything to deep.
Like you I'm still in the acceptable losses category. It still sucks though. I've never had a plant die in my entire life unless I wanted it to until now. Thankfully the few I've lost were not that big or important.
Still a kick ass year! Timber time approaches for the Mr.Nice.
picture.php

picture.php

Happy growing guys.:tiphat:

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
FUCK found some cats on one of my OG kushes....4 total which tells me some fucker laid some eggs and theres more out there...

do you spray the whole plant down or do you just do visual checks on every plant and target spray the cats...

im gonna go hit the hydro store and look for that safer cat killer or dipel...hoping its not too late to spray anything?

Slangheat

FUCK found some cats on one of my OG kushes....4 total which tells me some fucker laid some eggs and theres more out there...

do you spray the whole plant down or do you just do visual checks on every plant and target spray the cats...

im gonna go hit the hydro store and look for that safer cat killer or dipel...hoping its not too late to spray anything?

I've gone into manual removal mode from here on out... stopped spraying for cats about a week or two ago on most strains.. with these cooler nights kicking in I'm afraid of things staying too wet for too long after spraying, as well as additional weight on branches from the water. That's just me erring on the side of caution though.

nomaad

Veteran
I ain't gonna lie,I've lost a few plants here as well. A combination of fusarium,and stem/stalk rot. I remember Tom warning about rot this year after the long wet spring. Next year I'll be more careful to not plant anything to deep.
Like you I'm still in the acceptable losses category. It still sucks though. I've never had a plant die in my entire life unless I wanted it to until now. Thankfully the few I've lost were not that big or important.
Still a kick ass year! Timber time approaches for the Mr.Nice.

Happy growing guys.:tiphat:

I always give the Mr Nice her props for being an early girl and finishing in fine style so early... I am tempted every year to run her the next... but I value these next few weeks between black box trim and full season harvest for its relative peace. I get to hang out with my kids and take a few little trips here and there... If I ran the MN it would just fuck all of that up.

m4n

Spat the whole plants down...luckily they are only on one of my plants...go through all the top buds then work your aY down...they are pretty easy to find with the brown shit trails they leave...Fuckin shit up though!!!

nomaad

Veteran
So... just got word that a friend of mine who has been coming in to trim for a scene she's been coming to for years.

here is an excerpt of the email she just received.

" it pains me to write this. My partner has suffered an absolute disaster. Practically his entire season has been a failure. So with a heavy heart I must tell you, there will be NO work this year.... Nature has kicked the shit out of the cattle ranchers in Texas and us out here in California. There are no excuses, but the unpredictability of the weather has hit home, and with potentially life changing consequences."

We are expecting a 5-day period of days in the 70's and nights in the 40's. I've already lost a plant and have two more that look shitty. I am using Hygrozyme and Mycostop and being extremely careful not to over-water. I have also hit them with Potassium Silicate a couple of times in the last few weeks.

Anybody else having trouble sleeping?

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
So... just got word that a friend of mine who has been coming in to trim for a scene she's been coming to for years.

" it pains me to write this. My partner has suffered an absolute disaster. Practically his entire season has been a failure. So with a heavy heart I must tell you, there will be NO work this year.... Nature has kicked the shit out of the cattle ranchers in Texas and us out here in California. There are no excuses, but the unpredictability of the weather has hit home, and with potentially life changing consequences."

We are expecting a 5-day period of days in the 70's and nights in the 40's. I've already lost a plant and have two more that look shitty. I am using Hygrozyme and Mycostop and being extremely careful not to over-water. I have also hit them with Potassium Silicate a couple of times in the last few weeks.

wow you just made me realize something....when i did aerials the other week i noticed alot of gardens had bald spots in there, like they lost a few plants....average numbers looked like around 3 or 4 bald spots per 40 plants...most of them looked like "in the ground" plots not smarties..

i noticed pretty shitty weather around santa rosa for a few days too...even some rain...everyone i know has been complaining about insects this year too..

forecast for possible thunderstorms in butte county tommorow!

Last edited:

Deep Breathe Nomaad. highs in the 70s and lows in the 40s is the ENTIRE MONTH of September for those who grow outdoor in Colorado... Every year... i find it brings some pretty colors out!

Other than not over watering, is there any other specific question you may have about a cooler fall that you are used to, as is the norm here!?

Would love to help abate concerns where i can... It WILL be okay... NO FOLIAR FEEDING DURING THESE TIME...

Anything else?

Manitoid

EDIT: My forecast is wicked tonight too... I never trun my fans off to store heat because it raises humidity too high in the greenhouse... the green house is for protection from 75 mph winds and golf ball hale. so inside temp is outside temp, and the overnight low for me is
THIRTY-SEVEN (37)

should be fun! stay strong!

nomaad

Veteran
I am specifically worried about the root rot that killed a plant overnight with only the slightest signs of having slowed behind the flowering of other like plants in the immediate area... one day it seemed to be thriving... enough so not to draw the eye... drinking water normally... the next day it was completely dead. We are taking down the corpse today and I will have a look at the roots to be sure of the cause of death. If we lose one a week will the end of the season, it won;t wipe us out, but it will hurt. We do a small garden of big plants over here and the margins for failure are small. So mainly, I am anxious about colder conditions, sodden pots and conditions that might encourage the main enemy, soil borne pathogens.

There are also couple of plants that have been increasingly unhealthy have parts that are healhty and parts that are not but nothing is outright dead yet... The parts that are unhealthy looking (50+%) have smaller buds that seem to be more ripe than the bigger buds on the healthy looking branches... Its a race to see if the rest of that strain will succumb before they finish in 2.5-3.5 weeks.

Again, I'm only talking about a handful of plants at the moment but next year, the county will limit me to 18 plants. I'm not doing much more than that right now, but this year's losses would be compounded harshly in an 18 plant paradigm... the idea would have to be bigger plants in bigger pots with bigger chance of disaster. More eggs in each basket.

In no way am I trying to diminish growing in CO, but it seems like the plants in Cali are bigger... we have a longer, softer season and the plants get big and lazy . They take a lot more life support than smaller heartier plants I see more the norm outside in CO. Please correct me if I am just missing out on the 15x15' plants in CO. The biggest plants I have seen are in greenhouses. Again, this is just what i am seeing and I am not out there looking at CO plants all day.

In a perfect world I'd be growing 10x the plants i am now in much smaller pots, planted much later in the season. .

I am specifically worried about the root rot that killed a plant overnight with only the slightest signs of having slowed behind the flowering of other like plants in the immediate area... one day it seemed to be thriving... enough so not to draw the eye... drinking water normally... the next day it was completely dead. We are taking down the corpse today and I will have a look at the roots to be sure of the cause of death. If we lose one a week will the end of the season, it won;t wipe us out, but it will hurt. We do a small garden of big plants over here and the margins for failure are small. So mainly, I am anxious about colder conditions, sodden pots and conditions that might encourage the main enemy, soil borne pathogens.

There are also couple of plants that have been increasingly unhealthy have parts that are healhty and parts that are not but nothing is outright dead yet... The parts that are unhealthy looking (50+%) have smaller buds that seem to be more ripe than the bigger buds on the healthy looking branches... Its a race to see if the rest of that strain will succumb before they finish in 2.5-3.5 weeks.

Again, I'm only talking about a handful of plants at the moment but next year, the county will limit me to 18 plants. I'm not doing much more than that right now, but this year's losses would be compounded harshly in an 18 plant paradigm... the idea would have to be bigger plants in bigger pots with bigger chance of disaster. More eggs in each basket.

In no way am I trying to diminish growing in CO, but it seems like the plants in Cali are bigger... we have a longer, softer season and the plants get big and lazy . They take a lot more life support than smaller heartier plants I see more the norm outside in CO. Please correct me if I am just missing out on the 15x15' plants in CO. The biggest plants I have seen are in greenhouses. Again, this is just what i am seeing and I am not out there looking at CO plants all day.

In a perfect world I'd be growing 10x the plants i am now in much smaller pots, planted much later in the season. .

I would also love 10X smaller plants...

I actually choose to avoid the 15X15' plants intentionally! its hard to see into the inside of those beasts, let alone prune out dead leaves...

I have a few over 10 ft wide... but you are right in a greenhouse... I do not use it for temps but rather for hale mitigation, fans run all night.

The season here is may - october same as you... hoop houses for early seeds in april same as you...

My GH can only facilitate 12 ft ceilings, so im appologizing for myself as only acheiving 15ft wide by about 11 ft tall...

I do not think largest plant is the only considertion... things got out of hand over here... id take easy 5lb plants over pain in the ass 8 lb plants ALL DAY!

you nomaad, along with many cali growers, are my inspiration... I had also worked as immigrant farm labor for many years in fall in cali before settling down and family-ing up

I hate to see the west coast guru's having a shitty hard time this year... every years different...

When you are outside, it more leans to farming rather than growing...

Farming can be tough

Manitoid

Madhemp

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

Great White Shark (both pics)

Nomaad/ManitiodsGhost: Timely discussion Thanks! I'm usually jealous of that emerald triangle's climate. Not so much this year.
I've had a rough season myself, (I'll spare you all the details). But am planning on killing it next season. On a brighter note my trimming should only take a week or so and maybe I'll still have some sanity at the end of that normally mind deadening ordeal.

Think positive, and lets bring it on home!!!!

MH

P

Peppermint

I can understand the sodden pots things and adjusting watering to compensate for cooler temps but do any of you guys adjust the ORP of your nute solutions or when plain watering? I used to hang at the cabana some years back and Tom Hill was into that. He was using H2O2. After watering medium O2 levels drop slowing growth a bit and also creating a more favorable enviro for pathogen growth. As the medium dries O2 levels rise. Even if you're using a very loose medium at the start of the season with great drainage by the time you're in flowering the medium, especially in pots, is so filled with roots drainage slows. Seems ORP solution regulation is much more critical/beneficial in soil growing than in hydro.

Y

YosemiteSam

I can understand the sodden pots things and adjusting watering to compensate for cooler temps but do any of you guys adjust the ORP of your nute solutions or when plain watering? I used to hang at the cabana some years back and Tom Hill was into that. He was using H2O2. After watering medium O2 levels drop slowing growth a bit and also creating a more favorable enviro for pathogen growth. As the medium dries O2 levels rise. Even if you're using a very loose medium at the start of the season with great drainage by the time you're in flowering the medium, especially in pots, is so filled with roots drainage slows. Seems ORP solution regulation is much more critical/beneficial in soil growing than in hydro.

Do you remember what he bumped the ORP to? It seems like a good idea but it scares the shit out of most me.

nomaad

Veteran
I am going to order an ORP meter.

Makes sense that anaerobic root fungi would dislike a higher ORP. I wonder how Oxidate would work for this... I am going to hit my unhappiest plants with a bit. I have a jug left over from last year when I used it to try and handle some PM on a Bubba S1 I regretted growing from the outset.

organic P

i realize the the goal is to deal with the soil borne pathogen, but does anyone know how hydrogen peroxide affects beneficials?

Status
Not open for further replies.