What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bushweed

Veteran
There's a very good thread entitled Butte's Bounty in the cannabis growing outdoors section that describes just such a topping regime to achieve topiary giants -
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=213827&page=6
I don't mind them tall and pine-like, but they are vulnerable to strong winds...
picture.php

Kangativa

Veteran
There's a very good thread entitled Butte's Bounty in the cannabis growing outdoors section that describes just such a topping regime to achieve topiary giants -
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=213827&page=6
I don't mind them tall and pine-like, but they are vulnerable to strong winds...
picture.php

Thanx Bushy for that.....definetly saved me a bit of reading time:dance013:

I am going to try some smart pots as well, just had 10 ton of organic potting mix delivered which I had made to my specifications, just have to add my own compost and we should be in business.
Now to just sit back and watch all these excellent growers plants flower:jump:
Keep it up guys coz you are teaching a old dog new tricks:gday:

T

Trinity Gold

My plan to dry my large out door plants...v2

My plan to dry my large out door plants...v2

So I have been thinking a lot about what I'm going to do to dry my crop this year because I out grew my drying space by a lot...Tom really came through for me! Thanks bro!

The plan is going to be to do hoop houses to dry in. Cover with a blue tarp and leave the ends open. I'm going to do them 10' across and 24' long with a T post every 12' and use 14g galvy wire ran along the tposts to hang my colas. I'll probably do 2 rows.

When the weather gets so bad I can't just dry out in the open I'm going to cover with my dep tarps and run intake / exhaust , floor fans , and bring out my Dri Eaz dehums and generators...

I'm hoping to get the harvest of colas dry in a week and then put in to bins to be cleaned by hand, I am planning on bringing out 2 twisters for the seconds. I ran the numbers and it just is better for every one, the cleaners, me, and every one else supporting the trim scene to run the seconds through the twister...If 12 people can do 75 pounds a day then I spent 2400 to trim 75 pounds not 15K...And it happened in 1 day...Can TOTALLY cut down on the trim scene duration by doing this...Then maybe shake and bake the hand trimmed colas with the seconds or have an "A" lot and a "B+" lot? I don't know...Open to ideas..What are the rest of you going to do?

Coming in to the final push here big plant people! Many blessings and MAXIMUM respect to every one doing it on ANY level..Bring the medicine to the people at the highest grade!

nomaad

Veteran
using a twister for the seconds ain't a bad idea.

are you planning on drying the tops in thoise hoops?

with all this twister on the 2nds talk, dive more into it...

what percentage of the plants do you call 1sts (colas)

I was going to hand trim all, but then that obviously = paying out the ass!

nomaad

Veteran
We are hand trimming it all, as usual. I also do not grow a half ton of herb.

I would say that mixing in machine trimmed nug with your top quality will lower the grade of your end product. I've been pretty clear on why I dislike machine trims. Its not my intention to judge anybody who uses a twister. If I ever grow a crop that is too big for my crew's hands, I will open-heartedly consider a machine. I just don't think I would mix that in with the hand trimmed love.

I have a feeling that if I did the math, I might be making less in the end, but I'm cool with trading off niche quality for a lower profit. I'm also convinced that a hand trim stays fresher longer. This may or may not be important in your business model, but i do value it in mine.

I would say that mixing in machine trimmed nug with your top quality will lower the grade of your end product. I've been pretty clear on why I dislike machine trims. Its not my intention to judge anybody who uses a twister. If I ever grow a crop that is too big for my crew's hands, I will open-heartedly consider a machine. I just don't think I would mix that in with the hand trimmed love.

I have a feeling that if I did the math, I might be making less in the end, but I'm cool with trading off niche quality for a lower profit. I'm also convinced that a hand trim stays fresher longer. This may or may not be important in your business model, but i do value it in mine.

amen man... we've always hand trimmed it all, payed trimmers a fair amount... then sold it for cheaper than anyone elses machined bud. Just was wondering everyone angle.

I like yours man

Manitoid

T

Trinity Gold

The first cut will be the outer 30-40% depending on the strain.

@nomaad Yes bro I'm planning on drying the colas in the hoop houses. Hoping to be done before any major weather. Should work out that way with the twister on the seconds

I think personally you're wrong with the whole temperature and rH trip...

In my experience as long as you have a shit load of air exchange and air circulation there won't be any problems.. The plan is to take the second tier of wire down and hang the racks from the top tier and run the twistered gear through the hoops as well.

I wont be mixing gear either...

G

Ganja D

with all this twister on the 2nds talk, dive more into it...

what percentage of the plants do you call 1sts (colas)

I was going to hand trim all, but then that obviously = paying out the ass!

I have 2 falls experience with a twister and all my friends call it the deCrystalizer 1000. I have never actually heard of a real life experience or situation where it actually saved money or made anything more efficient or easier for anyone. I am admittedly biased,but I'm also completely telling the truth.
I could see someone using it for smalls,but even that won't save any money.
If you care about your herb and/or your reputation you don't want to use it.

G

guest8905

i heard that those decrystalizers are super super loud, requiring all near bye to wear ear protection, and actually are not pleasant to work with. isnt this going against our love for this peaceful plant.....to put it into a mersh machine, heck i guess if you want mersh karma with your plants thats cool

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran

I have to agree with ya Nom. I would expand by saying while I applaud those who grow excessive amounts, the trade off is having to consider processing larger yields via the mechanized approach. There in lies "the business model". It is what it is. It's the very reason we plow with tractors equipped with GPS these days instead of mules...

Nomad mentions "niche quality". I think he's hit the nail with this description. The med market is such that with so many folks doing it and the ridiculous amount of weed available at almost anytime of the year these days, the one real satisfaction I will not trade is the hand trimmed signature of a dedicated and conscientious grower. I think it indicates to those who know a hand trimmed bud vs a machined flower that the grower's product is truly an extension of the grower himself and that chances are very good, the product itself is of the highest quality. And that, IMO, defines a true medicinal grower...Hey, but that's just one cowboy's opinion...CC

nomaad

Veteran
The first cut will be the outer 30-40% depending on the strain.

@nomaad Yes bro I'm planning on drying the colas in the hoop houses. Hoping to be done before any major weather. Should work out that way with the twister on the seconds

I think personally you're wrong with the whole temperature and rH trip...

In my experience as long as you have a shit load of air exchange and air circulation there won't be any problems.. The plan is to take the second tier of wire down and hang the racks from the top tier and run the twistered gear through the hoops as well.

I wont be mixing gear either...

30-40% A's and the rest B's? I just did that math I have been avoiding... I just used the example u made the other day.

75#@1600 (best i have seen for machine trimmed Bs) minus the 2400 cost of trimming= 117,600

75#@2200 (call it the best I have seen for hand trimmed added to bags of A's) minus the 15,000 cost of trimming (no food or housing costs here)= 150,000

What material are you going to use for the racks?

Too much room for x factors in your paradigm. I would not be comfortable with it. Not saying it won't work... just too many whatifs for me.

What is your RH before the rains come? When are the rains coming? How long will they last? In this area, its can be as low as 20 and as I as 35 in the daytime and 45-55 at night. Until it rains. But then if the rain stops fast enough and the sun come back out it will go right back to 20-25 if the temps are right. And then it might rain again.... and who knows for how long. each year of (almost) 3 has been totally different...

Again, I acknowledge that your scale dictates necessities that I do not have to think about.

I haven't made any conclusions about whether I am right or wrong, but I have determined a fact. That my process, as it is, is successful in rendering the quality ganja I need for my clients, who pay a premium and have no problem returning or refusing meds that do not fit their standards.

The ganja they have returned or refused has been grown as well as the stuff they have been happy with (I have seen it on the vine in almost every case) but that quality has not followed through processing. All I know is I need the one kind of gear and can do absolutely nothing with the other... My business is small and I have longstanding relationships with clients who are less and less willing to take anything but the best and the most consistent.

I cannot control the weather, but I HAVE created a standard for control of a properly insulated, ventilated and humidity controlled environment that i can replicate on any 24x24 patch of earth and it will render a AAA Outdoor product that is consistent with my clients' expectations. If its overkill, I am cool with that. That is the nature of standards.

Last year's B scene did not match the environmental control standards of the A scene and the results were obvious. I haven;t had time to conduct a real analysis of all the different factors and their impact. But I had to dump the product at a major price drop and hassle spike.

The first thing I will do at my next property is build two concrete floored barns that are almost exactly like my current garage... maybe a little bigger with loft space. In a single day they will be able to be converted to any of the uses I have used them for in the past. There is a binder that contains all the parameters for each purpose and reminds us of all the standards in place to ensure the same success as last time.

A 32x32 pole barn can handle 400 lbs over 6 weeks and costs about the same as a twister. U may need both... I'm just making the comparison for its own sake.

Whatever u do, you are an operaor and you will continue to be more and more successful with each season. I will dry a little selection in a hoop house this fall and see what happens just because I have not tried it yet and you may well kno what you're talking about.

Last edited:

somoz

Veteran
If 12 people can do 75 pounds a day then I spent 2400 to trim 75 pounds not 15K...And it happened in 1 day...Can TOTALLY cut down on the trim scene duration by doing this...Then maybe shake and bake the hand trimmed colas with the seconds or have an "A" lot and a "B+" lot? I don't know...Open to ideas..What are the rest of you going to do?

Coming in to the final push here big plant people! Many blessings and MAXIMUM respect to every one doing it on ANY level..Bring the medicine to the people at the highest grade!

Sounds like you are putting the time in to design a successful drying scene TG, my two cents would be this. I would have three grades. An A. B. and C. The A is obviously your kill, it's your fire that you get top dollar for and shouldn't be mixed with anything. Your B's are the ones that you might be able to have some leeway with as far as mixing.......It really just depends on the scope and range of quality in the B category. But after that initial chop of your trees, I feel like there is usually a good amount of variation with everything else that comes down after that. The C's are clearly going to be C's but I think there's some wiggle room in the B category.

I mean if you can get 2-4 ounces of your better C's into the B category and you are getting X amount more per each B than C, well then it adds up with the volume that's going out the door. The C's are gonna be for the garbage dump regardless so....

Look forward to seein how this plays out bro.

T

Trinity Gold

30-40% A's and the rest B's? I just did that math I have been avoiding... I just used the example u made the other day.

75#@1600 (best i have seen for machine trimmed Bs) minus the 2400 cost of trimming= 117,600

75#@2200 (call it the best I have seen for hand trimmed added to bags of A's) minus the 15,000 cost of trimming (no food or housing costs here)= 150,000 I don't know what you're on about with the pricing. I soak all mine in glycerine..Tryin' to cancer proof myself and my family.

What material are you going to use for the racks?

Going to use 60 of the collapsible, flippable racks

Too much room for x factors in your paradigm. I would not be comfortable with it. Not saying it won't work... just too many whatifs for me.

What is your RH before the rains come? 15-25 When are the rains coming? Hopefully later in October How long will they last? In this area, its can be as low as 20 and as I as 35 in the daytime and 45-55 at night. Those #s are pretty much where I'm at...20-55% will dry buds out in 3-4 days Until it rains. But then if the rain stops fast enough and the sun come back out it will go right back to 20-25 if the temps are right. Let's hope for an Indian summer And then it might rain again.... and who knows for how long. each year of (almost) 3 has been totally different...

Again, I acknowledge that your scale dictates necessities that I do not have to think about. It got on the verge of stupid this year..

I haven't made any conclusions about whether I am right or wrong, but I have determined a fact. That my process, as it is, is successful in rendering the quality ganja I need for my clients, who pay a premium and have no problem returning or refusing meds that do not fit their standards.

The ganja they have returned or refused has been grown as well as the stuff they have been happy with (I have seen it on the vine in almost every case) but that quality has not followed through processing. All I know is I need the one kind of gear and can do absolutely nothing with the other... My business is small and I have longstanding relationships with clients who are less and less willing to take anything but the best and the most consistent. It's 2011 in California man...I'm pretty sure that is every one..

I cannot control the weather, but I HAVE created a standard for control of a properly insulated, ventilated and humidity controlled environment that i can replicate on any 24x24 patch of earth and it will render a AAA Outdoor product that is consistent with my clients' expectations. If its overkill, I am cool with that. That is the nature of standards.

If I had the time and money to set up 3 40 x 60 buildings insulated and air conditioned how I want with Dri Eaz 3500 dehums pumping air through its own duct system I would do it, but it's just me and I'm not there yet but I will be.

Last year's B scene did not match the environmental control standards of the A scene and the results were obvious. I haven;t had time to conduct a real analysis of all the different factors and their impact. But I had to dump the product at a major price drop and hassle spike.

My A's and B's were equal in quality last year it just took longer to trim the B grade, longer I had people here longer I had to have some one cooking, making runs to town for food etc.,..

The first thing I will do at my next property is build two concrete floored barns that are almost exactly like my current garage... maybe a little bigger with loft space. In a single day they will be able to be converted to any of the uses I have used them for in the past. There is a binder that contains all the parameters for each purpose and reminds us of all the standards in place to ensure the same success as last time.

Good luck :)

A 32x32 pole barn can handle 400 lbs over 6 weeks and costs about the same as a twister. U may need both... I'm just making the comparison for its own sake.

I need to do those numbers in 2 weeks not 6.

Whatever u do, you are an operaor a what? and you will continue to be more and more successful with each season. Thanks :) The plants make me do it.. I will dry a little selection in a hoop house this fall and see what happens just because I have not tried it yet and you may well kno what you're talking about. I actually don't know shit. I just grew about 5 times more than I can dry this year and asked Tom Hill what to do...I'm pretty sure he knows though! Respect. TG

Sounds like you are putting the time in to design a successful drying scene TG, my two cents would be this. I would have three grades. An A. B. and C. The A is obviously your kill, it's your fire that you get top dollar for and shouldn't be mixed with anything. Glycerin bro, glycerin. Not for resale! Your B's are the ones that you might be able to have some leeway with as far as mixing.......It really just depends on the scope and range of quality in the B category. The B cut I was planning is looking like it will come in around the 14th to the 21st of October I was hoping to have the trimmers just buck down whatever is good at the time we get to it and just dry what would be the "C" grade on shade cloth racks that I will eventually combine with the "A" cut trim and make hash with. I heard about a friend of a friend who hashed his whole "B" cut of D.O.G last year and got 50 # of full melt...But after that initial chop of your trees, I feel like there is usually a good amount of variation with everything else that comes down after that. The C's are clearly going to be C's but I think there's some wiggle room in the B category. I think there's a little room to wiggle with all of it.

I mean if you can get 2-4 ounces of your better C's into the B category and you are getting X amount more per each B than C, well then it adds up with the volume that's going out the door. The C's are gonna be for the garbage dump regardless so....I'm about ready to push it all in to a pile and light it on fire right now but we'll make it through to the end..Home stretch now..

Look forward to seein how this plays out bro. It's a fun ride so far! Hopefully it doesn't get too hairy...

http://soundcloud.com/nige-bc/pretty-lights-vs-2pac-i-can-see-your-still-ballin-nige-mashup

nomaad

Veteran
TG: You might want to use something other than shade cloth for racks. I noticed that the shade cloth, while effective, kinda flattens the nug a bit.

I think this stuff will work better. Ask Tom, i think he is of the same opinion. It may sag a lot more than the shade cloth, but i think it will be a hell of a lot easier on the nugs.
diamond_mesh_netting.jpg

typical_nylon_mesh_fabric.jpg

I am not sure what you mean about "collapsible, flippable racks". got a link?

T

Trinity Gold

What makes you think that? They're the black laundry baskets that zip shut that you can compress and flip to prevent the one sided nug phenomenon.

Status
Not open for further replies.