What's new

...The Greatest Rock Album Ever Made...

jiramos

Since I couldn't posibly choose one, I'd say my prefered albums of all times are:

Can - Ege Bamyasi (1972)

United States of America - s/t (1967)

The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat (1967)

Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates Dawn (1967)

Os Mutantes - s/t (1968)

Jimi Hendrix - Are you Experienced (1967)

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour (1967)

(SEEMS LIKE 1967 WAS A GOOD YEAR)

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
wow, some awesome albums listed here.

new rock - foo fighters - the colour and the shape

old rock - the band - music from the big pink

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
even though i was never a fan of theirs in the day ... i would say zep: IV, and physical graffitti.

Floyd, dark side of the moon: can listen to it from first fade in 'til "there is no dark side of the moon; as a matter of fact it's all dark". and love every second of it. got stoned many times to it, faded into sleep to it.

aerosmith: toys in the attic. "big 10 inch record" LOL;

the clash: london calling. that tune alone ...

my dark horse: "montrose", ronnie's first solo album, after time with, of all people, van morrison. ted templeman producing, he just rips it up great, "there's good rockin' tonight", "bad motor scooter"; and sammy hagar sounding great.

other greats: master of reality by sabbath; made in japan by deep purple; select jeff beck, the only one of the 70s guitar gods that had some goddam funk to him ('cept hendrix, he had it all)

Last edited:

Kirby

jiramos said:
Os Mutantes - s/t (1968)

Os Mutantes is rockin' awesome! 'Baby' is a joy to listen to. Don't think any of the songs on that album are skip-able either, they're all great. Os Mutantes made perhaps the most fascinating psychedelic album of the late 60s. Best Brazilian band, ever! :yes:

I don't have a #1 all-time Rock album, but many of the albums already listed are in my top 15. But to contribute... This isn't my all-time favorite by any means, but it's right up there with the creme of Floyd, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Velvet Underground, Joy Division, etc.

Maggot Brain by Funkadelic

H

Hazeseeker

in no particular order:

Foo Fighters - the colour and the shape
Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters
Nirvana - Nevermind
Nirvana - In Utero
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
:joint:

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dr Dog said:
Hmm Great question I will give up four, and bear in mind when you read these I was born in the early 70's
Dog..I graduated high in the early 70s and by yours, and many, of these nomies I need to go back to Rock School? ...and I'm a musician? Wow.....I feel terribly old...how bout I stick to photography? Led Zeplin II..DD

H

Hazeseeker

If anyone loves Led Zeppelin you should definately check out an Australian band called 'Wolfmother',
i first noticed these guys back in 2005 at a festival, guy's got an awesome voice (Andrew Stockdale - similar to Plant) and the music is great :headbange

Last edited:
B

bagseed77

ac/dc back in black, is the best rock album ever,good to get your drink on too, knockin me out with those american thighssss

HappyHemphog

I've always thought Led Zeppelin II was the perfect example of a Rock & Roll album. Every single song on that album got radio airplay and still does today. I've tried but have never been able to find an album that can honestly meet that level of quality and popularity.

Cheers
Hempy

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hempy Hog..looks as if my Led Zep II metion is getting some support..burnin up the thread...DD

Reefdoggie

Fo Shizzle, Hempy! Truly, one of my favorite albums.

I always struggle with these types of issues as there's a bunch that simply evoke such great memories, and were musically so far ahead of their times...

For my 2 cents, the Stone's "Sticky Fingers" ranks right up there too!

poonugz

Beatles- White Album
Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon
My personal favorites at the moment
David Bowie- Ziggy Stardust
Neil Young- Harvest
and I love how someone said Pantera Vulgar Display of Power

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Uhm, I thought it was Rock albums? I am gonna go with Rage against the machine's Gorrila's in the mist. I like my rock hard, with blazing guitars and tinge of political fire!!

esbe

hybridsfromhell
Mentor
Veteran
early leppelin, sabbath and pink floyd. panteras "vulgar display" and "far beyond driven" albums are great modern rock albums

ConceptOfSleep

WOW! Some absolutely great albums listed in this thread... I have a very strange take on my Rock music, so Im most likely going to have some wird choices, and I could never ever narrow it down to one album...so here are a few, in no particular order.

Pink Floyd - Meddle, Animals, and Dark Side of the Moon...really cant pick between them...all phenomenal

CKY - "Infiltrate-Destroy-Rebuild" Before I hear any comments about these guys being "that band from Jackass", these guys are some of the purest musicians out there with a sound like no-one else EVER. From start to finish every song is one that rocks and sticks in your head, and it is a shame they don't have the commercial success they Deserve. Their underground following is quite amazing however. Long live the Alliance!

Queens of the Stone Age - "Rated R" and "Songs for the Deaf" both blow my mind and take me on a trip!

Metallica - I really cant choose between "Ride the Lightning" and "Master of Puppets". When I got these for the first time, my ears could not beleive what I was hearing. Being born in the early 80's I was certainly a bit behind, but goddamn these guys rocked. Glad their new album was still decent.

Pantera - "Cowboys from Hell" Vulgar is amazing as well, but this one sticks in my mind the most when I think of Pantera. CfH, Cemetary Gates, Walk, The Sleep...soo many good tracks on it. Although I still think my fav work of DIME's is the Solo from "Floods"... that man sure could make you feel something inside with his guitar work RIP Darrell, we love ya!!

Kyuss - "Welcome to Sky Valley" Best stoner rock album ever. PERIOD.

and this last choice of mine may be one that really gets me blasted by some...

Incubus - "S.C.I.E.N.C.E." I hated this band, hearing their commercials singles from "Make yourself" on the radio my first year in college, but after hearing this album, I was a beleiver. Amazing guitar work by Mike Einziger, Boyd sure can sing, and in this album, scream his ass off, and a sound they should have stuck with.

:joint:

Last edited:

Kwigybo

Beatles
Sgt. Pepper
Abbey Road
Rubber Soul
Revolver
White Album

Floyd
Dark Side Of The Moon
The Wall

Bowie
Rise and Fall Of Ziggy Stardust
Space Oddity
Young Americans

Zimmerman
Highway 61
New Morning
Desire

Cream
Disraeli Gears
Wheels Of Fire

Creedence
Cosmo's Factory
Willy And The Poor Boys
Green River

Split Enz
Mental Notes (Most under-rated, unplayed, unheard of album. It is a masterpiece)

The Doors
L.A. Woman
The Doors

George Harrison
All Things Must Pass

Hendrix
Are You Experienced
Electric Ladyland

John Lennon
Imagine

The Kinks
Something Else By The Kinks