What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Filter/Exhaust Question

DankSide

Yes, there are about 5 other threads of this on page asking similar questions, but I'd like to ask a question to think on.

So what would be the issue with a fan and filter actually in the attic so there is only ducting in your room or tent heading up from the air cooled hood?

Air cooled hood =====> Ducting =====> Fan pushing through filter in attic.

This way you limit noise, air is vented out, space is maximized and air is scrubbed so long as your ducting is all sealed. It would work for anything inside of that area.

I just have a hard time believing the following would scrub 100% of the air comparatively.

Carbon Scrubber ====> ducting ====> Air cooled hood ====> ducting ====> Fan in attic ====> exhaust air.

Maybe with a cooltube that would work, but with an open air cooled hood, I feel like air would be pulled through the hood more than the carbon filter. I feel as if that system would only ever work for a cooltube that is fully enclosed.

What I hear a lot say is best - setting a carbon filter with fan connected right to it, and pull air from the filter to push through the air cooled hood where it will finally get exhausted. Do you really want all that noise and space being taken up inside the tent or room itself though? These powerful inline fans are industrial grade for the most part - they can easily be placed in the attic and do just fine.

Carbon Scrubber => Fan ====> Air cooled hood =====> Exhaust ducting. (Would you guys say this is best?)

I just don't see what's wrong with throwing the two biggest pieces of the puzzle into the attic so air is blown directly from fan into filter - just take the pre-filter off. Negative pressure, scrubbed air, no problems.

Would like someone with a well functioning pull setup to post a few pictures of how they have things set up.

qupee

Fan & filter in attic is fine. Not everybody can run a duct to the attic, though. And if it snows /gets cold in your area it might be a problem thermally (give you away).

I hate using room space for a fan and filter, too. But sometimes it's the best option for the situation.

groer

It will work fine, only drawbacks are that the inside of the filter will eventually clog and you have to go into the attic to bring it down and clean it. I used to blow mine off with an air hose and it would be good for a while.

DankSide

I would not really consider a reflector TRUE air cooled if it is not sealed.

Defeats the purpose altogether.

Hmm, even with the glass insert I never considered it truly sealed myself. Although it screws in pretty tight, I wouldn't trust it.

Never did like running with glass and always felt as long as there was exhaust, that the light would never get too hot.

After so much reading on this topic, it seems a lot of people swear by the pull method, a lot of people get downright emotional over it. I have yet to read one good scientific explanation about it though.

When pulling from the carbon filter, how much does fan placement matter?

Latest posts

Latest posts