What's new

The Extremes Of Mothers Fury In One Year

HillBillMt

So i seen the outdoor threads and thought id share with some of you the extremes ive had the pleasure of experiencing.
first lets go to silence and cold, this is one that took many years to find, true silence in the wild can at times seem very noisy.. but i found a place and time that was so silent i dont even think i could hear my own blood rushing thru my eardrums. for awhile in life i built log homes, not just any log homes but very reclusive homes in very remote locations. i was trimmin a cabin outside of glacier park that year up near the northern border. it was mid feb and we had about 6' base and 8' burms on both sides of the road (i did the plowing fer the first 6 miles out). i had bin stayin on site due to the location being a 140 mile round trip ta town/hotel. as the temps dropped so di the sounds, at 20 below yer snot will freeze on the first breath and 40 below your eyes freeze around the edges. it was then i noticed the one thing "britts" and "americans" agree on around the world..... 45 below zero !!! now some would say thats damned cold, well at that point i would agree but it got colder, in the ten days that the temps dropped we finaly hit a balmy 52 below, now thats fukin cold and quiet as ive ever seen or heard...

then we have the complete other side of things

it just so happins that it was only miles from where i trimmed the cabin. at the time (only six months prior to 52 below) i had bin living there, but it wasnt long before things where not so nice around the place. ya see we had a lighting strike, about 7 miles out, due west. well the plume of smoke started and within three days there was no sky left. at this point forest service is evacuating everybody and any livestock and borade drops are a regular thing. by day 6 there was only fire crews and the two of us that stayed on the property (not entirely sure what i was thinkin). we had built a dug-out that was 5'x5' wide and 4' deep (shallow grave?), i made some trusses and put metal roofin on it with 3" of gravel/dirt on top of it all, a ramped entry and a hanging canvas door, oh no im serious. this hole was centered in a clearing 180' from the tree line.. well as you could easly guesse the fire came, boy howdy did it ever.. as we shut down the dozer and set the sprinklers on the trucks, the firestorm moved in. i recall standing at the entry to our make-shift bunker and watching the trees explode as the fire rolled in, hearing the rumble and the roar (yupp just like ole # 92) and feeling the radiant heat on my face (im 180 feet away) and the shaking of the ground beneeth me. we looked around one last time and went in the bunker...... it was twenty minutes before we came out the first time and that was only for a few minutes ta throw a buket of water over the seat in the dozer that caught flame. after about ten more minutes in the bunker we finaly couldnt stand waiting and the two of us came out fightin mad. as we battled the flames and saved what we could, we could feel the engines on the planes above us go by but couldnt see them thru the smoke. it was 6 hours before we seen a soul, they showed up ta clean up the bodys that they told our wives were here.. umm, i dont think so, no it was very much to the surprise of forest service that we made it. now i never had the forsyth ta take any temp readings on that day but my face blistered in a few places so im sure it was hot....

any ???'s

HHB

Latest posts

Latest posts