What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THE DREADED RUSSET MITES???

TnTLabs

i went through what everyone else went through...& it was too late by the time i understood what was happening...i did absolutely NOTHING (one mother plant i did toss),,

,believe it,or not they mostly stayed beneath canopy level on the flowering plants so i was able to finish...the sucked a lot of vigour & yield was not what it should have been,but still worth hanging in for ...after that i shut down the room...this was several months ago

room's still there:biggrin: i guess so are the f*ckers????

wow... you let them stop you?!
come on man... they are JUST mites.. :biggrin:
no honestly, if you think you dont have a chance then sure... might as well pack it in...
but they are living creatures and all creatures have their weak points...
you said it man... same happend to me.. by the time you realize whats up, the damage is done...
but Aspirin will help minimze mite damage.. plants can go on and finish flower nearly unaffected if you keep giving them Aspirin regularly...
Aspirin might slightly reduce yield, but i cant say for sure..
havent used it in a while

i think i saw you test some of gman´s blue digi crosses...
was looking good.. come on man... put the lights back on!

O

Orrie

The odds of winning the fight against russet and broads will be greatly improved with the use of companion plants to attract and keep predators happy with pollen and habitat.

- Insectary plants - is one term for it

A predator friendly environment outside the home will greatly benefit the indoor grow.
A cheap wildflower mix for your area would be a good start

D3pthCharg3

even just a 30X jewelers loupe...I have 45x and 60X and they have lil LEDs on them...you gotta see exactly what you are dealing with...good luck..i second predators if possible...i went through years of spraying all kinds of poisons on them..go natural and let predator mites make a buffet out of the bad guys..DJXX

Thanks for the input DJ. Those double loupe LED gadgets rock, mine allowed for easy and accurate identification. I'm with you, I believe that an accurate identification is key to treating a pest issue. I'll be definitely taking the advice on the predators.

Last edited:

D3pthCharg3

i second dj on that, theres a few different predator mites that chew on russet & broads..
theres no need to go so extreme and throw everything out etc...
the chances that you miss something and they return are higher than using a ton of predators.. i would spray each plant and cut with avid, 2 days later follow with potassium soap, essential oils & neem, repeat that 2-3 days later and if you want another time with Pyrethrin, by that time you will have killed at least 95%...
then put out 3 different kinds of predators
swirski
hypoaspis
Amblyseius californicus

hypoaspis will be digging in the soil looking for eggs, or dormant females, they are thorough! swirski will munch on the ones still alive.. same for californicus...

this approach is going to be much more cost effective in the long run and of course time saving.. not forgetting not loosing all your genetics...
hypoaspis will populate your grow and can live of other pests and can go without food for a few weeks...
they will even leave the soil and go munch on spider mites!!
to think that you will kill all pests and keep the garden pest free is naive, unless you run a sealed room with a air lock or something... not realistic
it just makes more sense to always have a constant supply of predators on patrol in the grow, that way pests cant get a foothold

Thanks for the in depth predator assessment, very much appreciated. I've personally already tossed all plants months ago, no biggie. My current plants are mite/pest free in a different location. I currently do not have to kill any mites on any living plants, thankfully this is not a problem for me. I must only prevent them from resurfacing on clean plants after a 3 month+ shutdown. The plants will be brought in after clean-up of the room.
I must respectfully disagree, I do believe one can run a pest/pathogen free garden indoors, at least on a smaller scale. I do agree in keeping a constant supply of predators around. I will be looking into the pollen and predator companions mentioned (thanks for that Orrie). Thanks to Tnt for the input, I really appreciate you taking the time. That breakdown on the mites was proper!

Last edited:

D3pthCharg3

i went through what everyone else went through...& it was too late by the time i understood what was happening...i did absolutely NOTHING (one mother plant i did toss),,

,believe it,or not they mostly stayed beneath canopy level on the flowering plants so i was able to finish...the sucked a lot of vigour & yield was not what it should have been,but still worth hanging in for ...after that i shut down the room...this was several months ago

room's still there:biggrin: i guess so are the f*ckers????
A buddy of mine has been running with them for a few months doing nothing to treat them, and like you say, they seemed to say below the canopy and allow him to finish up some plants. He's now shutting down though, seems like a similar situation, good to know the mites' MO. What are your start-up plans?

~star~crash~

A buddy of mine has been running with them for a few months doing nothing to treat them, and like you say, they seemed to say below the canopy and allow him to finish up some plants. He's now shutting down though, seems like a similar situation, good to know the mites' MO. What are your start-up plans?

I'm going to clean that room out real good after I let it sit for a good long time I figure late fall fire it up

D3pthCharg3

I'm going to clean that room out real good after I let it sit for a good long time I figure late fall fire it up

Yeah, if the time is available I say take it. Theoretically, if you wait long enough time will do it all for you. Not saying I wouldn't do a spray or two though, haha.

~star~crash~

No Issues thus far outside new crop off from seed and it's easy to see this kind of problem it's all in the new growth if you look at the pics I posted if the new growth looks like that you know you got these things

O

Orrie

I haven’t had russet or broad mites in my garden although a fellow grower did just a few hundred yards away.
He has since chosen to be more proactive with companion planting and less reactive .

7 or 8 years ago I convinced my neighbor to stop spraying bug killer on the hops and berries on the back fence.
Hops are a known trap crop for aphids. Although totally different insect from RM and BM, the principle is the same.

- lemon balm, yarrow, tansy, borage, comfrey, nettle, clover, garlic, onion, wild carrot and others I cant remember are somewhere in that mess.

-the only insect on the yarrow today due to cold and cloudy

-Love to see these guys/gals on the hops this time of year

-cause these eating machines will soon follow

The aphids are no longer a problem on my overwintering peppers as they were in the past.

The predators can and will win if given the chance. Inside and outside.
Growers would be wise to stop killing everything that moves with poisons and provide habitat for the good guys.

TnTLabs

I haven’t had russet or broad mites in my garden although a fellow grower did just a few hundred yards away.
He has since chosen to be more proactive with companion planting and less reactive .

7 or 8 years ago I convinced my neighbor to stop spraying bug killer on the hops and berries on the back fence.
Hops are a known trap crop for aphids. Although totally different insect from RM and BM, the principle is the same.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=73123&pictureid=1753934&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] - lemon balm, yarrow, tansy, borage, comfrey, nettle, clover, garlic, onion, wild carrot and others I cant remember are somewhere in that mess.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=73123&pictureid=1753935&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] -the only insect on the yarrow today due to cold and cloudy

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=73123&pictureid=1753936&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] -Love to see these guys/gals on the hops this time of year

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=73123&pictureid=1753937&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] -cause these eating machines will soon follow

The aphids are no longer a problem on my overwintering peppers as they were in the past.

The predators can and will win if given the chance. Inside and outside.
Growers would be wise to stop killing everything that moves with poisons and provide habitat for the good guys.

very nice!!

O

Orrie

Thank you TnT :tiphat: all credit goes to mama nature ,
i'm just an observer these days lol

couple pics of a few of the girls (fresh off the ccd )

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts