What's new

The Difference Between a Million, a Billion and a Trillion....

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
just to clarify, an american billion is one thousand million, a british billion (and a mathematical billion) is one million million. But out of interest, when using the term in relation to national debts, the uk govt use the american billion. Therefore for practical useage, the english or mathematical billion can be ignored and simply adopt the american inaccurate use of billion and you'll be right.

pokergod

A million is chump change for a pro athlete, a billion is chump change for Bill Gates and a trillion is chump change for the US government. The only thing is, that the athlete and Bill Gates have the money, the US gov just keeps printing more and more of it.

... since you mention it, does anyone remember Mr. Rumsfeld admitting on 9/10/2001 that 2.3 TRILLION dollars was missing from the books?

amazing that it hasn't been mentioned since. video can be found on You Tube

Xerhoss

Yep, then there's McDonalds, the greatest hustlers of all time: "billions and billions served." And here i am happy to get 10-20 jobs a year. :1help:

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
Austin_Powers_Mike_Myers_as_Dr_Evil.jpg

why make trillions when we can make.... BILLIONS!

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just to clarify, an american billion is one thousand million, a british billion (and a mathematical billion) is one million million. But out of interest, when using the term in relation to national debts, the uk govt use the american billion. Therefore for practical useage, the english or mathematical billion can be ignored and simply adopt the american inaccurate use of billion and you'll be right.

Isn't it great how we just throw academia in the trash can over here. Be it in describing integers or philosophy many of the words we use aren't based in academia or are sometimes the opposite of their true academic definition.

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Great post, but I gotta say :D:D, you have way too many 'seconds' on your hands, I enjoyed though teeeee heeeee heeeee

BrainSellz

Veteran
Isn't it great how we just throw academia in the trash can over here. Be it in describing integers or philosophy many of the words we use aren't based in academia or are sometimes the opposite of their true academic definition.
word...

Great post, but I gotta say :D:D, you have way too many 'seconds' on your hands, I enjoyed though teeeee heeeee heeeee
ty....:biglaugh:...i grabbed this bit from the net when i was trying to find out the difference between a billion and a million, someone else did all that math.....:)

F

ForbiddenFruit

So is it.... 1 trillion = 1 million million.... haha what a play on words

Back in the early days of the latest Iraq war Donald Rumsfeld turned to his boss President Bush the younger and told him that two Brazilian soldiers were killed in Fallujah.
Our noble president responded by asking "Don, how many is a brazilian?"

Trillion

Back in the early days of the latest Iraq war Donald Rumsfeld turned to his boss President Bush the younger and told him that two Brazilian soldiers were killed in Fallujah.
Our noble president responded by asking "Don, how many is a brazilian?"

I just rofl'd off my seat, is that actually true? Wait it's Bush, of course it is. . Got a good few chuckles from this thread:)

I swear that million stack looks kinda small, about the same size as both his shoes, I'd expect at least a briefcase full. Damn I'd like to drive a forklift with one of those pallets on!

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Our unfunded liabilities are 100+ of those! Government accounting methods makes Enron look honest Boy Scouts.