What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The DEFINITIVE OG Kush History

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
it looks like a plain old indica to me.... but u can only charge .... (fill in the blank) per oz...BUT calling it og.... josh/kosher/dingleberry og , whatever, and the price goes up.....

goingrey

NL = Kandahar x Kabul
The One = Thai x Kandahar
NL2 = Hindu Kush x Kandahar x Kabul
NL5 = Hawaiian x Kandahar x Kabul
Nevils "NL5" = Hawaiian(has Thai) x Kandahar x Kabul x Hindu Kush x Kandahar x Kabul

So, Bubba Kush is (Hawaiian x Kandahar x Kabul x Hindu Kush x Kandahar x Kabul) x OG

That's fascinating but where is this info from?

mexweed

Veteran
Where has it been stated that nl5 is the nl in bubba?

Also, what are the BOEL takes on Oregon Afghani origins (is it Kabul, Kandahar etc) and the pnw dogbud lineage? Swami supposedly has the pnw dogbud

sbeanonnamellow

Hey Thcvhunter thats intriguing. By NL, do you mean NL1 or Purest Indica or am I just adding more to the confusion?

I've heard so much about these varieties it all seems to get mixed up and hard to recall what is a given truth at a given point in time. If that makes any sense.

Just wondering how NL1 and Purest Indica work into the whole Northern Lites nomenclature. Additionally, I'm curious as to the claims of some that NL1 has part Afghani from Nevil. Not trying to stir the pot, just trying to sort what I've read over so long. The landrace regions are pretty neat and new information to me. So cool and thanks for sharing. Much love

goingrey

BOEL guys and Greg that Ive talked to.
So the Afghani strains used to create NL (by people from the Indoor Sun Shoppe in Seattle) were sourced by BOEL?

When was this - 1973 or earlier I guess?

From Cannabis: A History by Martin Booth (ISBN‎ 978-0312424947)

Indeed, once the Afghan government realized the export potential for hashish in the late 1960s, it encouraged cannabis growing using artificial fertilizers to boost production. By 1973, huge acreages were under cannabis in the regions around Kandahar and Mazar-e-Sharif.

Early in 1973, the US government paid the Afghan authorities forty-seven million dollars to destroy hashish and opium, the country's other main narcotic, within their borders. One of King Zahir Shah's last decrees before he was overthrown, posted throughout Afghanistan, outlawed cannabis and opium farming with immediate effect. It was largely ignored, especially as far as the cannabis farmers were concerned. They had been doing it for centuries and they were not going to stop now. In the summer, Afghan army units fanned out across the cannabis-growing areas, burning crops and homes, intimidating, arresting and killing the farmers. Most of the 1973 crop was lost but not all of it: farms owned by the government officials were conveniently ignored. The king's forty-year reign came to an end when he was deposed by his brother-in-law in the autumn. Few farmers regretted it. For two years, little cannabis was grown, the chai khana were forced to close and the surviving cannabis farmers relocated to remote areas. The Western smugglers left but hashish production gradually increased again with supplies being smuggled into Pakistan which, in addition to being a large producer in its own right, also became a major international distributor nation.

In the early 80s, when NL was bred, Afghanistan was at war with the Soviet Union.

And while you bring this information to this thread with the Bubba = OG x NL connection I'm pretty sure there is NL even in straight OG. I base this on nothing but the smell of the OGs and NLs I've grown though, especially in veg. :D

Thcvhunter

Veteran
So the Afghani strains used to create NL (by people from the Indoor Sun Shoppe in Seattle) were sourced by BOEL?

When was this - 1973 or earlier I guess?

From Cannabis: A History by Martin Booth (ISBN‎ 978-0312424947)

Indeed, once the Afghan government realized the export potential for hashish in the late 1960s, it encouraged cannabis growing using artificial fertilizers to boost production. By 1973, huge acreages were under cannabis in the regions around Kandahar and Mazar-e-Sharif.

Early in 1973, the US government paid the Afghan authorities forty-seven million dollars to destroy hashish and opium, the country's other main narcotic, within their borders. One of King Zahir Shah's last decrees before he was overthrown, posted throughout Afghanistan, outlawed cannabis and opium farming with immediate effect. It was largely ignored, especially as far as the cannabis farmers were concerned. They had been doing it for centuries and they were not going to stop now. In the summer, Afghan army units fanned out across the cannabis-growing areas, burning crops and homes, intimidating, arresting and killing the farmers. Most of the 1973 crop was lost but not all of it: farms owned by the government officials were conveniently ignored. The king's forty-year reign came to an end when he was deposed by his brother-in-law in the autumn. Few farmers regretted it. For two years, little cannabis was grown, the chai khana were forced to close and the surviving cannabis farmers relocated to remote areas. The Western smugglers left but hashish production gradually increased again with supplies being smuggled into Pakistan which, in addition to being a large producer in its own right, also became a major international distributor nation.

In the early 80s, when NL was bred, Afghanistan was at war with the Soviet Union.

And while you bring this information to this thread with the Bubba = OG x NL connection I'm pretty sure there is NL even in straight OG. I base this on nothing but the smell of the OGs and NLs I've grown though, especially in veg. :D

BOEL brought back Afghans around 1968

smokestacks

So if josh D is the original source for OG kush who is harold putz? There is a different story in seed finder. Seed finder said putz got one of the chemdog cuts and cut it with his lemon thai x old world paki. All his cuts were given away when he moved to NZ in 96 This is the story by kailua kid from sierra seeds.
So is this a false story?

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
So if josh D is the original source for OG kush who is harold putz? There is a different story in seed finder. Seed finder said putz got one of the chemdog cuts and cut it with his lemon thai x old world paki. All his cuts were given away when he moved to NZ in 96 This is the story by kailua kid from sierra seeds.
So is this a false story?
Fake story

mexweed

Veteran
there is the story of triangle kush that mentions a strain called emerald triangle which I think needs more digging into because obviously if it made its way to FL there were other growers in CA running the emerald triangle too, I wonder about a potential emerald triangle pnw dogbud relation

JetLife175

Veteran
there is the story of triangle kush that mentions a strain called emerald triangle which I think needs more digging into because obviously if it made its way to FL there were other growers in CA running the emerald triangle too, I wonder about a potential emerald triangle pnw dogbud relation
That's being sussed out. Actually what I've been narrowing down and making sure I have things correct since I posted the original post in this thread. I don't want to spew information just because I heard or read it. Fact checking and verifying with those that I can. Due diligence and all that good stuff.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
I honestly think treating prized clones as if they are autogamous for a few generations to work out some of the lesser desired traits before introducing any new genetic material - of any kind - is the best approach. I've got a sticky some where that discusses a 7-10 year plan for the very purpose of trying to achieve a more stable single plant. This would aid in recombinations of true F1 parents, like you are suggesting.

The idea though, is you have to use your clone to create a new P1 line. Bx back to the clone once refined to restore variation. Throw those seeds in a drawer for worst case scenario, but move forward with the refined clone.

Honestly, I'll be utilizing this EXACT process with the BTY s1 seeds. Those seeds, will represent all the possible known variations that exist within OG without any outside genetic influences. That means, each plant, could potentially represent a individual valuable trait worth holding and isolating. True structure? True Terps? Odd ball indica pheno? Whatever it may be - each of these desirable plants gets selfed further and worked until that single attribute is more consistent.

It'll be fun to document what I've been discussing. I hope it changes the way some people think about what they have sitting in their seed vaults, instead of chasing the next new fad and constantly outcrossing to strike gold.

The gold is there - in the seeds already. You didn't get a bad batch of the gene pool. It just takes TIME.

That is the biggest difference between the older stuff and modern stuff. Before, seeds and genes were NOT as accessible. You got a pack of seeds, you grew that gear for 8-10 years, every year trying the best you could to improve it. If you ever got lucky enough to meet someone else who grew, you got a chance to make a hybrid and a life long friend...who together you worked that single line for another 10-15 years...

That's not happening anymore. Our current strain array shows it too.

We need to hit the brakes and stop letting corporate mentality and interests control how we approach this plant.

dank.Frank
Well that was yesterday...

Desert Dan

Veteran
I just got a different Tahoe OG (skunktek) and previously ran a older Tahoe OG (progressive options) and can say they neither of them grow like your typical lanky OG… More leafy compact structure.

SFV, Ghost, Louis, and Loompa all have the typical 3 leaflet viney thing going on. Thought I’d share…

-DD

Last edited:

thegermling2.0

I just got a different Tahoe OG (skunktek) and previously ran a older Tahoe OG (progressive options) and can say they neither of them grow like your typical lanky OG… More leafy compact structure.

SFV, Ghost, Louis, and Loompa all have the typical 3 leaflet vineyard thing going on. Thought I’d share…

-DD
I’m still waiting on my ogk from skunktek.
Great thread.

I'm sure I heard somebody on a podcast say OG Kush is an NL2.
Nl is in a lot of old cuts. I wouldn’t be surprised but ive never heard that.

Latest posts

Latest posts