What's new

The DEFINITIVE OG Kush History

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I loves me a good thick full body Kush. It blows me away to read that xxxxx OGK and yyyyy OGK and even just OGK are the same strain. I have had several OGKs (from the pack lable) and they were different. Whatever that Diamond OGK was it was very good. The buds were huge and the high was like someone rubbed a soothing lotion on you. Strange, especially when the various "names" are coming from the same farmer.

Last edited:

Cannastyle

Awesome thread Jetlife!

It’s great to see the OG story coming to light. It’s been my favorite smoke since I first tried it, and still remains so!

It’s funny you guys mention Russians in LA. The best OG i can remember is back in 09 or 10 and it was “Russian Kush” from Cali. Hmmmmm....

Listening to nspecta talk about finding og kush type plants in triangle kush s1s but cant find triangle kush type plants in og kush s1s says alot like proof is in the pudding as they say.

Did matt berger travel with og cuts or s1 seeds of triangle kush. The phylos clusterf**k doesnt disprove triangle kush as the parent.

It does look like s1 variation rather than phenotypic plasticity but could prove that phenotypic plasticity is more probable coming from s1 rather than f1.

Og kush is an s1 bagseed. So how many s2 s3 s4 s5 og kush out there.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So Jetlife175 nice thread

You got any clear pics instead of all the old pics from beginning of the thread most from 10 plus years back

These would be very useful

Clear fan leaf pic
A whole plant pics
Close up pics of buds

Peace

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Listening to nspecta talk about finding og kush type plants in triangle kush s1s but cant find triangle kush type plants in og kush s1s says alot like proof is in the pudding as they say.

Did matt berger travel with og cuts or s1 seeds of triangle kush. The phylos clusterf**k doesnt disprove triangle kush as the parent.

It does look like s1 variation rather than phenotypic plasticity but could prove that phenotypic plasticity is more probable coming from s1 rather than f1.

Og kush is an s1 bagseed. So how many s2 s3 s4 s5 og kush out there.

What's the link?

JetLife175

Veteran
So Jetlife175 nice thread

You got any clear pics instead of all the old pics from beginning of the thread most from 10 plus years back

These would be very useful

Clear fan leaf pic
A whole plant pics
Close up pics of buds

Peace

Here’s a pic of a whole plant.

picture.php

I’ll look around for more. If I can’t find I’ll take new pics of this upcoming run.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I lovd the Diamond OG I had, and saw an ad for it. Clicking on the link tere was this description. LOL. https://www.weedsta.com/dispensary/da-spot/reviews/tab#menu

OG stands for Ocean Grown, and it also refers to Original Gangster, though technically it refers to plants traditionally grown outdoors since salty conditions will kill cannabis. The strain became very popular and spread out form the LA-San Francisco area. It refers to a wide variety of Indica hybrids that are commercially available. It is used for medicinal purposes though it is a stimulant and my keep you awake.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
It just occured to me, that based on the account of the guy who was growing it in Gainsville, there was an episode of the Adam Dunn show that matched the accounts in this thread, and as well as the Hash Church anniversary episode where everyone was on with the same established story.

Anyway, they were inquiring about the seed that became what we now know as OG Kush, and the guy (I forget his name, but I'm sure some of you know who I'm talking about, the Florida guy) said that it was from an OZ of crippy which he said was just a generic term at the time for any high grade green bud, and they questioned him how close of the bud from THE PLANT (OG Kush) was to the OZ of weed he found them in, and he said it was identical.

They then started to speculate that it could have been Dog which was around at the time, or Triangle, but I'm getting off point.

They asked him why he called it kush. He said that at the time he had no knowledge of afghan kush or hindu kush, or any of that, but that one of his friends came over one day, and said that the buds looked like "kushberries" and he didn't know what "kushberries" were, but liked the name kush, and that's why he eventually named it that.

That leads me to my point posting in this thread. He COULD have called it "kushberry" and then it would have really thrown people for a loop as far as the name is concerned, because clearly OG Kush has nothing in common with a Hindu Kush plant or an Afghan Kush plant in terms of structure, so the name is kind of misleading, even though there's likely kush genetics in it, as from what I understand it's just a complex hybrid, but then people might have assumed it was some blueberry cross.

I just found it interesting that he very well could have decided to name the plant "kushberry" or "kushberries" and then who knows? Maybe when it made it's way out west it would have been called something else like OG Kushberry, or KB?

JetLife175

Veteran
It just occured to me, that based on the account of the guy who was growing it in Gainsville, there was an episode of the Adam Dunn show that matched the accounts in this thread, and as well as the Hash Church anniversary episode where everyone was on with the same established story.

Anyway, they were inquiring about the seed that became what we now know as OG Kush, and the guy (I forget his name, but I'm sure some of you know who I'm talking about, the Florida guy) said that it was from an OZ of crippy which he said was just a generic term at the time for any high grade green bud, and they questioned him how close of the bud from THE PLANT (OG Kush) was to the OZ of weed he found them in, and he said it was identical.

They then started to speculate that it could have been Dog which was around at the time, or Triangle, but I'm getting off point.

They asked him why he called it kush. He said that at the time he had no knowledge of afghan kush or hindu kush, or any of that, but that one of his friends came over one day, and said that the buds looked like "kushberries" and he didn't know what "kushberries" were, but liked the name kush, and that's why he eventually named it that.

That leads me to my point posting in this thread. He COULD have called it "kushberry" and then it would have really thrown people for a loop as far as the name is concerned, because clearly OG Kush has nothing in common with a Hindu Kush plant or an Afghan Kush plant in terms of structure, so the name is kind of misleading, even though there's likely kush genetics in it, as from what I understand it's just a complex hybrid, but then people might have assumed it was some blueberry cross.

I just found it interesting that he very well could have decided to name the plant "kushberry" or "kushberries" and then who knows? Maybe when it made it's way out west it would have been called something else like OG Kushberry, or KB?

It was Alec Andersen who you are thinking of. That has been a piece of the puzzle included in this thread. Took years and years of digging and meeting people and finding verified stories and putting it all together.

The name of the bud that the kush seed came out of was named “supernaught” and was only around for a VERY short time.

Last edited:

Medfinder

Chemon 91
I first saw clones at West holly wood caregivers back in 2005..
Best og I got in clone firm was the Louis og from the Russians in sun Valley care givers in 2007 in Rockwood cubes marked with an R on them.

I've lost those over the last 10 years.

I know all star in l.a. has Topanga og.

But.. where's that ograskal..cut from 2006?

Here's an thread to get some pics of the strains and some history
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=60048

tetragrammaton

Veteran
FWIW I have never smoked THE OG Kush described by those who had it, such as B-Real and everyone else who held it tight pre 2000. I first smoked OG Kush from a Santa Cruz Dispensary in 2008. At the time, it matched up with what was being described as OG Kush all over the forums. Almost neon orange hairs, intense pinesol lemony scent, light green covered in frost. However THAT OG Kush, is nothing to what you hear B-Real and Bubba and all of them talk about BUT with that said, I smoked Humboldt Seed Organizations Dr. Greenthumb Emdog. It was exactly as they describe the "OG" OG Kush as. I haven't grown the strain myself, but it was definitely some of the strongest bud I've ever smoked, also the loudest, and has all of the scents and flavors described by those who had the original cut. I wouldn't discard pheno hunting in some of those seeds to find what you're looking for.

EDIT: Dr. Greenthumbs Emdog is supposedly OG Kush x Chem #4. With B-Reals approveal and endorsement of it, I'm lead to believe the "real" OG was used in the cross, as he is very blatant about his love of OG being his favorite strain and it's well known and established he was one of the first on the west coast to run it.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Tetra: "Anyway, they were inquiring about the seed that became what we now know as OG Kush, and the guy (I forget his name, but I'm sure some of you know who I'm talking about, the Florida guy) said that it was from an OZ of crippy which he said was just a generic term at the time for any high grade green bud, and they questioned him how close of the bud from THE PLANT (OG Kush) was to the OZ of weed he found them in, and he said it was identical."

I am gonna start labeling jars of OGK "American Crippy".

fvasquez

I lovd the Diamond OG I had, and saw an ad for it. Clicking on the link tere was this description. LOL. https://www.weedsta.com/dispensary/da-spot/reviews/tab#menu

OG stands for Ocean Grown, and it also refers to Original Gangster, though technically it refers to plants traditionally grown outdoors since salty conditions will kill cannabis. The strain became very popular and spread out form the LA-San Francisco area. It refers to a wide variety of Indica hybrids that are commercially available. It is used for medicinal purposes though it is a stimulant and my keep you awake.

Did you bold the last part because you think that's wrong? Real OG is a hybrid that does indeed have a very acute stimulant effect. It's one of the hallmarks of the strain, IMO.

fvasquez

I first saw clones at West holly wood caregivers back in 2005..
Best og I got in clone firm was the Louis og from the Russians in sun Valley care givers in 2007 in Rockwood cubes marked with an R on them.

I've lost those over the last 10 years.

I know all star in l.a. has Topanga og.

But.. where's that ograskal..cut from 2006?

Here's an thread to get some pics of the strains and some history
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=60048

Man if you can find that King Louis OG clone somewhere in SoCal let me know. I remember trying to find SVC back in the day. They were nestled somewhere in some cross streets that were running diagonal and filled with dead ends. Just gave up and went back to my regular places in Reseda.

JetLife175

Veteran
Man if you can find that King Louis OG clone somewhere in SoCal let me know. I remember trying to find SVC back in the day. They were nestled somewhere in some cross streets that were running diagonal and filled with dead ends. Just gave up and went back to my regular places in Reseda.

Get your posts up so you can pm.

I may be able to point you in the right direction for that Louie.....