What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Deer Dilemna

I have battled deer close to 40 years as a Mj grower and a nurseryman. If deer are around they will take some of your crop no matter what steps you take to stop them. Some repellants are better than others, some work for a while then seem to lose effectiveness. Personally I like to mix things up and switch around ; they get used to about anything.
You must realize that if you live in a deer area they will take some of your crop, so plant more than you expect to harvest. Use some of the preventative measures floating around on this thread, but don't expect miracles. I watched some of the huge nurserymen erect 8 foot high fences with a strand of barbed wire over that, but the deer got in ( usually someone leaves a gate open, but a good storm or crazed running deer can breach most fences ). The best hunting is often inside the fenced areas.
Lastly, I am aware of one very good product which i use on my nursery crops, but it's deadly shit, and I wouldn't consider it around anything going into human consumption. The manufacturer recommends respirators, goggles, and protective clothing when applying, it works on nursery stock for about 3 months. Unfortunately I have seen this stuff in cut and paste quotes about deer elsewhere on Mj sites, but it was lifted from a paper about deer in ornamentals and doesn't include the warnings, or that prices start around $250 per gallon.

N

North

I'd call CITE, but i dont need one.
I've personally witnessed deer eating corn from the GUTPILE of a deer I shot 2 days earlier.
whens the last time a peice of jerky attacked a deer. :crazy:

I live in a dry hot climate & in the summer they will eat ANYTHING with MOSTURE in it! :yoinks:
The only way we have foiled them is with jerky. Six foot high fences only slowed them down until they found a wire cutter!:mad:
Yes Venison Jerky, that's the ticket. Drying it around your grow increases it’s effectiveness!:2cents:

M

moses224

aside from buying a repelant ill take soap shavings and cover plant weekly during veg. Once they flower deer don't mess with them at least where i am.

hrbgrwr

I HAVE BEEN STUDYING on this all winter and i sont know.I am gonna order some coyote urine,mountain lion,wolf,and fox nad jsut spread that shit all around and pray.We have an abundance of coyotes in my area so i think this may work but wont hurt to throw in wolf and mountain lion.You can search trappers suppys and find good reputable companies that make some strong urines.
Done that.after every downpour you will need to add more.Bought mountain lion piss 15 years ago,after thought human piss should wwork better at much less the cost.I have inundated areas with red pepper ALOT of red pepper and some irish springs soap.Good luck.

buddah

Life is one big grow........
Veteran
Deers are fu.....ers...last year the eat up 10 plants of mine, just 1 week befor flowering started.......AND the BEASTERS eat up all females the males were left......i hate them

50+ntokin

I have used Milorganite for way too many years for "the plot" and my flower/vege gardens. you can find it at Home Depot, Bachmanns and I thought I saw it at Lowe's. Obviously, it can work if you are in the USA. I spread it thoughout the areas to be protected and a 15-20 ft radius.

It is a fertilizer produced from Milwaukee's finest sewage plants. No, it doesn't smell like s--- and can be handled just like regular ferts. I reapply every 2-3 weeks. The deer and even coons won't enter the plot or even test my sweet corn in the gardens. They can eat all the field corn they want 5 blocks away.

N

North

:chin:
I have used Milorganite for way too many years for "the plot" and my flower/vege gardens. you can find it at Home Depot, Bachmanns and I thought I saw it at Lowe's. Obviously, it can work if you are in the USA. I spread it thoughout the areas to be protected and a 15-20 ft radius.

It is a fertilizer produced from Milwaukee's finest sewage plants. No, it doesn't smell like s--- and can be handled just like regular ferts. I reapply every 2-3 weeks. The deer and even coons won't enter the plot or even test my sweet corn in the gardens. They can eat all the field corn they want 5 blocks away.

:chin:!!

MrMcBean

Really informative posts... Im just starting up but we got deer here.. Ive got squashed garlic all over the young'ens and i guess im going to hang some half-boiled eggs into the plants ornament style.. Later on ill get the soap going too..

Too bad there is nothing universally deer-proof.. It seems you have to adapt to your area.

After reading this thread im starting to like deer, they seem so damned cool with their habits and such. They are just retarded and too large in my area tho..

peace

scaramanga

I was thinking about Silverback's idea of spraying them with another plant that would make them distasteful to the local fauna. In my area there is a lot of what the locals call "oniongrass", it looks like a wild onion to me. I've noticed that the neither the deer nor the rabbits will eat it. And it's everywhere.

Another plant that came to mind is the poppy (papaver somniferum). I've grown a few and during the lettuce (veg) stage nothing has ever even taken a nibble. I took a bite of one just to test it(field greens I thought), and it was extremely bitter.

I thought the poppy might be particularly good as the sap which flows from within the leaves contains some latex material and would be much harder to wash off than just a water-soluble mix. Any thoughts?

The Milorganite sounds very interesting.

Latest posts

Latest posts