What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The "Dead Res" Thread

HUGE

Veteran
so would it still be ok to use hygrozyme with the bleach or would the bleach render the hygrozyme useless ?
thanks.

Hygrozyme is useless with or without bleach. Usually I use bleach to fight the algae that bloomed from using Hygrozyme. There is no living bacteria in Hygrozyme so bleach won't hurt it. But the Hygrozyme will hurt the res.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Hygrozyme shouldn't ever be put into any reservoir in my opinion, it spells death, slime, and root rot for anything attached to it. It's also a giant ripoff, use septic system powdered enzymes from Home Depot at about 1/1000th the cost (if you must use enzymes, apply directly to plant from a bucket or just water through as a top dressing.)

Put Hygrozyme out of business with their shady selves!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
BTW, Hygrozyme is more enzymes than bacteria, they would both be killed by chlorine or physan20.

Also, i've been noticing that in my reservoirs that 5ml bleach per 50 gallons isn't enough once, or even twice a day. Airstones are still getting gunked up, although the barrels are pretty darn clean. Twice a month I squirt in a few ml of Physan20 from a dropper into each barrel, let it sit and foam for 30 minutes, then dump it out and soak the airstones in bleach. I will try 10Ml of bleach 2X per day instead, I imagine the airstones are bubbling out the chlorine faster than I anticipated. Hope that helps someone!

Herborizer

Veteran
This round I kept to my same nutrient schedule, but left out the Cannazyme from my res. I only hand water the Cannazyme from time to time over the Coco. My res is crystal clear. The only place I see a tiny bit of slime is my airstone tubes. It's so minor. These res's have not been cleaned in 4 months!

Thanks for the advice Lazyman. You are a great source of information as usual.

louie

So does running a "dead res" have any negative impact on yield or quality? I am running GH flora micro and bloom 6/9 with coco and am really debating on switching to a dead res.