What's new

The Cashless society is coming - how do we prepare for it?

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Many years ago when I was still working like a dog, I had a client in pompano who was elderly and lived in a condo. She was referred to me by a friend of a friend who was a retired veterinarian from NYC. She would call me every few months or so and ask to buy a $1,000 face value bag of 90% silver coin. This is heavy and she always had me deliver it.

:yeahthats

55 lbs... yeah, those bags are surprisingly heavy for something the size of a small to medium size shoebox..
But I have a gun too.

I made a cash purchase the other day for $51.37...
I handed the clerk a hundred dollar bill, a one dollar bill and 4 dimes..
The clerk looked at me like "the hundred dollar bill is all you need to give me man"

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Silver bullets are good for vampires apparently - oh and werewolves - gold bullets? - that's got me trying to work out the cost of a regular .45 round - made of gold at current world gold prices - but I'm crap at maths - lol

As of right now it would cost $720 to cast each .45 ACP bullet..at 230 grains

that price is USD... you'll have to convert it to GBP yourself..:biggrin: But yeah, those would be some expensive bullets!

M

moose eater

My kids don’t use cash much, the other day at Home Depot most of the check out counters said credit only, so it is already starting. There is to many people that have cash at this point, people who don’t trust banks.

I believe it was last year, or perhaps the years before, that some countries in Europe, to include Germany, were requiring any transactions over $1,000, to be done with either a cash card, credit card, or live and in person at the bank.

The folks charged with 'protecting us' seem more involved with tracking and monitoring us.

armedoldhippy

Veteran

that price is USD... you'll have to convert it to GBP yourself..:biggrin: But yeah, those would be some expensive bullets!

if you already had the gold, and were hungry, and knew you could probably recover the bullet & re-cast it after you killed the deer, cost would be negligible. :)

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
if you already had the gold, and were hungry, and knew you could probably recover the bullet & re-cast it after you killed the deer, cost would be negligible. :)

I guess it depends on just how hungry you are!:moon:

I don't usually miss, but I'd sure feel pretty bad if I lost a $720 bullet... and still didn't get the deer

(by the way, I've got enough silver and wouldn't mind so much if I lost an $8 bullet

Lrus007

Veteran
Silver bullets are good for vampires apparently - oh and werewolves - gold bullets? - that's got me trying to work out the cost of a regular .45 round - made of gold at current world gold prices - but I'm crap at maths - lol

little under a oz. of gold for a 45 acp bullet.
so well over a grand per shot.
lazer cast bullets have some silver in them.

RB56

Veteran
Spoken like a marksman. Gotta respect being confident you can collect your slugs. That's the way gun owners thought when I was a kid. There'd be many few gun problems if they most still did.

Lrus007

Veteran

i posted before i read your post.
a cast gold bullet would weigh more than a gold
cast bullet using same mold. then pure gold is so
soft it would not make a good bullet. it would work
in a cap and ball gun with a patch. a pure silver bullet
is also to soft for modern arms. also is lighter than lead.
so does not work as well as lead.

long live cash !!

RB56

Veteran
:yeahthats

55 lbs... yeah, those bags are surprisingly heavy for something the size of a small to medium size shoebox..
But I have a gun too.

I made a cash purchase the other day for $51.37...
I handed the clerk a hundred dollar bill, a one dollar bill and 4 dimes..
The clerk looked at me like "the hundred dollar bill is all you need to give me man"

I'm sure you noticed when people stopped counting change starting with the purchase amount and ending with the amount tendered and started COUNTING THE CHANGE. Fuck me. That's a lost skill that contributes to everyone's stupidity.

RB56

Veteran
I'll bet half the people in the US go for weeks without touching cash. I'd go years if I didn't carry it for tips. Different when I travel outside of the US.

Money is disgusting. I drove a cab in the late 70s and my hands would be black at the end of each shift from handling money all night. I believe cash attracts more surveillance attention than electronic payments so I'm aggressively on the grid, hiding in plain sight (as it were :D).

M

moose eater

I'll bet half the people in the US go for weeks without touching cash. I'd go years if I didn't carry it for tips. Different when I travel outside of the US.

Money is disgusting. I drove a cab in the late 70s and my hands would be black at the end of each shift from handling money all night. I believe cash attracts more surveillance attention than electronic payments so I'm aggressively on the grid, hiding in plain sight (as it were :D).

I still tend to look at the neat tell-tale folds in the corners of bills, note the denominations, and wonder if coke heads are getting poorer, using 1s and 5s instead of 50s and 100s, or were they doing Molly? Or meth? Or??

At the bottom line, (no pun intended), at the bare minimum, those bills have all been in someone's nose that we likely don't know that well, and then in their hands. How often do they wash their hands?

That all said, I still prefer cash, as it precludes Big Bro from keeping track in real time of any or all of my purchases. And that's sometimes nothing more than an issue of proper boundaries.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
If the use of cash ever becomes illegal, it is not because our government wants to protect us, but rather because they want to monitor and control us.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Cash is legal tender and MUST be accepted by any vendor, if they say card only hold them to this and demand they accept cash, if it comes down to it then drop the cash on the counter and walk out with the product leaving them to deal with it.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Cash is legal tender and MUST be accepted by any vendor, if they say card only hold them to this and demand they accept cash, if it comes down to it then drop the cash on the counter and walk out with the product leaving them to deal with it.

Unfortunately that is not entirely correct, in Australia or in the U.S.

But when it has happened to me, on several occasions I have just taken my business elsewhere...

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 21

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Well if you look in Australia's constitution it says only gold and silver coins are legal, just try paying for stuff with that.:biggrin:

White Beard

Since I’m not allowed to have banking, this is both a big deal and not.

Personally I lump the cashless society with jet packs and intelligent kitchens and universal intelligence...you can’t just *turn* a train around

M

moose eater

I think that's where incrementalism comes in WB. Such as what's alleged to be the newer standard or limitations re. cash purchases in Germany.

I do find it a little bit ironic that the folks responsible for helping to stave off a living wage from becoming a reality in the U.S. <cough, cough, Reagan-types and the trickle-down crowd>, which in turn leads toward more participation in Black Markets as a way of making ends meet when wages are too low, then turn out to often be the most fervent about criminalizing Black Markets.

(*Not specifically a commentary re. Germany, by the way, but more so the US in [particular, where Reagan helped to establish various sorts of reporting laws re. cash exchanges/purchases.).

brickweeder

If the use of cash ever becomes illegal, it is not because our government wants to protect us, but rather because they want to monitor and control us.

monitoring and controlling are part of the means to an end, and that end is to harvest its slaves to the fullest extent possible via taxation.

Ha! just kidding, it's because they want to protect their valued citizens.