What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related

Green Squall

Pandora in the Congo by Albert Sanchez Pinol

pandorainthecongo_lrg.jpg

Any recipes ?

I wonder what they would do if they had a tooth problem and couldn't smoke.

Drink Bhang I guess ? Guess they didn't have Gummi Bears back then.
I'm on volume 1 of 10, pretty sure there is a section on preparation and usage somewhere in there, this first volume is mostly data on the different types of growth (wild, commercial, personal), the differences in types of growth between different regions, whether the production is focused on fiber, seed, ganja, charas, or bhang, and the way the local governments treat growth.

For a long time I thought bhang was only consumed as a tea, turns out the original meaning of bhang was unprocessed leaf / flower material that was allowed to stick together in a bundle and dry naturally, consumed in a variety of ways. I find this interesting, and i'm wondering if the tradition of stick style curing in Thailand traces its origins to the process of growing cannabis for bhang.

Green Squall

Island of the Lost: Shipwrecked at the Edge of the World

Auckland Island is a godforsaken place in the middle of the Southern Ocean, 285 miles south of New Zealand. With year-round freezing rain and howling winds, it is one of the most forbidding places in the world. To be shipwrecked there means almost certain death.

In 1864 Captain Thomas Musgrave and his crew of four aboard the schooner Grafton wreck on the southern end of the island. Utterly alone in a dense coastal forest, plagued by stinging blowflies and relentless rain, Captain Musgrave—rather than succumb to this dismal fate—inspires his men to take action. With barely more than their bare hands, they build a cabin and, remarkably, a forge, where they manufacture their tools. Under Musgrave's leadership, they band together and remain civilized through even the darkest and most terrifying days.

Incredibly, at the same time on the opposite end of the island—twenty miles of impassable cliffs and chasms away—the Invercauld wrecks during a horrible storm. Nineteen men stagger ashore. Unlike Captain Musgrave, the captain of the Invercauld falls apart given the same dismal circumstances. His men fight and split up; some die of starvation, others turn to cannibalism. Only three survive. Musgrave and all of his men not only endure for nearly two years, they also plan their own astonishing escape, setting off on one of the most courageous sea voyages in history.

Using the survivors' journals and historical records, award-winning maritime historian Joan Druett brings this extraordinary untold story to life, a story about leadership and the fine line between order and chaos.

shithawk420

Veteran
That's incredible Squall.theyre novels but check out Clive Cussler books if you haven't already.hes the founder and chairman of NUMA so his books are based on a lot of his experiences and actuall history with some embellishment for entertainment purposes

Green Squall

That's incredible Squall.theyre novels but check out Clive Cussler books if you haven't already.hes the founder and chairman of NUMA so his books are based on a lot of his experiences and actuall history with some embellishment for entertainment purposes

Ya I like true story adventure and survival stuff, especially nautical.
Pretty sure my dad reads Cusslers stuff, so maybe I'll check it out.

kaochiu

Veteran
The book is called "Adventures in the Unknown Interior of America" I copy paste this from wikipedia:

La Relación, of Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca, is the account of his experiences with the Narvaez expedition and after being wrecked on Galveston Island in November 1528. Cabeza de Vaca and his last three men struggled to survive.[13] They wandered along the Texas coast as prisoners of the Han and Capoque American Indians for two years, while Cabeza de Vaca observed the people, picking up their ways of life and customs.[14] They traveled through the American Southwest and ultimately reached Mexico City, nearly eight years after being wrecked on the island.

In 1537, Cabeza de Vaca returned to Spain, where he wrote his narratives of the Narvaez expedition. These narratives were collected and published in 1542 in Spain. They are now known as The Relation of Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca. The narrative of Cabeza de Vaca is the “first European book devoted completely to North America.”[15] His detailed account describes the lives of numerous tribes of American Indians of the time. Cabeza de Vaca showed compassion and respect for native peoples, which, together with the great detail he recorded, distinguishes his narrative from others of the period.

Green Squall

Thanks for the suggestion! "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Adventures in the Unknown Interior of America" is only $0.99 on Kindle.
[/FONT]

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
Ya I like true story adventure and survival stuff, especially nautical.
Pretty sure my dad reads Cusslers stuff, so maybe I'll check it out.

i like those type books too
i recently found this old book called "the raft" by robert trumbull that was an amazing story of survival and spirit
/man those old timers were made of soemthing else
adrift by steve callahan was good too

Rehho

I love to read, now I finish reading the Labyrinth of ghosts. This is the last book in the series by Safon Carlos Ruiz. I love it. I bought an e-book and my friend advises me to sell it. I found in the article information that Amazon provides the service of selling e-books. Part of the money for the sale of this book is mine, and part of the publishing house. Has anyone heard of this? I know that before the resale of the e-book was illegal, it violated the license agreement. I don't plan to re-read these books in the near future and would be happy to give me back some of the money spent on their purchase.

ion

the first book i should have read in 1st grade, same as you.

how to read a book

Mortimer Adler.

dont be fooled, beyond priceless

roseupshur

Chuck Palahniuk is very cool writer. He once said: you shouldn't like the book, it should cause emotions. Fight Club and Beautiful You - all his books that I read. He has a specific style, but this is his trick. I am reading Twilight now, by Stephenie Meyer. Then my plans are Veronica Roth, Divergent. Favorite books by Susan Collins, The Hunger Games and, of course, JK Rowling, Harry Potter. This has become a classic. There are a lot of books in my arsenal that I crave to read.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How to Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan.

Tldr: he started taking psychedelics and wrote a book about it.

Do It Yourself
A step by step guide to fixing, building, and installing almost anything in your home(CAD edition)

Julian Cassell. Peter Parham. Jon Eakes

hellfire

Catch 22

Great book, hilarious and sad. Well written and intriguing, beckoning writing that might have you read it fast.

'There was only one catch and that was Catch - 22, which specified that a concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions.'

Bump book thread 2020 ;)