What's new

The Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related

Somke_Somke

I really like The Razor's Edge by Somerset Maugham and The Call of The Wild by Jack London. Also, 1984, which should be required reading in High School.

bentom187

Veteran
ZEN the power within ,by chuck norris,yeah i thought how good of an auther could he be ?i bet youll be suprised.

H

Hal

51ECDz9YV2L._SS500_.jpg

This book is excellent!

tango420

Terence Mckenna's true hallucinations was a great read. About these smart ass hippie guys and girl who travel to Columbia in the early 70's, in search of medicinal and psychoactive compounds used by native shaman' . It gets complex in nature but TM does a great job writing to the lay person. great if your into mushrooms/mycology as well

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
The pillars of the earth by Ken follet. Shantaram is a new one I'm reading. Fucking unbeleivable book

StoneByName

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by H.S. Thompson is a good read, I really like his style of writing, many funny moments, plethora of drugs consumed

Electric Kool Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe, good book about the merry pranksters, LSD, Ken Kesey and friends

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey, challenges ideas of mental illness, McMurphy, the lead character is a charismatic and interesting guy which drives the book forward

On the Road by Jack Kerouac, a bit of an odd writing style, can be hard to pick up but worth it for the content, story of jazz, beatniks and road trips, full of characters.

The Godfather by Mario Puzo

K

kiree

The Physicists by Friedrich Dürrenmatt.....a great review of todays society, about how notthing is as il looks like, everything is fake, everybody is a liar and you cant trust nobody...everything in a story of a group of "physicists" in a mental sanatory....​

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein because Thou art God, you grok?

Make sure it is the unabridged version

dyno

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein because Thou art God, you grok?

The best of Heinlein, also recommend Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks which is actually his first scifi novel. Also check out The chronicles of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever by Stephen Donaldson and The Wheel of Time series of books by Robert Jordan.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Autobiography of a Yogi - Paramahansa Yogananda

The first book on achieving enlightenment that I read 40+ years ago. Good read.

CC

buckeye-leaf

cannabis enthusiast
Veteran
im sure most of you fellas have read robinson crusoe really great book, i taught myself how to read when i was 4 or 5 by looking at baseball cards and robinson crusoe

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Think and Grow Rich, By Napolian Hill.

Anything By Ayn Rand.
Anything By George Orwell.

Peace, :joint:

Kaneh

If you're into scifi/fantasy, check "Hyperion" by Dan Simmons. It has 3 Volumes more, but it ends there, and what an ending it is!
Must be the only book I have read with an ending that is suprising, logical and after it you don't have to quess how the story ends. (I fucking hate that! It's the writers job to finnish the story, right?)

As good as Lord of the rings IMHO. Has lot's of accurate scientific info. The background work that was put in these books is amazing. Creating a worlds out of a scratch ain't easy!

Herbasaurus

ICMag Donor
"Smokescreen" and "Snowblind" - Both by Robert Sabbag. Story of the early Marijauna and Coke trade.

"Killing Pablo" by Mark Bowden - the hunt for Pablo Escobar.

"Corrido De Cocaine: Inside Stories of Hard Drugs, Big Money and Short Lives " by Arturo Carrillo Strong . "Here, for once, you'll hear the accounts of the people in the life--not talking to their parole officers, but just talking. " Strong has interviewed people throughout the Tucson area, mostly Mexican-Americans, and all involved in the drug trade in some way, and has put their oral accounts together with brief introductions and afterwords. All the speakers give fresh insight into the effect of drugs on individuals and on society. An owner of a limousine rental company tells why drug dealers are his best customers; a local kingpin describes his week-long torture by suppliers, then tells how he later embraced one of the torturers, who had only been doing his job. A remarkable book, recommended for all crime and sociology collections.

Megas

The long walk. By Richard Bachman aka Stephen King.
Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli.
Enders Game by Orson Scott Card

Latest posts

Latest posts