What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Bio-Osmo-Coco Hempy Experiment

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Having had success with Coco/Perlite Hempy buckets, i pondered on making a water/calmag only Hempy. 1 cup of Espoma Bio-tone 4-3-3 was mixed into a 3.5 gallon bucket and 2 capfuls of Osmocote 15-9-12 were scratched into the surface. Amnesia Lemon from Barney's is the test subject. The plant was watered in with CalMag at 1ml per liter at ph of 5.8. All it has been given since is alternating water and the same rate of CalMag. So far so good she is in Flower now finishing stretch.

image.jpeg

mexweed

Veteran
That's not actual hempy though, that's growing in coco with a drain hole instead of a typical plant container

In hempy the medium above the reservoir is inert and does not hold enough water to allow for a slow release fertilizer to break down

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Cool. Thanks @mexweed . I just call them Hempy's to describe a generic plastic bucket (or any sealed container) with a base of clay aggregate or perlite up to a hole or holes on the side about 5cm/2" from the base.

I run them with Coco/perlite, soilless mixes, potting soil, Rockwool/Perlite, even Super Soil. It keeps the medium above a soaking point, but allows for drink back from the amount retained in the more porous region below. Occasionally I put an airstone in the base and add more air to the roots.

Tomatoesonly

That's some pretty amazing growth for as little as you put in there.
There's a big thread in the Nutrient part about osmocote.
Did the plants start out in this mixture or ?
I find your experiment fascinating.

Tomatoesonly

If you believe your leaves, the tips indicate too much fertilizer. Is that from something previous, or is it a buildup? I have the same problem if not worse. My leaves eventually burn the tips at the very minimum... some much worse. It's almost catch 22, the leaf tip says too much, while other indicators say not enough.

StickyBandit

If you believe your leaves, the tips indicate too much fertilizer. Is that from something previous, or is it a buildup? I have the same problem if not worse. My leaves eventually burn the tips at the very minimum... some much worse. It's almost catch 22, the leaf tip says too much, while other indicators say not enough.
I get exactly that with some Sativa plants! The lower shade leaves pale while the tips burn!

early_hominid

Great experiment @FletchF.Fletch , I've been wanting to try coco and oscmocote combined to keep mother plants without additional water brewing.

Have you measured runoff EC to get a feel for how many nutrients are available? That may tell you if it is underwatering or not. When I underwater my coco I get burn tips even at 1.0 EC, just like you say.

Edit: And if you were doing only osmocote would you mix all of it it evenly in the media or is some on the surface beneficial?

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Thanks @early_hominid , I confess, I have not measured runoff EC. Mostly since things haven't been too bad. My gut tells me to use less Osmocote next time, probably 25% less.

I think with Osmocote it is best topdressed or mixed into the top 2 inches of medium. That way the water passing through it carries a relatively even dose downward to the rootzone each time.

Latest posts

Latest posts