What's new

The best mini-split ductless heat pump/ac models list

Asslover

Veteran
In a 10x10 room I would move up to 12k btu. Orbital fans mounted up high on all four corners would excellent even temps.
I've used 9k btu mini's in 10x5 rooms (with 2k uncooled hoods) and temps held perfectly, and the unit would even shut off on occasion.
I'm just throwing out real world examples so that you know it's feasible.
My wife picked out the name...:biggrin:

Asslover

Veteran
Nevermind, I took a better look at your thread. I thought the whole flower room was 10 x 10. Yeah, a 9k btu would ideal.

the gnome

Veteran
In the mini split world you get what you pay for. Buy the best brand you can afford. My Mitsu's have been running 24/7/365 for 4 years now. Never so much as a hiccup.

All i can tell you is how we do it in Florida, where it's hot as hell.

sage advice AL, that's why i went with a mitsu.
I could have gotten another brand waaay cheaper.
I'm in the sunshine state too
the last thing i need is for my mini to take a dump in august

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
post got buried at the bottom of last page so bumpin it up.

anybody have thoughts on what route they would go for 110k Btu's of cooling. it is split between two rooms, the first larger room will run approx 16-20kw and need 72k btu of cooling. the second room will run 8-10 lights and need 36k btu's.

anyways, my initial thought was to go with three 36k btu mini split units. each 36k condenser has two 18k evaps. the 20kw room would run two 36k units and 4 evaps, while the 10kw room would run one 36k and 2 evaps.

feel free to rip apart my idea and tell me why im wrong. also fwiw, the AC will have access to their own 100amp 3phase power supply, but i am really trying to keep the load under 50amps. the rooms will be run on flip flop as well. most of you guys seem to be saying that its OK to run the condenser 24/7? im on another canna forum with some seriously experianced guys and they try to only run the condenser during lights on for 12hours.

Other option would be to run a 7ton multi zone central unit that breaks down into multiple evaps in each room, but than i would imagine the condenser is running 24/7 full load. So i am imaging its better to keep both rooms seperate.

Eager to hear your thoughts!

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This thread would make an excellent sticky!!!!

Ventilation 101 thread (sticky) is fine but a bit of a hard read for layman who just need to get straight to the meat.

sodalitas

Stonefree69: (And all who've posted in this thread)
Thank you for taking the time to set this knowledge free...
I'm in Denver CO, and in the past 365 days I've seen 105f and -20f.
I'm growing in one 2 car garage.
9Kw's.
3 tons?
Also, I assume I NEED the heat also?
Mitsu? Samsung?
(I'm steering away from LG's in reading through this thread.)
(I am on a SEVERE budget though.)
For 3 tons with heat, and the ability to run in super low outside ambient temps, am I looking at the $3200-$3500 ballpark?

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
Stonefree69: (And all who've posted in this thread)
Thank you for taking the time to set this knowledge free...
I'm in Denver CO, and in the past 365 days I've seen 105f and -20f.
I'm growing in one 2 car garage.
9Kw's.
3 tons?
Also, I assume I NEED the heat also?
Mitsu? Samsung?
(I'm steering away from LG's in reading through this thread.)
(I am on a SEVERE budget though.)
For 3 tons with heat, and the ability to run in super low outside ambient temps, am I looking at the $3200-$3500 ballpark?
For 9 kw lighting 3 tons or 36,000 BTUs is about 4,000 BTUs/kw so yes 3 tons would be the minimum size. Yeah that's cold so you want it to run in low temps with minimal problems. A 4 ton or 48,000 BTU unit would give you 48,000 BTUs and a decent 5,333 BTUs/kw. To hit 5,000 BTUs/kw I'd be looking for units around that 45,000 BTU range (3.75 ton ballpark).

Another trick also business in town use here a lot is to run a swamper on the outside coils that get hot. Works like a charm on those multi-big size roof units and here in the desert the roofs get to 130 degrees plus. Their electric bills are cut by at least 1/2 or even 2/3.

civiccrazy

Help with mini split for addition...

Help with mini split for addition...

Hopefully someone could possibly help me with this. I am adding an addition on to my house. I live in Southeastern Indiana, I am adding a 14'X14' bedroom with 2 3'x5' windows one facing west one facing south and a 10'X6' bathroom no windows both with 8' walls. If possible could someone help me choose a mini split that would work best? I am wanting a wall mount, heat pump and air. What brand would be best?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

LaylaTexas

I was wondering if there were some more current reviews on mini split ductless units. My hvac guy told me about a Pioneer brand, but I can't find any information other than the reviews on Amazon. I have a hunting cabin, only 700 sq. ft that I would like to install one of these types of units (with heat) and since it is in the middle of no-where I need a reliable brand. Thanks

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
Hopefully someone could possibly help me with this. I am adding an addition on to my house. I live in Southeastern Indiana, I am adding a 14'X14' bedroom with 2 3'x5' windows one facing west one facing south and a 10'X6' bathroom no windows both with 8' walls. If possible could someone help me choose a mini split that would work best? I am wanting a wall mount, heat pump and air. What brand would be best?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Those windows facing west could heat the place alot in summer - but insulating curtains would help out alot. 196 sq ft depending on lighting try to go with 8,500-9,000 BTU units. There are a lot of good brands - I still like the Japanese models, they also 1st started making them. Nowadays you could save some money and also get other brands.

I was wondering if there were some more current reviews on mini split ductless units. My hvac guy told me about a Pioneer brand, but I can't find any information other than the reviews on Amazon. I have a hunting cabin, only 700 sq. ft that I would like to install one of these types of units (with heat) and since it is in the middle of no-where I need a reliable brand. Thanks
Pioneer is a good brand in hi-fi, pretty high end stuff but never heard of their new mini-splits. If reliability is a priority try to go with the Japanese brands - though many other brands are good too. Panasonic also makes hi-fi stuff and real good deals on mini-splits (took over Sanyo brand). Fujitsu Halcyon was my pick - high efficiency and reliability. The Fujitsu is 25 SEER for 12,000 BTU whereas the Pioneer is only 13 SEER but at less than half the price.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi StoneFree69,

I'm about ready to pull the pin on a 12K-16K minisplit. If you check my build thread you will see where I'm at. I'm planning on running 2 epaps up to 1150Kw each or 2.3Kw of FR lights and then veg lights CFL of some type and wattage which I don't think need be factored in on sizing. I know I may change grow styles, etc.. over the years so I need to size appropriately for the future as well. However given my max grow room dimensions I will never have more than about 43-45 square feet to shoe horn lights into... So given that I doubt I could run 4K lights but 3K or so is definitely possible. That puts me around 11K to 15K max using 5000BTU/1000Kw rule.

I'm thinking that I should be pretty good at the 12K mark and I want to go with a good quality unit. So far the Mitsubishi Mr. Slim MUZ-FE12NA-1 12,000BTU AC/Heat pump is the leader.

Any other makes or models I should consider?

I'm sealed CEA. Location is in the midwest so 4 seasons. Room is insulated very well and my air exchange between the grow room and the lung room will be very good 2x min.

Asslover

Veteran
That is a bad ass unit. If you need that much low ambient heating then go for it. The other one heats to -5.
I'm in Florida so it's the low ambient cooling that i look for. Some models won't cool below 50 degree outside temps. Both hose Mitsu's cool down to 14 degree outside temps.
If you don't need such low temp heating then I say save the extra $200 and get the first one you were looking at.
I've installed 9 Mitsubishi's in the last 5 years and every one of them has been running 24/7/365 within a single hiccup.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Asslover,

for a 15' line set run on the mitsu MUZ-FE12NA1 H2i do you know if I need to remove refrigerant... ? I've been searching before I order but cant find anywhere whether the charge delivered in the MUZ-FE12NA1 needs to be reduced or not.. on some other brands I've seen they deliver 25' and then you have to reclaim the 10' difference (in ounces) to be properly charged. But I thought maybe this is not the case now for a Mitsu unit.

Would simplify the installation if the delivered charge was good at 15' run.

Asslover

Veteran
Mitsubishi doesn't call for any too be removed, only to add for over 25'. From my experience, 15' is fine.
HOWEVER, LG (for example) calls for removing r410 for less than 25'. Go figure.
Here's a link for Mitsubishi where you can find thorough specs and diagnostic procedures. Real interesting stuff.
http://usa.mylinkdrive.com/categories/show/3.html

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks AL, I did look at a document off that site but never entered at the top so did not realize the amount of info on it. thru your link I found the correct install manual and I'm good on a 15' run for sure with what their install manual says. That is a big simplification, provided the lines are properly sealed and tested.

I did see where some other brands require the delta from 25' and your line run to be adjusted. up or down from 25'.

I'll have to keep studying this manual for a bit. thanks much for the link.

the gnome

Veteran
my 3ton mr slim was charged for 25ft.
the specs in the users manual gave specific amounts of freon in weight for every 3 or 5ft of line added or subtracted i think

RamCTD1027

Any more info on the Gree mini splits? I know that Mitsu is the top of the line followed by a few others but at this time, budget doesn't allow for those units. I need about 6tons of cooling so I was thinking of running 2 36k btu Gree units. Eventually, I would like to upgrade the units when budget allows.

Any thoughts?

Asslover

Veteran
my 3ton mr slim was charged for 25ft.
the specs in the users manual gave specific amounts of freon in weight for every 3 or 5ft of line added or subtracted i think

My 14k btu Mr.Slims' manual gave amounts of freon to be added for X amount over 25 but no mention of subtracting for less than 25'.
Maybe the size difference? :dunno: