What's new

THE best fan???

Y

yamaha_1fan

Theres lots of good fans out there. I personally have 3 Vortexes. Some people say they are loud, some say they are quiet. Personally I think they are quiet but I have alot going on and the fans are a small noise compared to A/C etc.

I think you will get alot of opinions here.

What is BEST for you? noise? qty of airflow? size? mounting?

The Dank

I like Vortex too. The fan itself isn't loud, it is the rushing air being pulled in and out that is loud. You have to figure out how to quiet that. If I was cooling 3 600's I would probably use 1 4" Vortex to just air cool the lights, and one 6" to cool the room. If you temps are really bad or you might be dealing with hot intake air possibly go with the 8", but the 6" should do ya.

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
Vortex is a local company. They are great.

But if you're looking for an inline conduct fan, then Elicent is the answer.

They weight less, move more air, making less noise. Just of a bit, but they cost the same, so why spend more money?

It's because Elicent has just recently renewd their line, using better magnetic motors and better materials.

And one more thing: if money isn't an issue, you have to build bigger conducts, not bigger fans.

Last edited:
G

i second the elicent. Think about getting a nice big fan and turning down the speed a lot. That way yo'll get the air movement of a smaller fan at a lower rpm due to the bigger diameter blades. Take my advice with a grain of salt, as i haven't used big fans before and am only writing from what I have read of others' experiences

I've always used Vortex fans and had great success ( I have a 6" that just hit the 7 year mark of constant running, minus 2 minutes a year to change the filter :rasta: ) However, a friend of mine runs a couple Elicent fans and they are as nice or dare I say, a little nicer than (wince :wave: ) Vortex.

gride

ostberg 6" is too noisy

ostberg 6" is too noisy

i got an ostberg 6" centrifuge hooked up an hour ago
and i cant wait till tomorrow to go look at the
elicents and vortecs
it moves 600 + cfm but its just tooooo noisy
these elicent technopolymer thing look pretty cool
elicent technopolymer fans
axctp.jpg

they sound expensive though

anyways, i don't recommend the ostberg unless you like noise

Last edited:
I

icon

it is a bit loud on high though but powerfull enough for me on low just a thought

so far all the fans i have seen are loud my buddy has an 8 inch can fan that he doesnt even use its so loud and i have a 6 inch sunleaves and it is fairly loud and it is suppost to be quite

H

hedpi

well berry, you get a dimmer switch on the big fans, put them at 50% and they become just a little bit of air noise ;)

well maybe on some fans but we put a dimmer switch on a can fan 8 inch and the fan was still so really loud but it was the high ouput 8 inch can fan so maybe there are some better fans but i dont really know how it can be quiet with moving that much air causes its mostly air noise

IGrowWithLEDs

I did a lot of reading when I was buying my fan, in the end the best bang for the buck was a vortex fan and I've never had any problems with the 2 I own, and talk about moving lots of air and still being quiet, you can't go wrong with a vortex.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i'd say the best fans out there are the green bay packers fans.
the season ticket holders are actually part owners of the team.
it is a semi public enterprise.

2buds

8" inline(can-fan I think was the brand) for $45 + $15 shipping from an unclaimed freight warehouse, that's the one I went with. Running strong for 2 years 24/7 unless the power went out. You gotta add some insulated ducting on the intake/exhaust to quiet them down.

Latest posts

Latest posts