What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Bagseed Heretic

The Bagseed Heretic

• huh?

Votes: 23 67.6%
  • what?

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters

Boob McNoob

Waiting on Sunrise to upgrade to 5 gal; judging on the last specimen to undergo this transition I can anticipate this will be fully ready to move into flower on the 20th.
20240401_012608.jpg

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Hey Herectic McNoob

Problem is when it happens:

View media item 18717125
View media item 18717124
Both bag seeds from brick South American weed.
It's a full hermie. Pistils came along with nanners.
Since it already happened before, took a lot of care with stressing, giving the plants the best, but its genetics.
Every single node has both genders.
Have a couple of hundreds of these seeds, planning a soul search on it way ahead. Its a very strong and tasteful indica hybrid.

Boob McNoob

Hey Herectic McNoob

Problem is when it happens:

View media item 18717125
View media item 18717124
Both bag seeds from brick South American weed.
It's a full hermie. Pistils came along with nanners.
Since it already happened before, took a lot of care with stressing, giving the plants the best, but its genetics.
Every single node has both genders.
Have a couple of hundreds of these seeds, planning a soul search on it way ahead. Its a very strong and tasteful indica hybrid.
20240402_225915.jpg

My continual frustration over males and hermies popping up motivated my current approach; revegging a female gave me the hope that all clones from her would evidence as female - fortunately, that hope has borne true. So far, all the successive generations culled from her have followed the same pattern. I'm now somewhere around the sixth or seventh incarnation of this experiment and have yet to suffer the disappointment of 'nanner fever.
20240402_225832.jpg

I'm targeting the next to hit the stage in here to fill the entire room all on its own; when the elder gal comes down in a few more weeks, the youngster will fly solo - giving the next contestant another month beyond that to build a sufficient base to handle the weight of my expectations.
20240401_093917.jpg
20240401_093906.jpg

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Well done! Not easy to find a good mother growing untrained plants.

The mother was also a hermie but at that time I thought it was my fault, had this couple of clones so decided to keep it. Took a lot of care avoiding plant stress and 10 days after flipping, same pattern again. Pure genetics. This pheno will be discontinued. The cartel who supplied this weed is under siege, there's no more of this brick on the streets, at least for a while. I'm very happy to have a punch of healthy seeds to keep investigating it.

Last seed from a brick - Jan/2024
View media item 18717126

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Problem..there has been so many good plants over the years from bagseed, cup winners but most of them where are they now. I speak from first hand experience I mean I had so many winners from bag seed but they would often go downhill so quickly. But then again a lot of stuff would follow that pattern, now in hindsight I see that viroid among the other factors that can make a plant herm, can make a plant herm. I've even had that one plant out tens of thousands of cuts just spontaneously turn into a boy, with obvious high viroid load, or had a few times a branch turn male, or full herm where rest of plant and ten thousand cuts of same perfectly fine. But seen the pattern with known stuff that I knew well that as load would build so the male flowers would come, in certain plants.

So now I look at those bagseeds from days past in a new light, though realize for many years most of the seeds traded anyway had viroid on the outside, the % of infected embryos were probably higher in the bagseed, as well selecting for herm traits, could it just be selecting for higher viroid load too which was helping to induce herms. And of course with the protocols i followed for years, i now accept most the seeds would have been infected from the germination whether the embryo was or not due to seed husk not being bleached before planting. Then also I look at how we'd phenohunt ,or reveg plants and with higher load being naturally in that growth closer to roots, be selecting for higher load plants to clone out as moms for the next generations, and I wonder now how we managed to get any production of dank LOL..though luckily my main production was off a tolerant cut so it was masked to me..But yeah what a trip the last 3 years of growing has been with what we've found out..all sorts of shit from days past anomolies, make sense now...fuckin viroid..I wont even put a seed in the ground these days. If I would i would keep it far away from my plants until I'd tested it. I'd bleach the fuck out of it and use new pots and soil and and for it, and test it before bringing near my grow, and retest it again before actually bringing it near the grow..This shits real.

anyway..

Last edited:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Boob, get chitosan oligosaccharide and spray your plants only on one section at 1/4 dose through the flowering weekly or every 5 days..and if theres a huge difference between the sprayed area and unsprayed in terms of frost, density of glands, terps, colour size of buds amount of pistils etc.. and also fungal diseases, then that chlorosis and the leaves' leaflets folding under themselves on the darker plant behind the chlorotic plant, then you probably fighting viral issues unbeknown to you and wondering whats up..

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
My one mate I been trying to wake him up and he been like virus fuck I got no virus (its not a virus) till he was sending me pics in mid flower going bro WTF is going on here, promptly got himself chitosan (COS) sprayed every 5 days low dose till harvest and had his best crop ever..LOL he's always had it, unbeknown to him. Best terps and lowest mold and most frost of the same clone he been running for years..Its always had it. LOL..hindsight is 20/20. I think every bagseed I popped in the last 15 years has had it and a large % of those I purchased too. LOL Fuck it such is life. We deal with it.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Also get on ur ipm for the spidermites..they not going to help you..sorry to be critical. Beneficial mites will F them up, also there are sprays one can use in flower, metarhyzium and others, strain ICIPE 78 and a very light carrier oil sticker like orange oil at lightest dose oil, works well to halt them in their tracks, just do weekly follow up sprays for 4 weeks to ensure residual eggs hatching are taken care of too..with beneficial mites, they take care of hatching eggs themselves. Persimillus mites work exceptionally well for them. Look at your weeds outside and get rid of or treat the plants where they are coming from.

Boob McNoob

Quite a lot to absorb; thanks for the heads up. The marked difference of the large plant in the foreground and the darker specimen in the rear is veg time; also there was a fresh batch of soil mixed for the gal in the back. As a proof of my suspicion, I'm going to repot the paler gal into the new mix of soil in the morning along with a generous sprinkle of EWC and crushed eggshell mixed with crushed crab shell. This can also affirm my claim in another thread that even later stage efforts can benefit from this cruel manipulation.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Quite a lot to absorb; thanks for the heads up. The marked difference of the large plant in the foreground and the darker specimen in the rear is veg time; also there was a fresh batch of soil mixed for the gal in the back. As a proof of my suspicion, I'm going to repot the paler gal into the new mix of soil in the morning along with a generous sprinkle of EWC and crushed eggshell mixed with crushed crab shell. This can also affirm my claim in another thread that even later stage efforts can benefit from this cruel manipulation.
Yeah seeing more symptom in older reused soil is sign of higher viral load. That mate I mentioned, his badly affected plant was the one in the old soil reused for a few years and refreshed with amendments every year, load in the soil builds and builds each year, no crop rotation. His unaffected plants in the new soil and new pots, but the cut he runs is tolerant to the viroid. My potato farmer mates plant potato in a circle one year, then oats dry the next, then alfalfa for cattle next year then leave fallow for a year, then 5 years after having potato in that field they will plant it again with potato. All for potato viroid.

But yeah that plant behind showing clear signs too, the darker healthier one. You can see the way the leaflets fold under each other on some leaves, but not on other leaves. That shows the trait is not a genetic trait, some plants do that naturally, but when I see it on some leaves strongly and others not, then almost all the time its viroid. If you are getting lateral branching too, and ever having trouble rooting cuts some rounds, all points to that issue...

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Yeah seeing more symptom in older reused soil is sign of higher viral load. That mate I mentioned, his badly affected plant was the one in the old soil reused for a few years and refreshed with amendments every year, load in the soil builds and builds each year, no crop rotation. His unaffected plants in the new soil and new pots, but the cut he runs is tolerant to the viroid. My potato farmer mates plant potato in a circle one year, then oats dry the next, then alfalfa for cattle next year then leave fallow for a year, then 5 years after having potato in that field they will plant it again with potato. All for potato viroid.

But yeah that plant behind showing clear signs too, the darker healthier one. You can see the way the leaflets fold under each other on some leaves, but not on other leaves. That shows the trait is not a genetic trait, some plants do that naturally, but when I see it on some leaves strongly and others not, then almost all the time its viroid. If you are getting lateral branching too, and ever having trouble rooting cuts some rounds, all points to that issue...
Never heard it before. Then

"Viroids are the smallest known agents of infectious disease [1]. The first viroid to be identified and characterized was Potato spindle tuber viroid (PSTVd). Potato spindle tuber disease was described in the early 1920s in Irish Cobbler potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) in North America by Martin [2], who suggested that the disease might be caused by an infectious virus. Shultz and Folsom [3] investigated the disease and found that it was present in the tuber and could be spread mechanically in the field by leaf damage, tuber and stem grafts, with some evidence of insect transmission by aphids. Symptoms of the disease were characterized by stunting of the plants and elongated tubers; hence the disease was named ‘spindle tuber’. Although the causal agent was initially described as the potato spindle tuber ‘virus’, it was later found not to be a conventional virus, with a nucleic acid encapsidated by a viral protein, but a small, naked RNA molecule [4], [5], [6]. Diener [6], [7], credited with the discovery of this novel pathogen, advanced the concept of viroids and proposed the term ‘viroid’ to denote this new class of subviral pathogens. Similar observations of infectious, low-molecular weight nucleic acids were reported as the causal agent of citrus exocortis disease [8], [9] and chrysanthemum stunt disease [10], and confirmed the viroid concept proposed by Diener."

At:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168945214001083

Happening here. :mopper:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Never heard it before. Then

"Viroids are the smallest known agents of infectious disease [1]. The first viroid to be identified and characterized was Potato spindle tuber viroid (PSTVd). Potato spindle tuber disease was described in the early 1920s in Irish Cobbler potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) in North America by Martin [2], who suggested that the disease might be caused by an infectious virus. Shultz and Folsom [3] investigated the disease and found that it was present in the tuber and could be spread mechanically in the field by leaf damage, tuber and stem grafts, with some evidence of insect transmission by aphids. Symptoms of the disease were characterized by stunting of the plants and elongated tubers; hence the disease was named ‘spindle tuber’. Although the causal agent was initially described as the potato spindle tuber ‘virus’, it was later found not to be a conventional virus, with a nucleic acid encapsidated by a viral protein, but a small, naked RNA molecule [4], [5], [6]. Diener [6], [7], credited with the discovery of this novel pathogen, advanced the concept of viroids and proposed the term ‘viroid’ to denote this new class of subviral pathogens. Similar observations of infectious, low-molecular weight nucleic acids were reported as the causal agent of citrus exocortis disease [8], [9] and chrysanthemum stunt disease [10], and confirmed the viroid concept proposed by Diener."

At:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168945214001083

Happening here. :mopper:
We (Weed growers) are affected by Hops Latent Viroid among others but same deal...

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
We (Weed growers) are affected by Hops Latent Viroid among others but same deal...
I bought a commercial compost and it was full of suckers. Since aphids are vectors of transmission for these viroids, I'm afraid sh!t is worse than I first thought.
Yeah, slow growth is also a reality here.

Latest posts

Latest posts