What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Adventures of Mr VerdantGreen

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used B.T. - Bacilus Thurengensus (may have spell wrong) anyways I mixed this into my water as a soil drench and eliminate fungus gnats quite easily.
if you read what is in gnat nix or mosquito bits I believe it's the B.T. that does the work. I think it also sells as Monterey. Anyways. I'm not the best at IPM but when I find something that works I try to pass it on.

hey! thanks for stopping by, yes i am trying some mosquito dunks atm. i have used Gnatrol and wasn't convinced... but after a couple of recommendations i thought i should try a different source of B.T.
also using nematodes from time to time and trying to keep at it with both. seems to be working atm - the problem for me is that there are always gnats around to re-infect so i am just trying to use it as prevention now rather than cure.
VG

brickweeder

VG, i also settled on the dunks for fungus gnat control...the bits were not effective for me, but the dunks are 100% effective. i rub 2 together over the pot so the powder lightly coats the surface, add a thin layer of media so the powder doesn't float with watering, then water/feed as normal. 2 weeks later they are gone. I also put 1/4 dunk in my rez so the bt permeates the media every feeding. I don't like bits of corn in my media, and the amount of bt in the mosquito bits is minuscule compared to the dunks.

Last edited:

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
I had good success adding the Hypoaspis Miles directly to the pots in addition to the Bacillus and steinermea feltiae nematodes

B

Benny106

Robustulus(sp?) Also serve a healthy blow to populations of pests, honestly they are a gift that keeps giving.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
VG, i also settled on the dunks for fungus gnat control...the bits were not effective for me, but the dunks are 100% effective. i rub 2 together over the pot so the powder lightly coats the surface, add a thin layer of media so the powder doesn't float with watering, then water/feed as normal. 2 weeks later they are gone. I also put 1/4 dunk in my rez so the bt permeates the media every feeding. I don't like bits of corn in my media, and the amount of bt in the mosquito bits is minuscule compared to the dunks.

hey thanks, i havent been able to buy the dunks in the UK up until now so its good to hear that you think they are more effective. i've been leaving one in the watering can overnight but i may add some to the surface when i get the plants up-potted.

bsgospel yeah i was quite keen on trying those mites and bought some once.. i wasn't sure how persistant they were but may try again. not the cheapest beneficial to buy over here.

Sampas92 were all still learning ! thanks for stopping by

BeAn v.2.0 hi mate... i'm going to have to look them up !

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Morning ! - Saturday tune:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h-JYx76QNM (or search Massive Attack - Teardrop)

Plants were repotted into final pots yesterday. root growth was quite impressive and possibly the repot was a day or two late. I loosened the roots slightly where they were getting packed together at the bottom of the 2l pots they were in. one plant, a Chem Zhuzh, was put aside and will be flowered later or more likely cloned and discarded.. i chose the plant as much for the availablity of cuttings material as anything else. so now there are 3 plants of each variety.
cabrepot.jpg
they will be left to adjust for a couple of days at 16/8 and then flipped to flower... i may end up regretting not flipping them sooner. we will see. i Powdered a little mosquito dunk into the couple of inches of soil at the bottom of the pots (similar to @bsgospel's tip )

VG :tiphat:

As the tune says: Love is a verb, Love is a doing word...

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HI again. we are at 5 days flower and the plants seem to be ok and liking the soil mix in the final pots... not stretched much yet but i think the flowering response is yet to kick in. I removed an extra node from the top of some of the plants that had not branched out so convincingly after the initial topping. I wanted to treat all the plants the same but i was a bit concerned that the stretch on these might get troublesome with my limited cab height so i hedged my bets.
2 bubba Zhuzh , the more branched ones:
bz5days.jpg
BZ5top.jpg

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
and another Chem Zhuzh that has branched less and got double topped (which worked ok with this one):
Chemz5days.jpg
chemztop5days.jpg

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And the Bubba D S1s... these two got double topped and one of them looks a bit puny after the experience... we will see.
bubDS1at5.jpg
BubDs15daystop.jpg

Sampas92

Just newbin
Small thick beautifull girls you got there, where i live its usual to say the best womans are the smaller ones :sasmokin:

Peace :tiphat:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks guys... we are into the Christmas hols and it is an effort to look after the plants and train them whilst keeping it a secret from most of my family ....
i grabbed a couple of pics of one of the plants to show how i'm trying to train them... looks like the idea will work, but this time around may not be perfectly executed because i cannot spend enough time with the plants.
basically 4 canes and a strong wire to form a cage around each plant.. then i am trying to grow the plant as 4 colas, which have just enough room to grow in the footprint of 20 cm square that each pot has. this is partly inspired by ............. and his much bigger grow.
Here is an example, this one is working quite well... not all of them will be as good as this , depending on their willingness to branch.
cage1.jpg
cagetops.jpg
and a closer shot to look at how they are tied up. the idea is that the 'cage' is versatile and allows for a few different 'tricks' as neccessary. i just hope they stop stretching soon lol. that may catch me out this time.
cagemacro.jpg
VG :tiphat:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi all, happy new year. Kid back at school so i managed to take a proper look this morning. i have just about got away with the stretch with little space to spare. The training method worked quite well and would be better if i'd had more time. worth refining i think.
Training and manipulating plants is a strange thing. When you have time to relax and concentrate, it is a very 'zen' thing to do. brings you right into the moment and is very meditative, - but try and do it in a hurry whilst looking over your shoulder and its almost impossible to do it at all!

Anyway i grabbed a few shots of the Bubba Zhuzh's , will get pics of the rest tomorrow. still need tidying up a bit
BZ1:
bz1fl.jpg
BZ1fltop.jpg

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BZ2:
BZ2fl.jpg
BZ2fltop.jpg
and BZ3, this was one that refused to produce 4 decent branches when topped... so there are 2 !

BZ3fl.jpg
BZ3fltop.jpg

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

Looking good VG. Big fan leaves on BZ 2. Where can your retail seeds be found these days ? I cannot locate an outlet. Cheers.

Latest posts

Latest posts