What's new

THCa Pseudopolymorphism

How much decarboxylated though?? I notice anything over 30-40% is sticky and runny and WILL NOT form a shatter. Properly stored old material most likely is only 20% activated even at a year old, which you can still achieve a shatter no problem, BUT when it goes above 30% thats when you start to see sticky runny oil instead of shatter.

Yes, anyone with hands on experience with extractions knows this.

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
How much decarboxylated though?? I notice anything over 30-40% is sticky and runny and WILL NOT form a shatter. Properly stored old material most likely is only 20% activated even at a year old, which you can still achieve a shatter no problem, BUT when it goes above 30% thats when you start to see sticky runny oil instead of shatter.

How long do you purge? have you tried to run the slab over night at -600 mm hg at 85f then take out the slab out and let it sit for a half hour, then lower temp to 70 and run for 4 more hours? Try lower temp with strains that come out sticky. Just repeat the process until you achieve stability (about 3 times).

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
Thank you for bringing it up in that context because I originally brought this topic up because the first post by intoxicus says you cannot make shatter or wax from decarboxylated material. Most farmers consider there cured bud decarboxylated. So now the topic of discussion is how old can the trim get. Very good discussion but to be honest I don't have a lot of experience running trim several years old not properly stored

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
**Fully decarboxylated**

I figured it was implied but I forgot that people can be stupid like that.

Lmao that is why my first question was "Are you referring to decarboxylating ( by using heat) the oil after extracting fresh material that hasn't been decarboxylated? Because you for sure can get stable shatter from old slow cured (decarboxylated) material."

I am more than willing to have an actual discussion and debate Pangea and others have brought up good points.

I will not play personal attacks and logical fallacies with someone like Phenome. He's attempting to bait me into Straw Man's and using ad hominems to assist in taking away from the actual discussion. I encourage everyone to report him and bring this thread back on topic.

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
Well report me everyone if you feel that I have done something wrong. I won't let someone post a bunch of facts with false ones to confuse a bunch of people. I haven't done anything to troll you dude. You said " do you even make oil?" after I post eds recipe to make stable shatter, your the one trolling dude

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
While neither of you are being exactly civil, I do not agree that when you post someone else's information about how to make oil, and then one asks do you even make oil?; is not really trolling.

While neither of you are being exactly civil, I do not agree that when you post someone else's information about how to make oil, and then one asks do you even make oil?; is not really trolling.
I admittedly took offense when he accused me of posting other people's work after posting the picture of the rotavap I used to operate.

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
I admittedly took offense when he accused me of posting other people's work after posting the picture of the rotavap I used to operate.

My bad if you really used to have that rotovap but the only time I have seen that is to make the clear, not very many people know much about it. When you said " do you even make oil" and post pics of equipment like I start to wonder if that is really your work. If it genuinely is, mad props.

A6 Grower

Veteran
My bad if you really used to have that rotovap but the only time I have seen that is to make the clear, not very many people know much about it. When you said " do you even make oil" and post pics of equipment like I start to wonder if that is really your work. If it genuinely is, mad props.

Nobody uses a rotovap to make distillates unless they are just messing around, they are a bitch to use for thc distillates. We all use short path distillation setups or Kugelrohrs. Bigger guys are using centrifugal distillation setups or whipped film units like the pope ones or the one from helderpad.

Nobody uses a rotovap to make distillates unless they are just messing around, they are a bitch to use for thc distillates. We all use short path distillation setups or Kugelrohrs. Bigger guys are using centrifugal distillation setups or whipped film units like the pope ones or the one from helderpad.

It was for recovering ethanol in secondary solvent dewaxing.

Relevance: Pseudopolymorphism still occurs with no lipids present.

uxPrmlK.jpg

Daub Marley

THCa distillate is a granular crystal.

THC distillate(decarboxylated) is a viscous liquid.
Correct me if I am wrong but you cannot distill THC-A without decarboxylating it in the process.
I've seen pics on @theclearscientist on instagram of a cbd distillate that's crystallizing. So perhaps THC could do the same under certain conditions. It might be theoretically possible but probably not going to happen unless extreme purity or under pressure or something weird.

Correct me if I am wrong but you cannot distill THC-A without decarboxylating it in the process.
I've seen pics on @theclearscientist on instagram of a cbd distillate that's crystallizing. So perhaps THC could do the same under certain conditions. It might be theoretically possible but probably not going to happen unless extreme purity or under pressure or something weird.

Using a high vacuum can lower the boiling point so that the THCa evaporates without much, if any, decarboxylation.

There are other methods that do not involve distillation.

Daub Marley

Well I know vacuum can lower boiling points, but I've never seen any hint of thc-a in distillates. Are you speaking from experience or just theory?

Latest posts

Latest posts