What's new

That Lil~shit's @ it again.....

SirSmokalot

My Zips Be So Fluffy The Whole Town Love Me
Veteran
Many people just flush the medium and call it a day
Proper flush involves allowing the plant to use up all of it's stored food also.
This is why u should flush until the fan leaves and more begging to die after they've turned yellow/ purp. Dead leaf means nothing left to provide for nourishment for the plant. Hope that helps lyryc
I always flush until my shit is all dead. Unless I got a slacker or two in the room u can't find any green at harvest for me.

Gettin close LGS

SirSmokalot

My Zips Be So Fluffy The Whole Town Love Me
Veteran
And anyone who does a real flush knows there's no argument, just preference

Like sprout said. Major diff in final product. Running low on food also stimulate a stress hormone that makes em more potent at the end inducing oils to increase. Combine that with letting them almost dry out in the container before harvest and chop in the dark. All stimulate improved potency and cure.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Many people just flush the medium and call it a day
Proper flush involves allowing the plant to use up all of it's stored food also.
This is why u should flush until the fan leaves and more begging to die after they've turned yellow/ purp. Dead leaf means nothing left to provide for nourishment for the plant. Hope that helps lyryc

picture.php

picture.php

WSD by the way !!!

picture.php

picture.php

2 week minimum of Leaching ( fed plain water at normal amounts till runoff)

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
awesome help fellahs! I feel confident I been doing it right. I do atleast 2 weeks of plain water feed and Last run I took a few plants even longer and great results - one of hte tastiest batches :)

this is what I consider my best flushed plant - night terror OG
picture.php

heres the last girl to come down
picture.php

and Sir - I feel you on if you gotta make moves but some one isn't ready - just had one of those - 3 weeks plus flush but man this plant is so stanky good in every way except its a very fluffy bud structure
picture.php

sorry to hijack the thread sprout! Thanks Sir, Dan :tiphat:

Guyute54

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hmm is necessary to flush when your using everything 100% organic? I'm under the impression that if your growing organic there is no need to flush.

Since I switched to all organics my plants are super green still at harvest.

Back when I used to flush most would come down yellow or with lots of colors.

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think with organics ( not an organic grower , but have spoken to a couple ) your mixing your soil so that the plant finishes with them feeding on themselves cuz the soil nutes have been used up properly . you should be mixing in just enough ferts to get you through 10 or 12 week plant cycle . so if your still getting green by harvest .... i'm thinking theres to much nutrients left in the soils when the plants are being harvested .especially nitrogen . it should have been nearly depleted by the time the plant is finished . dig it ??? :)

this is just my thoughts on it & i could be dead wrong .

calientecarlos

Veteran
Master debater!!!!! Less is more. Organic no flush necesito I just quit top dressing mad guano and mollasses in the last weeks bc it was getting spendy and in fact superfluous proven by my newfound stellar results..

lil~greensprout

Living life large...
Veteran
:party:

Lil party in here I see...
picture.php

Cool lots of good info there by all involved, all I would add too
that is the PH factor, I like too also ween them off the PH down
as well. I feel this help avoid any shock/nutrient lockout that can
happen if they go from say 5.6 to 7.0 in a one shot deal, as this can
lead to the mimicing of the maturation proses, Now I might/probably
be over estimating things but, it works for me and... "if it ain't broken" !

LyryC, look in my photo albums for pic of my camera gear. :)
And I picked up my microscope at the pawn shop for like $150.00

Party on gentleman,
Sprout.

Last edited:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
I think with organics ( not an organic grower , but have spoken to a couple ) your mixing your soil so that the plant finishes with them feeding on themselves cuz the soil nutes have been used up properly . you should be mixing in just enough ferts to get you through 10 or 12 week plant cycle . so if your still getting green by harvest .... i'm thinking theres to much nutrients left in the soils when the plants are being harvested .especially nitrogen . it should have been nearly depleted by the time the plant is finished . dig it ??? :)

this is just my thoughts on it & i could be dead wrong .

yoyo dans!

Less about the plant having "used up"/depleting the "food" in the soil at the same time it's ripening, and more about the way the roots behave.. In short, the roots "sweat" an exudate that sort of dials up what they need. In a well-balanced organic medium, all of [that] should be readily available, at any time, irrespective of the stage of life of the plant sitting in it.

It's true that we can kind of tweak "input" into the soil at different times (ie. lay off the alfalfa, which is a ready source of N, in late flower), but because of the mechanism of the root exudates, there's a lot (a lot) of tolerance/wiggle room before you'd see fried, burned foliage as a result, vs. applying a massive dose of N via salt-based fertilizer..

..just the same, when applying a tea, while there is a sort of "boost" of immediately available goodness, it's also part of the a longer-term process of keeping the soil "charged," for lack of a better term..

Not sure if I'm articulating that well enough or not - I'm edible-y affected :D

Anyway - it's my opinion (and experience) that, as guyute said, in an organic application, flushing isn't necessary.

(At the least, what I'm hoping is communicated here is that it's hard to f*ck up) :D

:tiphat:

Good information all, good pictures too! .. Not a bad place ya got here ~sprout :dance:

Edit: "In addition to the classical roles of providing mechanical support and allowing water/nutrient uptake, roots also perform certain specialized roles, including the ability to synthesize, accumulate, and secrete a diverse array of compounds (Flores et al., 1999). Given the complexity and biodiversity of the underground world, roots are clearly not passive targets for soil organisms. Rather, the compounds secreted by plant roots serve important roles as chemical attractants and repellants in the rhizosphere, the narrow zone of soil immediately surrounding the root system (Estabrook and Yoder, 1998; Bais et al., 2001). The chemicals secreted into the soil by roots are broadly referred to as root exudates. Through the exudation of a wide variety of compounds, roots may regulate the soil microbial community in their immediate vicinity, cope with herbivores, encourage beneficial symbioses, change the chemical and physical properties of the soil, and inhibit the growth of competing plant species (Nardi et al., 2000; Fig. 1A). The ability to secrete a vast array of compounds into the rhizosphere is one of the most remarkable metabolic features of plant roots, with nearly 5% to 21% of all photosynthetically fixed carbon being transferred to the rhizosphere through root exudates (Marschner, 1995)."

Source: http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/132/1/44.full

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
No , it came out perfectly !!! Thanx for the correct info Silver :tiphat:

Like I said , it was what i was lead to believe about feeding organicly from talkin to a few folks . have dome some reading up on it , but most times they start getting into things that lose me real quick :biggrin:

lil~greensprout

Living life large...
Veteran
yoyo dans!

Less about the plant having "used up"/depleting the "food" in the soil at the same time it's ripening, and more about the way the roots behave.. In short, the roots "sweat" an exudate that sort of dials up what they need. In a well-balanced organic medium, all of [that] should be readily available, at any time, irrespective of the stage of life of the plant sitting in it.

Edit: "In addition to the classical roles of providing mechanical support and allowing water/nutrient uptake, roots also perform certain specialized roles, including the ability to synthesize, accumulate, and secrete a diverse array of compounds (Flores et al., 1999). Given the complexity and biodiversity of the underground world, roots are clearly not passive targets for soil organisms. Rather, the compounds secreted by plant roots serve important roles as chemical attractants and repellants in the rhizosphere, the narrow zone of soil immediately surrounding the root system (Estabrook and Yoder, 1998; Bais et al., 2001). The chemicals secreted into the soil by roots are broadly referred to as root exudates. Through the exudation of a wide variety of compounds, roots may regulate the soil microbial community in their immediate vicinity, cope with herbivores, encourage beneficial symbioses, change the chemical and physical properties of the soil, and inhibit the growth of competing plant species (Nardi et al., 2000; Fig. 1A). The ability to secrete a vast array of compounds into the rhizosphere is one of the most remarkable metabolic features of plant roots, with nearly 5% to 21% of all photosynthetically fixed carbon being transferred to the rhizosphere through root exudates (Marschner, 1995)."

Source: http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/132/1/44.full

Silver, what... wait, what ? :chin:

First, let me say...
"cum domus mea ludere meis ..."

Second, I've read that copy/post statement at least twenty times and
have yet too see where it translates into nutrient levels or how it relates
too the ripening proses, mostly it appears to talk about self defense,the
ability to regulate microbes, change chemical compounds & expel carbon...

Third, the whole "Organic" thing is a complete misnomer, as most of the
better nutrient makers use organic compounds, "just in refined forms"...
they don't/can't label them as organ because of our regulation nation
laws that specify what is and isn't organic. also I've never understood
where the mentality, "because it's in raw form" it's somehow magically
better for your plants and thus better for you, originated in the first
place. Nitro is nitro and calcium is just that, calcium, source matters not !
Too hear the "organic guys" talk you'd be under the impression that
bottled nutrients were somehow scraped from the bottom of old used
55 gallon drums, or dredged up out of the gulf after the B.P. oil spill.
So now that that's "out of the box", explain to me how "even" the
manufacturers of these products... whom keep in mind want too sell
you as much of there products as possible, recommend a final flush.
Also knowing that the breakdown of cal/mag the two major inhabiting
factors in the smoothness/taste of the final product takes somewhere
around 30 days, it would seem quite prudent to flush them out for at
least that long prior to harvest...taste the weed not the nitro/cal/mag.
That's not even taking into consideration the stress factor that a lack
a nutes brings on, as it relates to the overall potency levels and oil`s.

Fourth... pictures don't lie, most if not all the organically grow weed I've
seen here @ Icmag seem to be on the immature and greenish side... with the
exception of the guys who run their plants out to around the 90 day mark.
Annuals have an internal biological clock that expires after a finite amount
of time... they get old and die would be a more likely explanation for the
final ripening in a garden that still has plenty to offer, as far nutrients go.

And last but not least, see my opening statement... that's Latin for,
"My house... my rules !" ;)

[excerpt from the G.H web site]
Is the Flora Series organic?

Answer: First, what is or is not "organic" is the subject of intense debate. In the United States, there are numerous definitions of "organic", many of which differ significantly. Each state has its own regulations for labeling produce as "organic". Additionally, there are 36 non-governmental organizations, which can "certify" produce as organic. Now only crops grown from unrefined minerals are recognized as "organic". The trouble is unrefined minerals do not dissolve well for hydroponic use and some of these unrefined minerals contain quantities of impurities, some of which are toxic to plants. For that reason, FloraBloom, FloraGro, and FloraMicro are made from high quality refined minerals. This ensures high quality crop production, but prevents the crop from being considered "organic"

Bring on the retorts,
Sprout.

Last edited:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
:laughing:

Sorry ~sprout - wasn't meaning to offer an opinion about ripening or which is a better or worse method of gardening.. Just trying to explain the magic of roots & how they eat & decide what they need, that's all. :)

Mostly trying to resolve the fallacy that the plant "uses up" the nutrients in an organic container. I actually didn't mean to imply anything about ripening or color change or flush or etc..

I know, I know, back to the Medical tent for me.. :peek:

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
See ??? this is why i feed chems to coco & flush the shit out at the end !!! :biggrin:

lil~greensprout

Living life large...
Veteran
Silver :comfort: ya after re-reading that, it does sound kinda mean... :shucks:
I seen your PM. and figured this would be a better place to say sorry !

Cali, before you PM. me too... Lol !
picture.php

Dan ???... :)

Off too change my tampon...
make me a root beer float and
watch the new south park trilogy,
Sprout.

Last edited:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
:laughing:

Didn't seem so much "mean," as "Wow, that guy must'a really felt a certain way, what with the numbered-item response and half-a-novel in length!"

:cathug:

Trust me, I know better than to run around and start "those" debates ;)

And like carlos said, we just be skinnin' cats in here. And like you said, your casa, they be your rules, so for this cat, I'll just hold the tail and you skin away. :)

Edit: That reminds me - when I was locked up, there was this hillbilly CO who, if you interrupted while he was telling a story, would say this to you: "Hey now, man, I'm fuckin' this here cat, you just hold the tail, mmkay?"

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Organic = marketing term. Nutrient ions are just that regardless of sources so in reality organic folks should be talking about how they don't use pesticides and fungicides - not just what their plant is eating.

In my opinion a true organic grower does not feed the plant, they feed the soil. Also in my opinion the best organic growers are using nothing but pure water for the grow giving the plant control on what it needs, when and how since the soil that is "organic" is going to be alive and provide.

There is a great documentary called "dirt" it'll make you want to be a hippie by the end if you already aren't :)

I agree with Sprout - nice "rant" - and it wasn't mean.

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
it don't matter when or where ....
Everytime that word organic comes up .... this stuff happens :laughing: