What's new

Thaidelica

SolarLogos

I have 3 Thaidelica that I have growing directly in the ground. I soaked the seeds on 4/20, planted them into solo cups and put them in the ground a few weeks ago.
Again, correct me if I'm wrong @dubi , but I believe this hybrid is a Thai leaning Zamaldelica that is crossed into the Thai Chiang Mai. I don't recall if whether it was the Zamaldelica or the Thai that was the mother for this hybrid.

These are very vigorous plants and I expect them to possibly be the tallest plants I have growing. I only grew the 3 because I certainly plan to use the remaining seeds to bulk up on more seeds for future grows.

Two plants have 9 fingered leaves and one plant has 11 fingered leaves. The fingers on the leaves are long and the plants look very much Thai. These are beautiful Sativa, tall, short branching, which will benefit me as I planted them closer that I normally would, as I'm expecting more vertical growth. Pinching the tops would promote longer branching, but I prefer to grow them in their natural form. I expect a male or two, which will also put more space between the plants. When the lower branches start to grow out, I'll tie them and train them to grow vertically next to the plant, rather than outwards horizontally.

6-14a.jpg
6-14b.jpg
6-14c.jpg
6-14d.jpg

11 fingers
6-15a11finger.jpg

I'll attempt to get some description of the smells on my next post.
As with the other plants, the only feeding has been foliar spraying with epsom salt the past two weeks.

Thank you again Dubi for allowing me to try these. I still have some Golden Tiger from 2019 but sadly I'm out of Zamaldelica stash (still have seeds) so I won't be able to do a comparison between the Thaidelica and the Zamaldelica. Next year, I'll grow some more Zamaldelica so as to compare the new Thaidelica and Zamal A x Zamaldelica.

Thank you for stopping by.
Peace
SL

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thank you so much @SolarLogos for giving a try to this new sativa hybrid :smoke: They indeed look very Thai dominant for most traits: bearing, leaf, stretching, long thin stems, .... yes, it is Thai Chiang Mai P1 mother (mother of Thai Chi and Thai x Panama too) crossed with sameF2 Zamaldelica males of strong Thai influence in the finished product. Although the Thai mother is not the slowest flowering one among pure Chiang Mais, Thaidelica is still Thai dominant and flowering is usually quite long.

Did they already show gender ? Have a great weekend friend!

SolarLogos

Thank you so much @SolarLogos for giving a try to this new sativa hybrid :smoke: They indeed look very Thai dominant for most traits: bearing, leaf, stretching, long thin stems, .... yes, it is Thai Chiang Mai P1 mother (mother of Thai Chi and Thai x Panama too) crossed with sameF2 Zamaldelica males of strong Thai influence in the finished product. Although the Thai mother is not the slowest flowering one among pure Chiang Mais, Thaidelica is still Thai dominant and flowering is usually quite long.

Did they already show gender ? Have a great weekend friend!
Thank you Brother Dubi. These are growing quite fast and I have a feeling they'll be trees by the end. I'm also banking on a little luck, since the past few seasons have been mild going into the new year. Last year I harvested Sativa in December and all finished quite impressively. I'm feeling good about this year so far (still, wish me luck🤞), but if need by, I'll take cuts and finish them in a greenhouse.

About the sex, I have a girl! :dance013: I got to tell you Dubi, I am so excited about her, I'm floating on cloud 9. She is the tallest one and I always had odds on her for a male, simply because of her long stretch.
6-24a.jpg

The temperatures have been mild and it still feels like spring here. Everything in the ground is growing so well, I couldn't be happier. The leaves on all of the plants I have in the ground are huge. Additionally, I've also never seen so many 11 fingered leaves on so many various Sativa hybrids in one grow. The stocks on everything are thick. The female Thaidelica is no exception, 46 inches/ 117 cm tall and her main stalk is as big around as my little finger. Nice green colors all around and no sign of deficiencies, excesses or insect damage.

The other two Thaidelica have not shown sex. I have two other plants growing near the Thaidelica female, but they showed they are males and will be removed, so she'll have all the room she needs to grow. I won't top her and I'll let her go where she wants to.
6-14b.jpg
6-14.jpg
6-14a.jpg
6-14c.jpg

Today, all the plants got a soil drench in compost tea; tonight, they'll get foliar sprayed with a more diluted compost tea. I'll document more about the compost tea I make in the Zamal A x Zamaldelica thread.

Thank you again Dubi, I'll do my very best to see that these girls put on a show :dancer:

Peace
SL

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
So glad to hear you are so enthusiastic about this year season friend :D and that you already found one Thaidelica female! Damn, they are stretching like bamboos, with such aggressive leaves as they get more sexually mature. Let them be if height is not a problem and we will see in September how tall these can get :LOL:

SolarLogos

Let them be if height is not a problem and we will see in September how tall these can get :LOL:
September is a long ways away and the tall female is now 57 inches tall; she grew 11 inches/28cm in 5 days!
I'll probably need to hire an Arborist to cut it down at harvest time, haha. Everything in the ground is exploding with incredible growth. We've had weather in the middle to upper 70s/24-26c and around 50F/10c at night/morning so I was able to keep the compost tea going all week and fed them daily.

There is a few interesting things I've noticed in the garden and I think it's environmental (specifically soil) and would love to know your thoughts Dubi, or anyone else who might know.

First, I currently have 7 cultivars in the ground and all of them have 9-13 fingered leaves. Moreover, you've seen the size of the fan leaves, which is most of the plants in the ground; they are huge!

I have Vietnamese Black x Lieu Hanh that I've grown numerous times and have just over 30 in pots. However, I have about 8 of them in the ground and I'm finding 13 fingered leaves on the ones in the ground. In the pots, nothing over 9 fingers. See the extra finger also poking out on a few of them
(Sorry about the pollen on the leaves, a large shrub in the yard has been dropping lots of pollen)
6-29.jpg
6-29a.jpg
6-29b.jpg

With respect to the Thaidelica, all three initially had me thinking they were males. All three Thaidelica, as well as a 3 other cultivars are all showing growth, like a small branch/set of leaflets growing out of the branch next to the main stock. When the growth is small, they look like male claws. The location of the growth is slightly more into the branch than further down towards the stalk as I would have expected, so I ignored them and sure enough, two showed female and one is male. Here is a picture of the growth. I have only seen this on one other plant, I believe it was Purple Satellite around 4 years ago.
6-24.jpg
6-24b.jpg

You can see that the growth on the right side, in the back looks like a claw when it's small. But not to be fooled, it's a girl
6-24a.jpg

I don't know if it is necessarily a bad thing, because everything is showing explosive growth and vigor.

On a side note, the temperatures shot up to 87f yesterday and today it hit 100F/37.8c and Sunday is expected to be 107/41.7c. I've got shade cloth up over them now and will keep the mulch wet the next couple of days.
These plants are not hardened yet for these extreme temperatures but the shade cloth and keeping the feet moist should help. Also, I put a lot of seaweed and kelp in the compost tea. I don't know if you remember Dubi, but this exact sudden change in temperatures killed a well established Afghan and fried the leaves on 3 Golden Tigers about 5 or 6 years ago. It's always touchy with these sudden and extreme changes in temperatures, but I have a lot of confidence they'll do just fine.

Thanks and have a blessed day
Peace
SL

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If it gets too hot double your screen clothes on hot days and use side screens. Here's a cold-natured Indica and the temps hit 112f/23c daily. I used a screen to block the hottest part day off the plants. It worked well and I got quite a few jars of weed even though it was way too hot for an Indica. Here's how I saved my plants from the heat.

IMG_3581.JPG

IMG_3271.JPG

IMG_3270.JPG

SolarLogos

If it gets too hot double your screen clothes on hot days and use side screens. Here's a cold-natured Indica and the temps hit 112f/23c daily. I used a screen to block the hottest part day off the plants. It worked well and I got quite a few jars of weed even though it was way too hot for an Indica. Here's how I saved my plants from the heat.

View attachment 18859745

View attachment 18859744

View attachment 18859746
Thanks for stopping by brother. 112F is some pretty serious heat. It's rare we get over 106-107F. When we do, we tend to stay at those temps for 4-7 days, then it'll drop into the upper 90s. We will occasionally get to 110 or 111F, but it's not often.

I put up the shade cloth yesterday. My rows run north to south, so I put up the shade cloth the same direction, but shifted a bit towards the west so the plants get cooler morning sun, but ambient light during the rest of the day. I also put up a vertical shade cloth on the west side of the plants.

I'm using a 60% shade cloth so it's allowing 40% light in. I just hope I'm getting enough direct light that they won't stretch too much on me.

I'll tell ya an interesting thing about cannabis and heat. I put out seeds with tails in the ground outdoors in 100f+ and they do just fine. I've done it several times and on one of my thread here, I put out seedlings that opened in 106F and stayed around 104-105 for about a week and for the following month, the temps were in the upper 90s. They do just fine. It's amazing how a new seedling will immediately acclimate to the high temps, but an established plant will not tolerate going from mild to extreme temps quickly.

I'll be soil drenching with seaweed and kelp these next few days, it seems to keep the roots and plant cool.
Peace

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks for stopping by brother. 112F is some pretty serious heat. It's rare we get over 106-107F. When we do, we tend to stay at those temps for 4-7 days, then it'll drop into the upper 90s. We will occasionally get to 110 or 111F, but it's not often.

I put up the shade cloth yesterday. My rows run north to south, so I put up the shade cloth the same direction, but shifted a bit towards the west so the plants get cooler morning sun, but ambient light during the rest of the day. I also put up a vertical shade cloth on the east side of the plants.

I'm using a 60% shade cloth so it's allowing 40% light in. I just hope I'm getting enough direct light that they won't stretch too much on me.

I'll tell ya an interesting thing about cannabis and heat. I put out seeds with tails in the ground outdoors in 100f+ and they do just fine. I've done it several times and on one of my thread here, I put out seedlings that opened in 106F and stayed around 104-105 for about a week and for the following month, the temps were in the upper 90s. They do just fine. It's amazing how a new seedling will immediately acclimate to the high temps, but an established plant will not tolerate going from mild to extreme temps quickly.

I'll be soil drenching with seaweed and kelp these next few days, it seems to keep the roots and plant cool.
Peace
You don't have to worry about getting enough direct light when the temps are high. The plants just mostly transpire a lot of water to stay cool. The main objective is the photoperiod and since Summer Solstice is pasted the declining daylight hours is what matters most. Here the heat lasts until med Sept and so protecting the plants are very important. I love your plants thanks for posting.

SolarLogos

You don't have to worry about getting enough direct light when the temps are high. The plants just mostly transpire a lot of water to stay cool. The main objective is the photoperiod and since Summer Solstice is pasted the declining daylight hours is what matters most. Here the heat lasts until med Sept and so protecting the plants are very important. I love your plants thanks for posting.
Great thread as usual brother 👏 I'm watching this show.
Peace farmerlion
Hey, thanks for dropping in brothers We hit 104-107F for about 4 days and the Thaidelica handed it like the champions they are. I kept the shade cloth up until today, as it only got up to 91 today and the rest of the week is back down into the low to mid 80s. All the plants should be sufficiently hardened off by the time the next heatwave hits.

I kept the straw mulch moist on top to keep the dirt underneath cool. Putting my hand under the straw during the heat and the soil felt quite cool. Keeping the roots cool and seaweed soil drenches really makes a difference. I'm still amazed they grew so much during the heat spell; the Thaidelica is now over my head. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.
Peace

SolarLogos

I cannot believe these put on another 11"/28cm in the past 6 days! Another 5 or 6 weeks at least before the August stretcho_O Growing an average now of a foot per week, these will be trees come harvest. 68"/173cm tall today.

Outstanding job Master Dubi, so far this is a grand slam. I have a feeling the smoke will be insanely good. It'll be fun sharing with my friends at the local dispensary; after all, these ain't no cookies;)

The tallest girl is the one in the back behind a couple of other plants I have going. You can see her towering over them.
The yellow on the bottom leaves of the neighboring plant is the sunlight shining through as the sun goes down. (sorry, haven't quite figured out lighting and picture taking very well)
7-5a.jpg

I can't thank you enough @dubi I'm really enjoying growing these girls. I'm very impressed to say the least. Such vigor and quite easy to grow!
Peace
SL

Last edited:

SolarLogos

The Thaidelica are starting to slow down a little and today they are 73 inches/185cm. I have two females and it's difficult to tell at this stage whether the 3rd is a male, due to the unusual growth noted above. Initially, they look like a claw, but then turn out to be a set of leaflets.
These have very balanced and very nice branching; the side branches can get quite long especially near the bottom. :
7-9b.jpg
7-9a.jpg
7-9.jpg

SolarLogos

The Thaidelica is growing up. She is at 94" (239cm) tall this morning. She is currently in 3rd place in my garden. It's hard getting pics of them as they are in rows in the garden. Everything is on a drip irrigation system. I have an inch of mulch under the irrigation hoses that the water drips though and another 2-3 inches of straw on top of the irrigation system. The ground under the straw is quite cold in this 100-108 F (38-42c) temperatures. Everything is handling the heat like the champions they are. No shade cloth. My tallest plant (106 inches) grew 10 inches in 24 hours. Plants love being in the ground and they love the constant cool, moist soil.

Pictures are looking up, understandably ;)

7-21.jpg
7-21a.jpg
7-21b.jpg

Peace

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi @SolarLogos i have found those leaves coming out close the preflower, below the node, mostly in wilder strains such as Thai, Zamaldelica, Honduras, sometimes also in China Yunnan (not so sativa), but very rarely in very tamed modern strains mostly based on Afghani or Pakistani indica genetics.

Thaidelica grows with not so bushy look compared with Zamaldelica A you are also growing at the same, branching on Thaidelica is also very strong, but more irregular (like sometimes Thais do) and with longer nodes, so allows better light penetration.

Thanks for the picture with you enjoying in the garden :love:

Latest posts

Latest posts