What's new

thai bagseed bagseed

nldfarmer

Decided to start a thread to see if anyone can throw some yays or nays my way for whether these things are actually Thai or not.

I got some bagseed from a dispensary plant, labeled "Wild Thailand". Story was that the owner brought back some bagseed from a trip to Thailand.

Dispensary flower had a sour aroma and strong unique sativa buzz, was pretty dense. I was initially a little surprised when I grew them out, as they are looking more Thai than what the dispensary had, but seem to have a really short flowering time (8 weeks) due to very strong semi flowering tendencies.

The buzz from the seeded home grown flowers was very very interesting, ranging from deceptively clear to clear + trippy. Satisfying length to the buzz, don't really want to smoke anything else since its so nice. About to harvest some unseeded to test potency. Leaves are narrow but not razor thin. Smells vary, with #3 having heavy orange and sometimes kush like lemon aromas, #2 having very lemony, bright, and woody, and #1 having a very dark cocoa or chocolate layer smothering the same bright smell #2 has and no real citrus. Taste tends to follow the smells.

Here are the seeded wild thailands, 1, 3, and 2 (still figuring out uploads). Unseeded pics to follow.
wild_thailand_1_seeded.jpg
wild_thailand_3_seeded.jpg

wild_thailand_2_seeded.jpg

Attachments

• wild_thailand_1_seeded.jpg
    wild_thailand_1_seeded.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 57
  • wild_thailand_2_seeded.jpg
    wild_thailand_2_seeded.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 47
  • wild_thailand_3_seeded.jpg
    wild_thailand_3_seeded.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 46

nldfarmer

wild thailand 1
wild_thailand_1_1.jpg
wild_thailand_1_2.jpg
wild_thailand_1_3.jpg
wild_thailand_1_popcorn_1.jpg
wild_thailand_1_popcorn_2.jpg

Attachments

• wild_thailand_1_1.jpg
    wild_thailand_1_1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 55
  • wild_thailand_1_2.jpg
    wild_thailand_1_2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 55
  • wild_thailand_1_3.jpg
    wild_thailand_1_3.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 46
  • wild_thailand_1_popcorn_1.jpg
    wild_thailand_1_popcorn_1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 47
  • wild_thailand_1_popcorn_2.jpg
    wild_thailand_1_popcorn_2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 41

nldfarmer

wild thailand 2
wild_thailand_2_1.jpg
wild_thailand_2_2.jpg
wild_thailand_2_3.jpg
wild_thailand_2_4.jpg

Attachments

• wild_thailand_2_1.jpg
    wild_thailand_2_1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 60
  • wild_thailand_2_2.jpg
    wild_thailand_2_2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 53
  • wild_thailand_2_3.jpg
    wild_thailand_2_3.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 44
  • wild_thailand_2_4.jpg
    wild_thailand_2_4.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 52

romanoweed

these are nearly real deal Thai IMHO. Thats my statement for this Line. So : sadly not quiet right, but like said, nearly. The look is also sweet.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Not what i would call a Thai sativa they look like a Haze hybrid leaning more to the indica side in the flower.

Saying that if you like the smoke and you found stable seed and it flowers in 8 weeks then who cares if its not a Thai.

cbotany

bro, thats a beautiful plant, don't let anyone distract you from that fact, there is no true "thai" Imho, like every other country there is genetic diversity and introduced genetics, my dad always told me to like what i like, and not care about other peoples idea's, when i think thai i think a hermaphroditic plant (mostly) that flowers 16-18 weeks with very loose loose foxtail buds, but that doesn't mean what you're growing isn't a thai strain, or didn't come from thai bag seed, that just means that an old school long flowering thai exist, i'd keep the name, and keep up the good work, cheers

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Not what i would call a Thai sativa they look like a Haze hybrid leaning more to the indica side in the flower.

Saying that if you like the smoke and you found stable seed and it flowers in 8 weeks then who cares if its not a Thai.

It looks like a 3/4 sativa to me, but there's no reason to say it isn't a Thai or Thai hybrid. Despite your interest in Haze, not every sativa is a Haze and there's no way you can tell from looking at it anyway. I grew a Seedsman Mama Thai that looked way more Indica than this, for example.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
It looks like a 3/4 sativa to me, but there's no reason to say it isn't a Thai or Thai hybrid. Despite your interest in Haze, not every sativa is a Haze and there's no way you can tell from looking at it anyway. I grew a Seedsman Mama Thai that looked way more Indica than this, for example.

Even a 50% Thai would look more sat than those pics the line to me looks like a Haze hybrid that leans heavy to the indica side 8 week flower from seed alone should be telling you lots.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Even a 50% Thai would look more sat than those pics the line to me looks like a Haze hybrid that leans heavy to the indica side 8 week flower from seed alone should be telling you lots.
Look I don't want to get into an argument but there is no way you can tell that is a Haze hybrid from looks. You just can't. About all you can say is that it looks mostly sativa dominant, to me anyway, maybe apart from a couple photos. Eight weeks is incredibly early but the OP says it "seem to have a really short flowering time (8 weeks) due to very strong semi flowering tendencies". I assume he means autoflowering which may somewhat account for the early maturing.
Also while I'm sure dispensaries don't always tell the truth about varieties, there is no reason that they would state that it's a Thai instead of a Haze. What would be the point?

Anyway it sounds like it has a nice high.:ying:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Look I don't want to get into an argument but there is no way you can tell that is a Haze hybrid from looks. You just can't. About all you can say is that it looks mostly sativa dominant, to me anyway, maybe apart from a couple photos. Eight weeks is incredibly early but the OP says it "seem to have a really short flowering time (8 weeks) due to very strong semi flowering tendencies". I assume he means autoflowering which may somewhat account for the early maturing.
Also while I'm sure dispensaries don't always tell the truth about varieties, there is no reason that they would state that it's a Thai instead of a Haze. What would be the point?

Anyway it sounds like it has a nice high.:ying:

Chi i have grown Thai sativas for over 40 years trust me when i say that looks nothing like a Thai or even a 50% Thai sat hybrid NLDFarmer asked a question i answered him.

8 week flower most Thai sativas wouldn't even sex in that time.

romanoweed

hey, imho i didnt distract if you ment me. When i said it looks nearly real deal, then i ment the Quality of effect. Per example i would rated a chunky shortflowering Thailand Line found in the 70s with a not spot on effect as: not real deal, if the effect wasnt real deal. Also i would rated a thin-pearl pheno Thai found in the 70s as not real deal if the effect werent real Deal.
I didnt necessarly mean to classify lineage.

romanoweed

HEMPY did you over those 40 years get a Thai Line that was selected for shorter flowering? How low could one get it. And did you never hear of Autoflowering-tendencies in Thai? I heard it twice. this is the third time.
So , probably thats the Reason.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Doesn't look like pure thai. It may be a thai hibrid, tho, crossed with something more indica. The smell and taste you describe could indicate it has some thai in it.
But, as long as you are happy with smoking it and if flowers that fast, sounds like a keeper.

Raho

Veteran
Decided to start a thread to see if anyone can throw some yays or nays my way for whether these things are actually Thai or not.

I got some bagseed from a dispensary plant, labeled "Wild Thailand". Story was that the owner brought back some bagseed from a trip to Thailand.

There is no reason somebody would go out of the way to LIE about a boring story like that. Anybody visiting Thailand can get their hands on seeded street weed and bring back the beans.
It's not like the guy said:
"They were 1975 heirlooms handed down to him by his father (a fisherman) from a BOEL freighter that he helped to unload and got paid in Thai sticks. Dad loved the smoke so much that he kept the seeds in a freezer for 45 years. The seeds were left to Jr. in a special sealed note during the reading of his will last year. RIP."

Sounds like their label should be "2020 Thai Vacation Street Weed."
Of course it's true. the weed was exactly what they said it was.
Who would make up a mundane story like that?
But note: they didn't say it was "Thai" or "PureThai." They said the seeds were from Thailand.

NOBODY (not even Hempy) can tell you what the pedigree of those seeds are. ESPECIALLY not from looking at a picture of some (unhappy?) plants.
The tastes and effects you described were sufficiently vague that it could come from a grow report of almost any sativa strain discussed on ICmag. No help there.

Chi13 is exactly right.
cbotany is also right: If you like the smoke, who cares what the name is? You are NEVER gonna know what the true pedigree is. Too many layers of obfuscation between you and the only people that MIGHT know . . . the growers. Hell, even THEY may not know the true history of the seeds they planted.

If you need a cool story or a name for your new plants, make one up yourself.
That's what people have been doing since kids and hippies first started trying to grow bagseed (long before Hempy ever touched the stuff).

May I suggest something impressive like "Red String Buddha Sticks" or "Lost Temple Offering Flowers"?
Chicks will dig that.
Avoid names like "Tuk-Tuk Tranny Pre-Roll Gold"

But whatever you do, don't let Hempy convince you that you are smoking a Haze hybrid.
He just doesn't know.
Even after "growing Thia sativas for over 40 years."

Congrats on finding a plant that makes you feel great! That is what all of us are trying to do.

Last edited:

TheDarkStorm

Dispensary flower had a sour aroma and strong unique sativa buzz, was pretty dense. I was initially a little surprised when I grew them out, as they are looking more Thai than what the dispensary had, but seem to have a really short flowering time (8 weeks) due to very strong semi flowering tendencies.

The buzz from the seeded home grown flowers was very very interesting, ranging from deceptively clear to clear + trippy. Satisfying length to the buzz, don't really want to smoke anything else since its so nice. About to harvest some unseeded to test potency. Leaves are narrow but not razor thin. Smells vary, with #3 having heavy orange and sometimes kush like lemon aromas, #2 having very lemony, bright, and woody, and #1 having a very dark cocoa or chocolate layer smothering the same bright smell #2 has and no real citrus. Taste tends to follow the smells.

Here are the seeded wild thailands, 1, 3, and 2 (still figuring out uploads). Unseeded pics to follow.

Im suprised no has mentioned to about the well known strain put out by wos called wild thailand....by coincidence it to has phenotypes that can go from 8 upto 16 weeks.....I know for a fact people have spun off their own lines from this by inbreeding selected phenos...and its being spread as a pure landrace, along with added stories of origin.....only thing is at release its not a pure landrace..but is the long flowering koh chang thai crossed to wos prime breeding afghan kush.....I would be thinking if your sources story is the truth why would he name the strain the exact same name as a well known strain..with a name already known in many dispensary legal circles....with similar flower times and looks to his...whith reports of similar effects tastes and scents...which has several inbred selected lines that are being spread right now as a pure landrace with origin stories very similar to his.

nldfarmer

heh, we'll see about stable. I had 9 seeds total, 6 planted, 4 made it to flowering. 3 females and 1 male that hermed that I used to pollinate all 3. I'm going to try to reverse #2 and pollinate #1 and see what comes out of it. I did mean semi flowering not auto flowering. They flower once they get stressed or fill out the pots. They can be kept in mom form by taking new clones, continual up potting and a strict veg dosage. I'm not sure what it is about my growing style or if I just got really lucky with genetics but I tend to run into semi flower more often that usual.

And yes, seedsman Mama Thai was probably the closest thing I found online to it.

Not trying to start a war about haze vz thai here so we can all calm down, there's no right answer here, all we know is that this is double bagseeed :)...

the facts that to me lean thai
  • wicked sativa high - I smoked #2 scissor hash and got a nice trippy effect for ~30 mins followed by a very enhanced hazed and dazed effect, totally cut through my Rom x GDP I used as the flower base.
  • extremely vigorous growth - they outpaced the Ace Malawis sown at the same time, up until ~ week 4 of flower
  • the extremely short flowering time is mostly limited to the "thai" leaners #2, #1, but really #1 and #3 can probably go 9 or 10 if you want to push it, #2 is the only one that is screaming for an 8 week harvest
  • growth structure leaning towards sativa
  • #1 and #2 have smells and descriptions reminiscent of some old thais (which I've never had anything close to, not that old)
non thai facts
  • extremely dense buds, it's like a hybrid or indica
  • extremely short flowering time for what should be a sativa. although I know semi flowering can be used like auto flowering to speed up a line...I'm estimating #1 and #3 to be 8-10 week instead of 7-8 like #2 which is closer to reasonable.
  • #3 just smells too much like kush sometimes, even if the effect is different
  • found a male, if this was a true S1 there shouldn't be a male. I've had this exact situation happen before though...a male from seeds I knew to be S1, the male also wasn't sexually stable.
I still have 3 seeds left, if I can successfully reverse the #2 it might be worth trying those out to see what happens.

Raho

Veteran
heh, we'll see about stable. I had 9 seeds total, 6 planted, 4 made it to flowering. 3 females and 1 male that hermed that I used to pollinate all 3. I'm going to try to reverse #2 and pollinate #1 and see what comes out of it. I did mean semi flowering not auto flowering. They flower once they get stressed or fill out the pots. They can be kept in mom form by taking new clones, continual up potting and a strict veg dosage. I'm not sure what it is about my growing style or if I just got really lucky with genetics but I tend to run into semi flower more often that usual.

And yes, seedsman Mama Thai was probably the closest thing I found online to it.

Not trying to start a war about haze vz thai here so we can all calm down, there's no right answer here, all we know is that this is double bagseeed :)...

the facts that to me lean thai
  • wicked sativa high - I smoked #2 scissor hash and got a nice trippy effect for ~30 mins followed by a very enhanced hazed and dazed effect, totally cut through my Rom x GDP I used as the flower base.
  • extremely vigorous growth - they outpaced the Ace Malawis sown at the same time, up until ~ week 4 of flower
  • the extremely short flowering time is mostly limited to the "thai" leaners #2, #1, but really #1 and #3 can probably go 9 or 10 if you want to push it, #2 is the only one that is screaming for an 8 week harvest
  • growth structure leaning towards sativa
  • #1 and #2 have smells and descriptions reminiscent of some old thais (which I've never had anything close to, not that old)
non thai facts
  • extremely dense buds, it's like a hybrid or indica
  • extremely short flowering time for what should be a sativa. although I know semi flowering can be used like auto flowering to speed up a line...I'm estimating #1 and #3 to be 8-10 week instead of 7-8 like #2 which is closer to reasonable.
  • #3 just smells too much like kush sometimes, even if the effect is different
  • found a male, if this was a true S1 there shouldn't be a male. I've had this exact situation happen before though...a male from seeds I knew to be S1, the male also wasn't sexually stable.
I still have 3 seeds left, if I can successfully reverse the #2 it might be worth trying those out to see what happens.

Cool!
So "Tuk-Tuk Tranny Pre-Roll Gold" it is then.
Pre-21 . . . the good stuff.

Congrats ;-)

Latest posts

Latest posts