What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Test seeds dying.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
So lately my garden skills have not been good at all.
So I wanted to try n grow some reggie seeds to see if i can keep them alive and grow at all.

I wanted to grow these seeds just as a test just to figure out what my problem is with keeping plants alive, healthy, and growing.
And not to my surprise these seedlings already have major problems. And I don't know what the Fkn probem is this time. 😢

All are in soil undr led lights. Many pix. Help is much appreciated. Believe it or not the bigger plants are a couple of months old by now.
20220830_223441.jpg
20220830_223513.jpg
20220830_235512.jpg
20220830_235532.jpg
20220830_235546.jpg

Grown in soil.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I don't like wood-base potting mixes because the wood ties up the nitrogen. Starting with the cups above you need to use a better potting mix with super clean water. Fill the cups to the top of the cup with quality potting soil. You don't have enough soil in your cups. Weigh the cup with soil dry before you water and after you water. Write both the weights on the top of the cups so you can keep up with how much water they use. When you water, make sure you don't allow any runoff. The runoff will flush out the nutrients every time you water. Water only enough to wet the soil and then stop. You have to let the soil almost dry before watering again. That's why you weigh the cups. Use rainwater if you can get it. Keep trying your almost there. 😎

Snipp

Hi
The symptoms look like overwatering. (Pic1).
Pic 2 and last one look like inappropriate soil. I would say too much fertilizer. Start with a soil wich does not contain to much nutrients

Snipp

Hi
Pic 2 and last one look like inappropriate soil. I would say too much fertilizer. Or due to PH /EC level ( woodchips )

Start with a soil wich does not contain to much nutrients.

xet

+1 on nixing the wood substrate.

More heat and higher humidity will go a long way.

I would look into sourcing local composted cow/horse/exotic/manure and doing a manure+sand (or green sand)+clay+gypsum sort of mix, play with ratios - cheap, effective,

Snipp

I don't know where you re from - you can buy soil for vegetables, seedlings, fruits and so on. Might cost more - but that pays off at the end.
Of course you can also mix your own too (sure you'd find lot of tutorials).
Try to keep a ph of 6 - 7 to ensure all nutrients can be taken by the plant. That is the most important.In what medium the plants are standing is secondary as long they have water and nutrients.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hi
Pic 2 and last one look like inappropriate soil. I would say too much fertilizer. Or due to PH /EC level ( woodchips )

Start with a soil wich does not contain to much nutrients.
I start seeds in soil mixes that have a very high EC of over 4000 ppm. Using a potting mix with a high ppm is ok if one uses pure water only. 😎

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
That's funny that people are now telling me to use Fox farm ocean forest soil because I just switched from Fox farm ocean forest cause it wasn't working out for me. Last night I took a dome off of this seedling and this morning it looked half dead. The only other thing I can think of to do is get rid of this soil and buy some other soil.
Or maybe try some Coco grow medium.

I don't wanna waste any more seeds because I can't grow so I gotta get this dying seeds thing figured out now.

The leaves on ones that are dying feel kinda soft. What's that sign of?

20220831_123554.jpg
20220831_123531.jpg

goingrey

That's funny that people are now telling me to use Fox farm ocean forest soil because I just switched from Fox farm ocean forest cause it wasn't working out for me. Last night I took a dome off of this seedling and this morning it looked half dead. The only other thing I can think of to do is get rid of this soil and buy some other soil.
Or maybe try some Coco grow medium.

I don't wanna waste any more seeds because I can't grow so I gotta get this dying seeds thing figured out now.

The leaves on ones that are dying feel kinda soft. What's that sign of?

View attachment 18751053 View attachment 18751054
If you're experiencing the same issue with two totally different soils it's safe to say the problem isn't the soil, and unlikely that it will be fixed by trying a third kind of soil.

If the leaves feel soft in a weird way I suppose that would be overwatering.

The plant in those pictures does not appear to be dying to me though. It has a funky leaf but new growth looks good no?

mack 10

Veteran
What light u using ?
How close is it?

Get some fresh soil.
Poss add some perlite
Vermiclite/clay balls or something to lighten the mix.

Looks like over water, nute lock
Mag def.

Get your light source sorted
An your off.
The other plant looked more healthy.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Don't put your plants under domes when they are actively growing. The reason is, that they can't transpire the gases and water from the roots to the stomata in the leaves. There's nowhere for the moisture to go. That's why your leave may be starting burning.

If it happens to you with all the soils you use, then it's not the soil that's the problem. It's your water management or your water causing your problems. I have super results using Fox Farms because I know how to use it. IF anyone doesn't get healthy plants using Fox Farms then they are not using it correctly. If you use Fox Farms then you need to use"water only" for the first few weeks. But don't overwater or you will burn the hell out of the plants.

I get good results using Pro mix, Sunshine, Roots Organic and most any other soil mix because of knowing water management for each mix. IF you keep having the same problems you may need to look at your growing technic and make adjustments. The plants above are starting to burn because you may be giving plants water too soon. The excess solute from the water and nutrients in the container is starting to burn the leaves. Heres are some water-only Fox Farms plant in veg photos😎

222_0158.JPG
222_0192.JPG

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
The bright led lights aren't too close at all like around 2-3 feet away. Im thinking there's a chance that all those plants might be over watered and here's why. I also have these 2 seedlings in the same soil and in the same red cups and they're doing just fine. The soil doesn't feel over wet with these two. So imma let all the plants dry out more before each watering and if that don't fix the problem then ill have to start over. 😦 the first pic show the 2 that r growing fine. The next pic shows the other two that must have gotten over watered. And if they end up growing at least 5 inches taller then ill plant them in bigger pots. I used to be a great grower but these last 2 years ive been sucking at gardenig both indoors and outdoors.

20220831_132449.jpg
20220831_143318.jpg

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Get your medium game under control.. Most issues are from PH imbalance causing lockout. Your medium doesn't look great.. Use something with more perlite like Promix HP.

1. What type of medium used?
2. What is your feeding PH?
3. What is the EC/PPM of your feed
4. What is the PH runoff?
5. Are you letting your medium dry before watering again?

Mattbho

Alot of excellent growers on here however none can truly tell whats going on. Maybe you use the domes because your growing in 10%rh . You have to paint the entire picture for us .. perhaps the pots are sitting on cold concrete

Tell us everything take your time , I personally promise to take equal time thinking and solving your issues.

ARE YOU USING?

SOIL:

How long has this problem been going on?
What STRAIN are you growing?
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?)
What is the age of your plants?
How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now?
Were they in the same mixture when they were seedlings/smaller plant? If not, what mixture were they in before?
How Tall are the plants?
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc)
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)
What brand Nutrient's are you using?
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*
How often are you feeding?
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"?
How often are you testing pH/ppm/EC/TDS?
What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen?
How often are you watering?
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?
What size bulb are you using?
How old is your bulbs?
What is the distance to the canopy?
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)
What is the canopy temperature?
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?
Is your water HARD or SOFT?
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?
If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap?(Only if you have a tds pen)
If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives?(Only if you have a tds pen)
Are you using water from a water softener?
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?
Are plant's infected with pest's

its a big list answer what u can it will help solve your issues lickity split

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
How far away do you keep your lights from you plants? I guess ill switch back to fox farm soil and water only.
If your plants start getting tall and lanky then you need to lower the lights a little. If the plants are staying too short and squatty and too dense you need to raise the lights. . The plants will tell how close or far your lights should be by their main stem growth. 😎