What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpene conservation by drought stress before cut

Cerathule

Hello, for the last 2 weeks I've tried to use some drought stress by letting the pots dry out until beginning of wilt. My understanding is that when this happens plants shut down pores to better conserve water. It's slowing growth also down though. Then after irrigation they began to smell strongly, but with yet another dry period this terminated soon then.
Thus I'm wondering if wilt/drought should be used to preserve terpenes and start by having less water contained in the stems when being cut?

Cerathule

63624.jpg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Pours as you call them are called stomata and the stomata open and close according to the plant's needs and growing conditions. The more stomata a plant has the more water transpiration can occur. When a plant has to close all its stomata to conserve water the plant's metabolism changes after a period of time. The production of trichomes are a way to protect the plant tissue from drying out when the stomata have all closed. Plants without leaves have a more difficult time transpiring water than plants with a lot of leaves for this reason. So there's a difference between a plant that's been de-leafed and one that has not when it comes to using water stress methods.. . That's a very nice flowering top. Thanks for sharing.. 😎

Last edited:

Ca++

Many of the smells are water soluble, so you loose noticably more from wetter plants. However, it's as if it's that irrigation's load. Nothing in the grand scheme. For handing reasons I want them wet. Many dry trim... but if I do that it's not just a small coming off, I can literally see it coming off. Even then, most people can't tell. Peoples taste deficiencies overshadow just about anything.

10Kg scale? I had to check the pic wasn't mine for a moment :)

Cerathule

I'm not climate controlled and can only change between LED and HIDs or CFL or even incandescants lol that are rather like heatlamps. Well it's currently 70F in the drychamber, mild breeze via PC fans, 75% rH.

What I dislike is crumbly hard outer bud feeling when in the inner still moist... can the drought stress reduce this extreme a bit, guarantee less risky for a slow dry?

Cerathule

Pours as you call them are called stomata and the stomata open and close according to the plant's needs and growing conditions. The more stomata a plant has the more water transpiration can occur. When a plant has to close all its stomata to conserve water the plant's metabolism changes after a period of time. The production of trichomes are a way to protect the plant tissue from drying out when the stomata have all closed. Plants without leaves have a more difficult time transpiring water than plants with a lot of leaves for this reason. So there's a difference between a plant that's been de-leafed and one that has not when it comes to using water stress methods.. . That's a very nice flowering top. Thanks for sharing.. 😎
Hello CP, thank you very much for your kind words.
You are right and there are even more semipermeable membranes surrounding each cells where channels or pumps allow specific molecular flow and ofc, also water. The plant has several fluidic streams inside her, and the watery content can be distributed from cell-to-cell (symplastically) or around/along the cells (apoplastically).
It must therefore possess many regulatory mechanisms to help optimize water-use-efficiency in response to stress. But it's just a theory ;)

tdlf!

I'm not climate controlled and can only change between LED and HIDs or CFL or even incandescants lol that are rather like heatlamps. Well it's currently 70F in the drychamber, mild breeze via PC fans, 75% rH.

What I dislike is crumbly hard outer bud feeling when in the inner still moist... can the drought stress reduce this extreme a bit, guarantee less risky for a slow dry?
a quick cure in jar or buckets will solve this uneven moisture dispersion.

Latest posts

Latest posts