What's new

Terpenator MK5 assembly

robtreeman

Are you using the correct thread tape? Gas rated ptfe plumbers tape is yellow. The stuff you are using looks white? Maybe it's just the flash washing out the color

Are you using the correct thread tape? Gas rated ptfe plumbers tape is yellow. The stuff you are using looks white? Maybe it's just the flash washing out the color

Its really really lightly colored. But it says gas line tape and its thicker than shit so I think its the proper stuff

GAST orderer. Omg how did no one mention the 25 day lead time that GAST has on our pump model and presumably most of their catalogue. What a crock of horse shit. Also on a side note, I have my MK5 plumbed up...and it leaks like a sieve. Any handy tips as to where this thing most likely leaks at? I'm about to scrap $300 in gyrolock fittings and plumb it with convoluted stainless flex lines
wwAKvaK.jpg

Woahhh baby. She looks beautiful, Shifty! If I were you I'd scrap the compression fittings and go with real hoses. I have never been a fan of those. As for convoluted lines, does anyone know how substantial the pressure drop is from using them? They seem much more robust than SS overbraided PTFE lined hoses but the pressure drop is something which I have always been weary of.

Breakover

Looks awesome!

You're missing a fitting on that 1/2" cross on the vent/top flood line. I presume that's for a sensor or gauge.

Breakover

Woahhh baby. She looks beautiful, Shifty! If I were you I'd scrap the compression fittings and go with real hoses. I have never been a fan of those. As for convoluted lines, does anyone know how substantial the pressure drop is from using them? They seem much more robust than SS overbraided PTFE lined hoses but the pressure drop is something which I have always been weary of.

I've never used them for rich butane (loaded with extract) but for lean butane and vapor recovery they're fine, and recovery times are not really affected all that much. Be aware the JIC fittings are the same thread pattern in 1/4" and 1/2" size and will work just fine with a little extra umph on 45 degree flare fittings. 3/8" jic is a totally different thread pattern than the 45's, so make sure you order the corresponding 3/8" jic fitting for them.

Check out hosecraft/flexicraft. Least expensive I've found for corrugated stainless lines.

I've never used them for rich butane (loaded with extract) but for lean butane and vapor recovery they're fine, and recovery times are not really affected all that much. Be aware the JIC fittings are the same thread pattern in 1/4" and 1/2" size and will work just fine with a little extra umph on 45 degree flare fittings. 3/8" jic is a totally different thread pattern than the 45's, so make sure you order the corresponding 3/8" jic fitting for them.

Check out hosecraft/flexicraft. Least expensive I've found for corrugated stainless lines.

Good info to know..thanks Northern. I've heard that about 45/37 degree connections on 1/4" and 1/2" fittings. Redbeard tested the connection out and it held pressure successfully! Personally I'd rather find the proper fitting if it exists but that's a good plan b.

It seems process hose has them for even less!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GAST orderer. Omg how did no one mention the 25 day lead time that GAST has on our pump model and presumably most of their catalogue. What a crock of horse shit. Also on a side note, I have my MK5 plumbed up...and it leaks like a sieve. Any handy tips as to where this thing most likely leaks at? I'm about to scrap $300 in gyrolock fittings and plumb it with convoluted stainless flex lines View Image

Yeah and Haskel pumps are out 60 days, and Omega or Briskheat mats are out even further.

We submerge the assembly in a barrel of water and pressurize to 100 psi. Usually we find the leaks at threaded joints, Stainless to stainless fits are harder to seal because nothing gives and if you get too rambunctious without adequate tape or dope, they gall. We use both teflon paste and either yellow pipe tape, or stainless teflon tape.

Also at loose compression fittings, and valve stems. If they leak at a valve stem, take off the handle and tighten the valve packing gland. I often start out by tightening them and all the 3 piece valve bolts before starting testing, along with all the tri-clamp connections.

As far as hoses, pressure ratings, and line losses, both the stainless over-braided PTFE hoses and convoluted stainless hoses have more than adequate pressure ratings and chemical compatibility. The smooth bore hose has less flow resistance than the convoluted hoses, with fewer places for molecules to hide.

Another option with permanent mounting, is to use semi rigid stainless tubing bent to full radius curves. Use a short vibration isolator at the pump connections, of either of the above hoses. With impermanent mounting, you could make up manifolds that quickly assemble.

BigJohnny

Is there anyway to get plans and a part list to build one yourself? Being in Canada I'd like to source parts locally and build it myself.

BigJohnny

I found one of his posts mentioning selling them, so I inquired, but I'm still very highly interested in this automated Mk 5 unit as a high volume solution is needed.

BigJohnny

I need to be able to edit posts...

The one he was showing mentioned holding 4lbs, which would be fine....but it's the whole automated aspect that really appeals to me.

The plans to build one are:
(1) 12x12 spool with two lids (one modified for triclamp connections )
(1) 2" triclamp equal t
(2) triclamp 90deg elbows
(2) 2" ball valves
(2) 4x2 concentric reducers modified with 3/8 and 1/2 mnpt on both
(2) 4x36 columns
(2) 4x2 cap reducers
(4) 1-1/2" x3/8fnpt end cap reducers
(2)1-1/2x1/2fnpt

Plus all the flow valves and ancillary plumbing that you pretty much need to design yourself

The 4x36 columns can hold around 3lbs at a time and you can choose to only run one at a time, making the mk5 a 2-3lb machine and a 4-6lb machine as well. Also new columns are fairly cheap. The 4x36's are only 150 at glacier

Latest posts

Latest posts