What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tent Negative Pressure -- How Much is Too Much?

ya i used a speed controller also for my 8 inch max fan until it killed two fans the speedster

That's the one I use.. Been running nearly 3 years 24/7 on a 6'' vortex. Never heard of one killing a fan, though I have heard it is better to use a solid state controller, or one that doesn't chop up the power.

Perhaps you just got a bad speedster, as I know tons of people around here who use them without issue.

choch

Speedster and other fan controllers are cheap, but not the best choice. If you really want to slow your fans down without making the motors work harder and increasing motor noise, you need to use a "variac" autotransformer to dial down the voltage. The noise difference is incredible. My 8" elicient is sooo quiet running a dr120...

Check them out on ebay.

turbo14

Veteran
My Homebox XXL used to do the same thing. I run a 8" Can Fan through 3 600s and a large scrubber and it was still sucking in. I added a 16" Lasko oscillating fan and no mas sucking in.

turbo14

Veteran
Is the oscillating fan blowing into one of the intakes?

No, just circulates existing air in cab.. not sure why it's working but it is:) I actually don't run intake on my tents... Just unzip and toke with them 3-4 times a day to give em some fresh air:smokeit:

turbo

choch

Thanks turbo that's what I figured but wanted to be sure.

ps - Wish I could fit 2 of those "turbo14" in my dr120 dang it! lol

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
i was hoping that this thread would be about the effects of negative pressure on plant growth. something along the lines of increased transpiration or metabolic rate... hmmmhhh always wondered about that.

Given that negative pressure is simply a low air-pressure zone, I'd think the subject to check would be high altitude growing.

My 8" elicient is sooo quiet running a dr120...

what are you running in that dr120 that needs an 8'' elicient? what kind of setup u got goin?

i ask these questions because i just got a 120 last weekend...and im still trying to decide on what to run in it.

ProGroWannabe

That's not the same thing fellas. A low-pressure area is just an air mass that is holding a pressure lower than 14.7 psi (typical atmospheric pressure). What he's/she's referring to is a vacuum.......totally different. A vacuum is a LACK of pressure. And he has a valid point in asking if it has any effect on buds because nature is all about balance. A vacuum is a measurable lack of balance between two spaces. It very well COULD have an impact on plant growth---just a minor one though, I'd bet.

choch

what are you running in that dr120 that needs an 8'' elicient? what kind of setup u got goin?

i ask these questions because i just got a 120 last weekend...and im still trying to decide on what to run in it.

I'm sorry I missed this earlier. I already had the 8" so I just dial it waaay down and it ends up being quite stealthy. A 6" S&P would likely be an excellent choice if buying one specifically for this tent.

edit to add: This tent's fate is not yet clear either lol, will run a few hempys while figuring that out. Eventually it will be going vertical though. Would love to hear what you decide(d) to do.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts