What's new

Temps of CFL's?

I can't find a thread which specifically addresses the whole color/temp of CFL's and their application, so here goes:

Which color (warm vs. cool) and which temp (5500K, 3500K, etc.) are best suited for vegetative growth and which are best suited for flowering?

Also, when determining wattage per square foot with CFL's, should you use the actual watts consumed by the bulb, or the equivalent light/lumens put out by the bulb?

alkbud

krustytheclown said:
I can't find a thread which specifically addresses the whole color/temp of CFL's and their application, so here goes:

Which color (warm vs. cool) and which temp (5500K, 3500K, etc.) are best suited for vegetative growth and which are best suited for flowering?

Also, when determining wattage per square foot with CFL's, should you use the actual watts consumed by the bulb, or the equivalent light/lumens put out by the bulb?

hey krusty,

Warm CFL's - around 3000K (Best for flowering)
Cool CFL's - around 6000K (Best for veg)

well they say that you need minimun 50W psf but that applies really to HID's for CFL's you should consider 150W psf.

hope this helps.
good grow!

Thanks.

I'd just be using the CFL's to start seedlings in the vegatative stage until they get a couple sets of leaves on them; then they go under the 400W HPS!

MUWAHAHAHAHA!

Saabotage

krustytheclown said:
Thanks.

I'd just be using the CFL's to start seedlings in the vegatative stage until they get a couple sets of leaves on them; then they go under the 400W HPS!

MUWAHAHAHAHA!

lol not that I would ever kick a Libertarian from these forums. but a 400W HPS isn't a micro grow......... ever!

I've done just fine with 80w/cubic foot. cool to veg, warm to flower......

But I gotta tell ya. If I owned a 400 watter I would never touch the Cfls. Unless I replaced my normal house bulbs to keep electricity down. A 400W HPs is vastly more powerful in light output then CFLs.

P.S. I vote Libertarian every chance I get. After all a vote for Repulicrate or Dimopublican is a vote for pure unadulterated eViL!!

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I use 15w flouros to start seedlings or clones, I have 2 of them for 4 plants or 1 for 2.

Saabotage said:
lol not that I would ever kick a Libertarian from these forums. but a 400W HPS isn't a micro grow......... ever!

I've done just fine with 80w/cubic foot. cool to veg, warm to flower......

But I gotta tell ya. If I owned a 400 watter I would never touch the Cfls. Unless I replaced my normal house bulbs to keep electricity down. A 400W HPs is vastly more powerful in light output then CFLs.

P.S. I vote Libertarian every chance I get. After all a vote for Repulicrate or Dimopublican is a vote for pure unadulterated eViL!!

Wow... I totally lost track of this thread.

I saw RedGreenery's CFL stealth grow, which can produce as much as I've been getting from my 400W C13 grows: 4 ounces. My way results in ~.3 grams/watt, RedGreenery's way results in ~.5 grams/watt

I'm going to build a CFL grow based on his design and do a SCROG and see what happens.

Oh yeah, I'm also trying a SCROG with my C13 this year, too. Hopefully that will pump up my yields (I'm hoping for 8+ ounces).

P.S. Once I get some things straightened out, I'm going to get involved with the Libertarian Party again. The 2 main parties are selling out the country to the facists and the UN. I'll just have to make sure any money I donate is in no way tied to my...ummm...horticultural passion.