What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Teflon© Bag Collection Tek, No scraping

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
illchemist said:
Be careful of Teflon. Do not use it to cook with, either. It is known to release perfluorinated octanoic acid (PFOA), which is a persistent organic pollutant. It has been found in people's blood all over the world and is very difficult to get rid of. It can also be transmitted to a child through the mother's milk. It is an environmental hazard and has been linked to developmental problems in children. Much of this info has been suppressed by DuPont.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFOA

i've accidently been eating tiny bits of teflon from the frying pan being scraped. after oh 20 or more years im as healthy as i should be. as do alot of people WORLDWIDE... :2cents:

besides, if your dumbass ever even made oil you would know how nice these bags are. :asskick:

foaf said:
And guess what, don't touch your keyboard cause it has plastic that is dangerous to burn or cook on too.
what about the also dangerous VOC's? or where its made? china seams to clad everything with lead, especialy any type of cable sheething, like the one from the keyboard to the plug/pc. :bashhead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning
EVERYONE AVOID touching cables!! wash your hands after you do!

lol sorry foaf this guy is somthing else.

Last edited:

foaf

Veteran
well, I don't know about specifications, I guess you want thick enough not to tear and pure clean teflon, Ive used two sizes similar to the ones linked here

http://www.welchfluorocarbon.com/TeflonPFAFEPModifiedPTFELayFlatBags.htm

they are typically used in laboratory situations for samples that may damage plastics or stick to them. the small bags are great to store and dispense from, and the large gallon bags are good to blow your bho into from the start, eliminating the casserole dish.

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
You can "boil" off the liquid butane just by placing your hand over and around the liquid inside the bag. It takes alot longer because it's not a large surface area....and I tip my bag so that all the liquid accumulates into the triangular shaped corner.

Eventually you'll end up with the sticky goo inside.

After that step, I've put the bag into the freezer to get everything rock hard......when that's done...theoretically you should be able to crack off chunks of the BHO and it will slide out of the teflon bag.....

That being said....my first experience was still quite a messy one even with the bags. I had a really hard time getting the residue out of the teflon bag simply because it quickly melts even when exposed to the regular room temperature...and definitely as you're handling the bag. If you're able to competently and smoothly get the stuff out of the bag in one fluid move you should be o.k. It's the REMAINING stuff inside the bag that forms little amber looking shards of crystal.....THAT stuff is hard to get back. I certainly wouldn't go scraping these bags......

Overall they were an interesting experiment, but I did go back to using the casserole dish until I perfect using the bag....I know there's something rather simple I'm missing.....hopefully someone can re-iterate what's already been said here before pertaining to the use of these teflon bags so I can up my game.

In the end: I had to cut open the teflon bag after I used it 1x to see if I could get the residual stuff out (which was not an insignificant amount from just a brief visual assessment). Still trying to decide how to get those last precious crystals out of it without denegrating the teflon.

foaf

Veteran
The problems access mentions of physically moving the cold oil before it heats up can be minimized a few ways. you can purge it pretty well in the bag, but it does take longer than spread out evenly in a casserole dish. this is key so that the oil is hader as it warms up. also, I crush up directly in the freezer and let it all fall to the corner. then I let it get cold again, crush again, and quickly pour it into a vial or a smaller bag. Small amounts can get stuck in the bag, but you can use the bags tons of times, so I dont work too hard to get the last out. thanks for trying access

cun

i find that the lay flat bags will close up, and doesnt purge properly. I found that using a beaker liner worked better. even though it is more condensed, it is open for the butane to escape

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Foaf: don't get me wrong bro....I actually LIKE the whole bag idea. The casserole dish is a bit of a chap honestly....
I think you understand implicitly what I was trying to articulate above. I'm definitely going to take your suggestions and utilize them with the next run. I just didn't want to waste the bags I bought before I had a definitive plan.
They aren't the cheapest things ya' know...LMAO. I did buy a boatload of them however...largest size...rated for extreme cold (there are ones on that site for extreme heat, etc.). Pretty neat. You are right about being able to use the bag over and over and over again...so maybe I'm being a bit finicky about the "last remnants". I got a chunk out of the bag that would put down a sizeable room of stoners.....LOL.

Gonna keep on keepin on until I'm a Jedi Master like you. :friends:

Stay Frosty

I just blast my bho right into a dish with warm water. The oil floats ontop, and I use a paper clip to collect it off. Couple flicks of the wrist and the waters off the glob. Works great with lil to no scraping.

Slimm

That's a neat trick. I think the bags are a the best way to go though. No mess, no waste and clean up is a breeze!

Slimm

Beaker liners come in different thicknesses 5, 7.5, 10 and 20 mil. Any recommendations on that?

BongDaddy

Wow, I know it's relatively old, but I couldn't have found this thread at a better time. I'm just about to do a bho extraction, and I hate scraping the casserole dish.

One idea I had after reading this thread...what if you use the teflon bag to line the casserole dish? Seems like it would be the best of both worlds. Or maybe cut the bag in "half" (as in, two separate sheets), and line the casserole dish with one of the sheets. Freeze it up, turn the "sheet" inside out, and all the frozen oil just falls off. I guess you would need something to catch it with though (maybe into another intact bag?).

What about these new fangled silicone casserole dishes? They're flexible and can turn inside out as well. Or would the butane and/or oil react badly with them in some way?

foaf

Veteran
One idea I had after reading this thread...what if you use the teflon bag to line the casserole dish?

that would work great. you could turn it inside out, put it over the dish, blow, purge, and then turn back rightside in.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
that would work great. you could turn it inside out, put it over the dish, blow, purge, and then turn back rightside in.

Hi brother Foaf! Hee, hee, hee, have I got a surprise for you!

My butane recovery system inspired by you is in shakedown phase and I am also checking out your teflon bag source, for collection segregation purposes. More on that later........

Good job and thanks for the headsup!!!1

foaf

Veteran
very unlikely.
pretty much the source I mentioned, has the only bigger one, welch fluorocarbons. You can get little sandwich sized ones for cooking on ebay, but they are too small to blow into.

Latest posts

Latest posts