What's new

Teaming with Microbes

Scrappy4

Veteran
I'd say the science is evolving.

Interesting conversation here. I am thinking back to when I did not know about mycos at all, and still grew decent herb. It is hard to gauge the benefit, or if it is cost effective to buy and use them. I remain skeptical but still use them.....scrappy

C

CT Guy

microbeman- kind of related to the issue, i know you would be the one to ask,

how efficient/successful does the plant orchestrate what bacteria/fungi is wants present at any given time in the rhizosphere through exudates and such?

and,
through excessive use of certain inoculants or sugars(bacterial dominant food vs. fungi dominant food) can you throw off the "correct" balance of bacteria to fungi in the rhizosphere? can you really screw things up?

I'm sure MM will chime in, but the research I've seen (and I'm doing this from memory) showed that the plant is able to change it's exudates within hours, meaning it's highly efficient at controlling microbial populations within it's rhizosphere.

And yes, you can throw off the balance. Too much of anything is never a good idea, but it's really when you start getting pathogens or anaerobic organisms in high quantities that you risk plant health. I'm not saying all anaerobes are bad, many can be quite beneficial, but if you were to brew up a bad batch of tea you could risk damaging/weakening your plant.

That being said, a brew that comes our highly bacterial or fungal, while maintaining aerobic conditions is probably not going to have any negative effects and will still provide good benefit to the plant.

I still maintain that a balanced tea containing all sets of organisms (bacteria/archea, fungal hyphae, protozoa) offers the best of all worlds, providing nutrient cycling (the most important benefit of ACT), microbial diversity, and allowing the plant full control over it's rhizosphere.

EDIT: Ahhhhh...just realized your question was in relation to direct application of nutrients/"foods" to the soil. Then the answer is most definitely yes. You can cause bacterial blooms in the soil through the addition of too many sugars. Too much of anything is never a good idea. Nature needs a balance, and the rhizosphere is a complex environment of biological and chemical reactions that we've really only scratched the surface of understanding.

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
microbeman- kind of related to the issue, i know you would be the one to ask,

how efficient/successful does the plant orchestrate what bacteria/fungi is wants present at any given time in the rhizosphere through exudates and such?

and,
through excessive use of certain inoculants or sugars(bacterial dominant food vs. fungi dominant food) can you throw off the "correct" balance of bacteria to fungi in the rhizosphere? can you really screw things up?

The first question is a little hard to understand but I'm guessing you wonder how adept the plant is at controlling the microbial based nutrient uptake. If so, the answer is; it depends on too many variables to clearly answer but in a natural growing environment with sufficient organic matter, this is handled quite nicely by the plant.

For the second question, certainly a concentrate that would feed only one species applied in excess could throw off the microbial balance and open the door to pathogens; exactly what happens with chems and is why they need to keep using various poisons to keep disease in check. Some people try to tack these foods down too much though. For example molasses feeds bacteria and fungi, as does oat flour and wheat bran and fish hydrolysate.

B

Butte_Creek

ct guy- no that was perfect. it was a two part question, which you answered both. thank you. interesting. balance and diversity then is most important, as long as it's beneficial. and yeah, anaerobes like EM1 are beneficial for example.

microbeman-yes you got it. yeah, i was specifically speaking of a plant grown in vermicompost without any chems/salts, purely organic. and it sounds like both you and ct guy believe the plant has quite the control over the microbial population in it's rhizosphere, as long as you don't go overboard with chem/salts and or foods that primarily feed either bacteria or fungi. ok, yeah molasses seems to be always paired with bacteria food on this website, over looking that fungi also feed.

so worry less about wether your ACT or compost is bacteria or fungi dominated, and more about maintaining diversity, which in hand more efficiently protects the rhizosphere and phyllosphere from pathogens; at least with cannabis.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so worry less about wether your ACT or compost is bacteria or fungi dominated, and more about maintaining diversity, which in hand more efficiently protects the rhizosphere and phyllosphere from pathogens; at least with cannabis.

yup! read my sig.

mad librettist

Veteran
and I believe the way Jeff puts it, is that fungi have a stabilizing effect on the nutrient cycle, so that there is not a boom and bust in bacterial/archeal population/predation, but a more balanced system.

Paul Tukey, in his organic lawn care manual, explains that weeds prefer the boom and bust, and are messengers telling you about the soil (dandelions=low calcium, clover = low N, and so on).

h.h.

Veteran
Just finished another short one on Compost Tea Making by Marc Remillard. A good companion piece to Teaming. Nice interview at the end as well.
Downloaded Kindle on the computer. Don't have a tablet, but the quick access, though limited, is addicting. Now "How to be a Worm Farmer" or some scnlick like that

h.h.

Veteran
re: " fungal:bacterial"

not sure how actually scientific it is but the Ingham people say tomatoes like 1:1, and I'd say most cannabis likes that too, or slightly more bacterial (potato soil).

Example of a specie that does not associate: Brassica oleracea (this specie comes as broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi, cabbage, kale, brussels sprouts.... this specie is bi-annual.

Probably in a couple years they will say "woops, we found the mycorrhizae that like brassica".

Corpse flower - symbiotic plant/fungus duo. All the plant side does is make a pale white flower when it's time to reproduce. Talk about short lived!

My living mulches are supposed to carry the infection from harvest to harvest so I don't start over every time.
When pulling roots when they have what I want to say is a fuzzy layer of soil hanging from it that I associate with mycorrhizae. Is this somewhat correct? I know there are other factors as well. I can pretty well tell which corn stalks it will be on by how they grow. Pulling some cabbage that is at least 9 months showed the same characteristics. in the rhizosphere. Perhaps bi annuals, allowed time are also infected.

h.h.

Veteran
Worm Farming by Michelle Williams is very short, very general, not researched, with little information.

mad librettist

Veteran
When pulling roots when they have what I want to say is a fuzzy layer of soil hanging from it that I associate with mycorrhizae. Is this somewhat correct? I know there are other factors as well. I can pretty well tell which corn stalks it will be on by how they grow. Pulling some cabbage that is at least 9 months showed the same characteristics. in the rhizosphere. Perhaps bi annuals, allowed time are also infected.

those are probably root hairs.

brassicas don't associate afaik

h.h.

Veteran
Not root hairs. I've thought maybe exuding a lot of sugar perhaps. Something is causing the dirt to bond.where it shakes off with a little effort. Even the appearance of the dirt is different.
Brassicas don't form a relationship from what I've read as well, but then, who leaves them in the ground for any extended period?
Seems the experts are always quoting other experts until we get someone like MM actually looking.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have kale plants that are 3 years old. just pulled one up that wasn't doing so well. roots COVERED in fungal hyphae. if its not mycorrhizal its highly beneficial.

h.h.

Veteran
I'm getting that mycorrhiza would refer to the relationship rather than the actual strain of fungus. Be it endo or exto, it would still be mycorrizal if it is a beneficial relationship.

mad librettist

Veteran
i have kale plants that are 3 years old. just pulled one up that wasn't doing so well. roots COVERED in fungal hyphae. if its not mycorrhizal its highly beneficial.

hyphae can't be seen with the naked eye.

There may be mycelia, but not likely mycorrhizal, unless you have just made a discovery.

I imagine Kale is actually trying to favor bacteria.

Last edited:

mad librettist

Veteran
I'm getting that mycorrhiza would refer to the relationship rather than the actual strain of fungus. Be it endo or exto, it would still be mycorrizal if it is a beneficial relationship.

no, it's mycorrhizal infection if it is mycorrhizal infection. Sorry, but you can't arbitrarily redefine words.

"myco" means fungus, "rhizae" means roots

It's a fungus that acts like a part of the root system. A given specie of fungus can only infect the hosts that have evolved to associate with it. You are completely misunderstanding the relationship, or rather, you are inventing your own relationships. Very confusing hh, you are making me dizzy!

The ones we are after are arbuscular mycorrhizae. You can't tell with your eyes or even with a scope, unless you use a dye and make slides. I don't even have the gear to prepare a sample.

A given plant in living soil is interacting with billions of organisms. Only a tiny, tiny fraction of those beneficial relationships are mycorrhizal fungi

GoneRooty

A given plant in living soil is interacting with billions of organisms. Only a tiny, tiny fraction of those beneficial relationships are mycorrhizal fungi

Quite right, and of those billions of interactions, we're still learning about most of them.

As for the mycelium on the kale, maybe it has something to do with the dark septate endophytes that MM has been studying? Maybe the DSE are the mycorrhizae for the plants that don't benefit from the traditional mycorrhizal realtionships? Maybe brassicas don't form mycorrhizal relationships with endo or ecto, but with DSE's?

mad librettist

Veteran
Quite right, and of those billions of interactions, we're still learning about most of them.

As for the mycelium on the kale, maybe it has something to do with the dark septate endophytes that MM has been studying? Maybe the DSE are the mycorrhizae for the plants that don't benefit from the traditional mycorrhizal realtionships? Maybe brassicas don't form mycorrhizal relationships with endo or ecto, but with DSE's?

very intriguing, eh?

h.h.

Veteran
I was taking the definition from Wiki...
A mycorrhiza (Gk.,: fungus roots,[1] pl mycorrhizae, mycorrhizas) is a symbiotic (generally mutualistic, but occasionally weakly pathogenic) association between a fungus and the roots of a vascular plant.[
I'm not looking at actual strands, just the effects. The way the soil clings suggests something fibrous such as a fungus.