What's new

Tea Article

Bulldog420

Veteran
I have a couple questions for the tea masters.

I am living at a new spot and trying to figure out how to brew up some tea. My problems in this spot are heat and electrical. I only have a couple spots where I could plug in, and one spot is under a nice shady area. However the temps get up to 90+ on a daily, and I am not sure the tea will brew properly. Does it take a shorter amount of time for a brew when the temps are that high? Should I keep it around 24-30 hours instead of 36? Right now I am using two 80 w pumps for 55gal, so that should be plenty of air.

Any help would be great.

Bumping this one more time, need to make some tea's.

Granger2

Veteran
Hey MM,
Any guidelines on how much Sunflower Oil per gal of tea? This is a problem that recurs for me. I was thinking about something mechanical. Like a spoon on top of a boiling pot. I was considering cutting some 1/2" hardware cloth so that it will slip down into my 15 gal container maybe 6 inches below the top so the head will get broken up if it tries to go thru it. Thanks. -granger

Bulldog420

Veteran
Granger - in the past I have added olive oil, a 1/4 tea spoon at a time for 55gal brew and just waited for the foam to stop. Sounds like sunflower oil is better, but the concept is the same.

Started my brew last night and it seems to be just fine in the 90 degree heat at 11am. Not only that but I really loaded up on all the additives just to push my first brew to the limit. Using MM's recipe's, so I have no doubt it will be a fantastic tea in the end. Found my chickens sitting on the air lift pipe roosting this morning....lol.

Leave a gap from the top of the vessel.

If you can't do that, I went with a large pvc air manifold at the bottom of my can. Makes bigger bubbles instead of tiny ones from stones, and makes less foam for sure.

Best solution is to buy a bigger container to make tea in, or make it in multiple containers in my opinion.

T

bigshrimp

Veteran
In high temps (above mid eighties) i usually run my brews a couple hours shorter and don't overdo the feedstock. Warmer water holds less oxygen and high temps have the potential to promote some funky organisms. Just my thoughts, feel free to chime in if anybody disagrees.

Kozmo

Veteran
Dig dig dig

Dig dig dig

I have a couple questions for the tea masters.

I am living at a new spot and trying to figure out how to brew up some tea. My problems in this spot are heat and electrical. I only have a couple spots where I could plug in, and one spot is under a nice shady area. However the temps get up to 90+ on a daily, and I am not sure the tea will brew properly. Does it take a shorter amount of time for a brew when the temps are that high? Should I keep it around 24-30 hours instead of 36? Right now I am using two 80 w pumps for 55gal, so that should be plenty of air.

Any help would be great.

Dig a hole.

Bulldog420

Veteran
In high temps (above mid eighties) i usually run my brews a couple hours shorter and don't overdo the feedstock. Warmer water holds less oxygen and high temps have the potential to promote some funky organisms. Just my thoughts, feel free to chime in if anybody disagrees.

I did not run mine shorter, I ran it for a total of 36 hours. I turned out just fine (no scope to check) and the plants loved it. I added the extra feedstock just to see if my brewer was up to the extra demand, and it appears it was. I agree with you about not overdoing it and I side with MM on most tea's these days and only use compost and molasses. :tiphat:

Dig a hole.

Word. I need to run electrical to the spot I want it in first, and that is about #20 on the ever growing list. Once I get on top of it, I think your right. A hole will keep things much cooler, great advice.

Just finished this whole thread. Top 5 all time in my book. Thanks to CT GUY and MM for all the time and energy you put into helping this community.

I have a question that I don't believe has been discussed. how do the compost teas relate to insect and pest prevention? Do you foliar spray you plant during veg time? If so what do you foliar with, compost tea? Based on what I read, I don't believe you foliar with compost.

What do you guys integrate IPM into your watering schedules?
Can compost teas be used as a IPM?
If you don't use compost teas as a preventative for pests what do you use as a preventative for pest and such? when would you apply? Before water, after water, couple days after water?

Again thanks for all the info here. I hope im not asking questions that have been answered? I wrote these down as I was reading.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
IPMs are typically botanical "teas" ~camphorous plants such as lavender, mints ~pyrethrum plants like daisies, chrysanthemum ~capsaicin concoctions from hot peppers

something like using doc bronners soap in a foliar spray helps as a preventative & can be combined w/ botanicals

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
IPMs are typically botanical "teas" ~camphorous plants such as lavender, mints ~pyrethrum plants like daisies, chrysanthemum ~capsaicin concoctions from hot peppers

something like using doc bronners soap in a foliar spray helps as a preventative & can be combined w/ botanicals

Actually, Contrary to recent information which has hit the networks IPM is integrated pest (and pathogen) management and the use of botanical teas is one minor part of it.

An IPM program includes, cultivation techniques (companion planting, soil type/depth/moisture, topdress, irrigation regimen), the use of predators, the use of microbial inoculants for pathogen and pest control, the use of insecticide/pesticide sprays of varying intensities for pest and pathogen control, including those you mentioned, hypothetcally the use of compost and compost teas for pathogen control.

C

ct guy2

Just finished this whole thread. Top 5 all time in my book. Thanks to CT GUY and MM for all the time and energy you put into helping this community.

I have a question that I don't believe has been discussed. how do the compost teas relate to insect and pest prevention? Do you foliar spray you plant during veg time? If so what do you foliar with, compost tea? Based on what I read, I don't believe you foliar with compost.

What do you guys integrate IPM into your watering schedules?
Can compost teas be used as a IPM?
If you don't use compost teas as a preventative for pests what do you use as a preventative for pest and such? when would you apply? Before water, after water, couple days after water?

Again thanks for all the info here. I hope im not asking questions that have been answered? I wrote these down as I was reading.

Thanks for the kind words. Credit really has to go to MM for all the information he so freely has shared over the years.

To answer your question, I personally don't use ACT for disease suppression. I use ACT to increase nutrient cycling and improve the overall health of the soil and the plant, which in turn will lead to a healthier plant with better ability to fight off pathogens.

There has been some studies relating to using ACT to treat various bacterial and fungal diseases, but the results have been varied and inconsistent, partly due to poor controls and improperly designed experiments. I do know some growers who have attributed their use of teas to the eradication of a variety of diseases, so I think it may play some role in this. However, I prefer to go after a problem pest or pathogen with something that I know will work, whether it is a known predator like hypoapsis or a bacteria like bacillus subtilis or neem/karanja oil, etc... I would hypothesize that ACT will help reduce the need for dealing with many of these issues, but don't look at it like a silver bullet.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Actually, Contrary to recent information which has hit the networks IPM is integrated pest (and pathogen) management and the use of botanical teas is one minor part of it.

An IPM program includes, cultivation techniques (companion planting, soil type/depth/moisture, topdress, irrigation regimen), the use of predators, the use of microbial inoculants for pathogen and pest control, the use of insecticide/pesticide sprays of varying intensities for pest and pathogen control, including those you mentioned, hypothetcally the use of compost and compost teas for pathogen control.

WRONG!

What IPM really is:

-ineffectual
-mumbo jumbo
-non-existent

The looming shipwreck

And now you know, and knowledge is power.

Made in Canada.

I AM PROUD TO BE A CANADIAN

-Daygo Abortions

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
WRONG!

What IPM really is:

-ineffectual
-mumbo jumbo
-non-existent

The looming shipwreck

And now you know, and knowledge is power.

Made in Canada.

I AM PROUD TO BE A CANADIAN

-Daygo Abortions

You don't want to get yourself in trouble here do you?
All I did was define IPM and stated nothing regarding its efficacy, (although the predators have worked fine for me)
Despite this you yelled at me as if the problems encountered on golf courses in Ontario is on my shoulders.

Frankly, this should make you embarrassed to be Canadian :)

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I figured the Daylgos quote was a sure sign I wasen't serious.

I've had that in my bag of tricks for a week or so now. Probably should have waited for a more opportune time to whip it out (like on a bus). Timing is everything.

I fail.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OK, yeah they're talking about spraying CT as a preventive for PM elsewhere on the forum

I hadn't considered the IPM applications of CT much & mostly all i encounter is spider mites or grasshoppers ~which botanical foliars & doc bronner's really help with

I should have probably stated something about beneficial/predatory insects & other forms of IPM

anyway, golf? wtf?

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
There's a full-grown assasin bug climbing around on almost all of my big girls.....I like it..

But I saw something this year I never saw before.. In several of my girls I have found a green, garter snake, slithering around in the branches..... Is this a good sign?

P.S. I've found less munching grasshoppers than usual this year..

Wow guys. I really could not have asked for a better explanation from the members contributing to this thread and forum.

I am a all time lurker in a lot of forums. I honestly cant thank the members of this forum enough for the knowledge and energy they put into helping the others that need to be educated. Questions, answered!