What's new

Tea Article

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Oh okay. I wonder what their big deal is with dilution. Does it list the ingredients?

Alaskan Humus is the compost.

Bio-activator - 56% Dried Molasses - Microbial food source
9% yucca Shidigera
7% humic acid from Leonardite

Bountea B3 (Flowering nutes added at the end of brew)
Total Nitrogen 1.6%
Available Phosphate 3%
Soluble Potash 7%

Derived from dehydrated fish power, soft rock phosphate and potassium sulfate.

Non plant food ingredients:
15% Kelp Ascophyllum Nodosum
14% Humic Acid from Leonardite
10% yucca Schidigera

10 gallon brew gets 4 quarts Humus, 2.5 cups bio-activator, 2 cups B3.

You shouldn't have to dilute it. "dilution" is just a way to get an even application of the tea over a given surface area. If you can do it with less water, there should be no issues if it's really an aerated compost tea. I apply the stuff straight to my container plants all the time, just did it today in fact both as a soil drench and foliar.
I would agree with this if it were just ACT. However with the presents of the fertilizer I was not sure if I could water full strength or not. Are you using the Bountea product? Or are you just talking in general?

I did however talk to a rep today over the phone again. This time I asked about the B3 product and if I needed to cut the water. He told me to water full strength with the tea, and skip the nutes. If I want to feed with the B3 product then I should just top dress at the rate of 2-3 tablespoons per plant. I like this idea much much better.

BTW - I have now used Boutea, Vital Earth's tea blend, Extreme Gardening tea, and microbeman's recipe. So far I like Microbemans the best, because it comes out smooth with no rocks and other crap. As far as I can tell, the plants love them all. The reason I am able to try so many without breaking the bank is because of the Max Yield hydro show and all the freebies I received.

cmdo0bie

What organisms have you observed in your batches you have brewed with your setup? Have you checked the dissolved oxygen levels? I'd be interested to hear the effects using the Sea 90 stuff. Please let us know.

Microbeman, unfortunately I'm not at that point yet and haven't looked at anything under a scope yet. I just got started with ACT within the last month or so and have been too busy with my non lab job. I also was misguided at first, trying to follow burn1's nute tea guide and was definitely brewing some bad/inconsistent stuff before I decided to stick to just EWC/compost. I was intrigued by the idea of extracting the biology from the bat guano I have that's inoculated with some nitrogen fixing bacteria. As a side note, I should have my own worm bin setup soon.

I'm going to try and improve my setup as best as I can with the aquarium pump I have until I can afford anything better and just stick to 1 gal brews for now. Once I'm reasonably happy with the setup I'm going to start taking a look at the different organisms in the batches when I alter the recipe (EWC from the store vs home compost, sea90, etc). I'll be sure to keep you posted. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome as well. I'll be sure to keep reading through everything that's been posted already too.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
I am trying to save up for a good one now. I am suppose to be on a bulk buy seed list from a breeder here, but the breeder has been gone now for 5 weeks past the drop date with no word. I might just take that $1000 and use it for a scope.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
ok, now I am even more confused. You are selling the scopes, but not the camera's for the scope? I want to buy both, but it sounds like I will have to split that purchase. I would love to contribute to your company, you guys have given me so much for free. What do you recommend that is of high quality that is easy to add a camera to?

mad librettist

Veteran
dude, the trinocular scope he sells is great with any camera. they have a standard fit. You can locate what you need with the eyepieces then flip a switch to take the shot.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
MIcrobeman - Ok, I sent you an e-mail regarding all my questions. Thanks for showing me the way again you guys.

Mad librettist - Thanks man, I am leaning tword that scope as well. Did you buy the dvd's and the 3X multiplier Barlow lens?

rrog

Veteran
They don't talk about such things on other forums. This Organic Soil forum is really a unique treasure.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What happened with the cameras is I found a reasonable cmos camera from China for a decent price and software that I could improve upon. After selling out my first order I re-ordered and they sent me something different. To save money they had changed the chip/driver combo and the software was crap. I cannot sell stuff I'm not satisfied with so I cut off dealing with that company (mostly because they were dishonest with me). I still have the cameras and have thought about giving them away with scope purchases. They are good for conveying a 1260 res image and taking still photos but the zoom only works in 640 res and the video capture is complete crap. The old cameras did everything in 1260 res nicely.

During my search for cameras I tried the celeron and it was worse than what I have now. It could not convey moving microbes without blur. I can build a scope camera myself using a Logitech webcam but with the labor involved it would prove too expensive. I can provide a very nice set up for $800 but again that's a lot more that the $130 I was charging.

I'm building an inverted microscope right now that I hope is going to allow me to track more complete metamorphosis of microbial development using time lapse video. I just bought the lighting for it yesterday. I also bought some software which advertises 3D video capture/editing. I'm hoping to produce a blow your mind DVD.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
I'm building an inverted microscope right now that I hope is going to allow me to track more complete metamorphosis of microbial development using time lapse video. I just bought the lighting for it yesterday. I also bought some software which advertises 3D video capture/editing. I'm hoping to produce a blow your mind DVD.

YES!!!! Blow my mind!