What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tea Article

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
CT Guy

Through luck I landed on this link, Applied and Environmental Soil Science which contains several journals on soil health and related subjects.

The articles on vermicompost are particularly helpful. There are articles on the effect of heavy metals on the worms themselves vs. their castings, N-P-K differences between different species of worms, et al.

I thought you might find some of these scientific journals & studies helpful.

CC

C

CT Guy

Haven't had a chance to peruse the entire site, but found this interesting:

Abstract:

Major nutrient status of vermicompost of vegetable market waste (MW) and floral waste (FW) processed by three species of earthworms namely, Eudrilus eugeniae, Eisenia fetida, and Perionyx excavatus and its simple compost were assessed across different periods in relation to their respective initiative substrates. Their physical parameters—temperature, moisture, pH, and electrical conductivity—were also recorded. The nutrients—nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and magnesium—increased in the vermicompost and compost while the organic carbon, C/N and C/P ratios decreased as the composting process progressed from 0 to 15, 30, 45, and 60 days. The nutrient statuses of vermicomposts of all earthworm species produced from both the wastes were more than that of the compost and that of their respective substrates. Moreover, the vermicompost produced by E. eugeniae possessed higher nutrient contents than that of E. fetida, P. excavatus, and compost. The MW showed higher nutrient contents than the FW. Thus, vermicomposting is the paramount approach of nutrient recovery of urban green waste.

S

schwagg

just wanted to say thanks for all this info here. got a pump, bucket, all ready to go. just one quick question though. i can't get my hands on fish hydrosilate (sp) yet so i still have some emulsion sitting on the shelf. can i put some in the tea? what will it do?

Zendo

just wanted to say thanks for all this info here. got a pump, bucket, all ready to go. just one quick question though. i can't get my hands on fish hydrosilate (sp) yet so i still have some emulsion sitting on the shelf. can i put some in the tea? what will it do?

Fish Hydrolysate is much different than your emulsion. Hydrolysate that I have seen as a single ingredient has NPK of 0.2 - 0.3- 0.5 or something like that, where your emulsion is 5-1-1

Much different products. You would want to use them differently.

Emulsion is processed with heat, and kills off proteins and microbes, and increases heavy metals..

If you are looking to purchase online, http://www.earthfort.com/products/supplies/fish-hydrolysate.html is a good place. Many on here would recommend.

There are others that sell the single ingredient, or go with Neptunes harvest 2-3-1, or Organic Gem 3-3-.3..

Many hydro stores/gardening centers carry the Neptunes.

In recipe#5 in the organics for beginners thread this is what is recommended..
For veg growth…
1 capful 5-1-1 Fish Emulsion
1 capful Neptune's Harvest 0-0-1 Seaweed or Maxicrop liquid
1 gallon H2O

I wouldn't necessarily bubble the fish though, just add it per instructions at end of bubbling, stir, and feed.

Others will chime in, I am sure.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I bubble my fish hydrolysate with my teas because I want to start the process of it breaking down further. It seems to have a dramatic effect only a few days later with extreme growth rates. I have since learned that I don't need to apply a tea but once about every 3 or 4 weeks because my soil mix is good,and at that,a light tea. It doesn't need to be continually dosed. HTH

thal

Can someone here recommend an appropriate pump for a 5 gallon tea brewer? I'm sure that its in here, but I've read a handful of pages and don't see an exact answer.

C

CT Guy

Can someone here recommend an appropriate pump for a 5 gallon tea brewer? I'm sure that its in here, but I've read a handful of pages and don't see an exact answer.

.25-.4 cfm/gal., with .4 being optimal.

MrFista

Veteran
OUTSTANDING!

My new growbed has been nothing but headaches. I made a new batch of char and screwed something up. Soil pH was over 8. Clawing was observed on sativas, leaf margins yellowing on all leaves of apical growth, spotting, slow painful growth. Soil was hot, plants were hot and bothered.

So I made a leaf mulch and watered with worm castings and it looked a touch better but still growing ever so slowly.

Then I made some tea. Molasses, fulvic, humic, kelp, guano, worm castings. It's cold so I let it run for about 36 hours.

Yesterday I applied it in the morning. This evening I went in to check.

BOOM! It's like looking at transplants surge. All the new growth (couple - three inches in a day and a half) is beautifully healthy and the leaves are twice the size. The sats have stopped clawing, the new apical growth is healthy.

I'm so freaking impressed. I usually use teas, but on good soil. This is inspiring stuff. I've always believed in the concepts and benefits of compost tea but with great soil it was comparing apples to apples.

So I put some out in parts of my garden that have sick soil and ailing herbs in it, will be keeping a close eye.

I think the key to this tea being so good was being anal about making sure my worm castings were well and truly processed. About 3 months...

I've had money for a scope 3 times and every time LIFE happens and it got spent on vets or funerals. I stopped making teas, fed up with not knowing WTF is in them. Reading this thread (and having sick plants) inspired me to try again. So glad I did.

Thanks for that link CC, I enjoy perusing a few studies when I can.

2uptown

salt based fertilizer

salt based fertilizer

what affect does salt based fertilizers have on act? such as adding general hydroponics to act.

Mud Man

Sumthink Stinks
Veteran
tagged,,, amazing thread! thanks so much for your time CT.. ( Ingham all the way )
be checking out your site CT.. :) peace

very good info here thanks for posting ct! im going to be making compost tea this season for sure. just a question. how many times can i apply the tea during each stage. every other watering? every 2 waterings? thanks

C

CT Guy

very good info here thanks for posting ct! im going to be making compost tea this season for sure. just a question. how many times can i apply the tea during each stage. every other watering? every 2 waterings? thanks

You can apply as frequently as you want, but at some point you'll maximize your microbial populations. I'd suggest 1x a week would be an aggressive rate, with once every 2 weeks being normal and 1x a month if you have a really good soil mix and things are looking good. I'm guessing on this though, as I haven't seen any data on this. Just going off what others have reported back.

You can apply as frequently as you want, but at some point you'll maximize your microbial populations. I'd suggest 1x a week would be an aggressive rate, with once every 2 weeks being normal and 1x a month if you have a really good soil mix and things are looking good. I'm guessing on this though, as I haven't seen any data on this. Just going off what others have reported back.

thanks for the reply man. once every 2 week application sounds great. i was under the impression of 1 main feeding at each stage.

V

vonforne

I apply every other week. It is working good. I came down from every watering at the first of the year to once a month and did not get the results I liked seeing. I am a soil builder so my goal is to keep the populations stable in the soil. No, I do not have a Microscope........I am just going by the results seen in the plants.

V

Zendo

I apply every other week. It is working good. I came down from every watering at the first of the year to once a month and did not get the results I liked seeing. I am a soil builder so my goal is to keep the populations stable in the soil. No, I do not have a Microscope........I am just going by the results seen in the plants.

V

I may overkill it, but the only time my plants get plain water is the last 10 days or so, but I still bubble it..

I bubble fungal enhanced EWC at the least, and consider that my 'off watering'

This run I've used some biothrive grow and bloom from G.O., and have used 2-3 tsp per gallon every watering, depending on what stage they are in.

Once in veg and 3 times in flower I swapped those out for 1/2cup per 5 gallons of the compost tea foods from Keep It Simple.

It's going to be very hard switching away from this, as the results have been nothing less than dead.solid.perfect.

NL, strawberry cough, bubblegum, and G13 haze all responding exactly the same.

I feel like I may be using too much/too frequent, but with the cost being so low, and the plants smiling so much, it's hard to dial it down.. I WANT to dial it down, but scared to mess with what I have..
:dunno:

RudeDog

Veteran
It's probably been asked before but I'd like to know how long I can keep a bottle of tea?

I'm only small scale and made up 1.5 litres of tea. I finished with a tea having an EC of 1.6 so I use it dilute to EC of 0.7. I have 1.2 litres left, so can I keep it or should I just chuck it on me rhododendrons?

The tea was made with high P guano, EWC and molasses then bubbled for 9 hours.

Latest posts

Latest posts