What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tea Article

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I don't see any real issues with it, though I agree with you about the need to flush afterwards. Jeff uses a similar system to put the tea out on his lawn with a walking sprinkler. Not sure on the exact amount of water you would need to flush. Obviously you'd need to have a non-chlorinated/chloramined water source. I'd be inclined to test it with a small amount of tubing and see how much biofilm you actually get in the line with a little bit of flushing after sending the tea through. I think it can work, I know people who are send the tea through drip tape.
CT Guy

Thank you for your answer. I'm probably 'over thinking' this process. As my medical condition moves 'south' I'm trying to figure out to keep our 'business' intact after my passing in the next few months.

I'm probably over-thinking the deal. I have the water deal dialed in - i.e. we use well water from our property which has been tested and such so I'm confident on that issue.

Here's a question and not a position as such: I'm thinking that if one uses viable organic humus (compost and/or EWC) then the need to use AACT technology is reduced or even diminished.

I base that on my own experience of using top-quality compost (i.e. Marwest from Scio, OR) or top-quality EWC (like my own) then the need to apply AACT may not be necessary in the whole scheme of things.

Just a thought and I appreciate you answering my original query.

Peace

CC

happyhi

cool pump,
without a microscope no one knows what they've got, and based on my limited
experience over the last couple of months brewing tea and looking at it thru the
microscope i got from microbeman it is different every time and i have had many
batches that i thought were ready for application only to find nothing going on
when observed thru the scope. Those little buggers can be uncooperative at times.
My limited observation aside from cleanliness is that brewing temperature is a huge
factor as it relates to time of brew.
without the microscope i can't imagine being very effective with ACT, imo
peace.hh

For clarity let me first state that I wait at least overnight before calling anything ready. I was just illustrating the effectiveness of cascading water in adding dissolved oxygen. Secondly the bio wheel has the added benefit of being colonized by aerobic microbes only. I also think a microscope is a bit of overkill for my application. I generally go by smell, if it smells good it is good., if it smells off its off. I also agree that temp is a big factor, low temps make for a slow go of it. basically I'm finding that mild temps plus dissolved oxygen with quality ingredients = good aerated tea.

mad librettist

Veteran
falsediviner,

At first your statement makes no sense to me, but then I think about it, and it does make sense. Maybe not all your brews actually do what you think they are doing, but obviously enough of them do.

That said, I am saving up for a microscope. I will spend hours on it I'm sure, so I am going with the expensive one.

C

CT Guy

Here's a question and not a position as such: I'm thinking that if one uses viable organic humus (compost and/or EWC) then the need to use AACT technology is reduced or even diminished.

I base that on my own experience of using top-quality compost (i.e. Marwest from Scio, OR) or top-quality EWC (like my own) then the need to apply AACT may not be necessary in the whole scheme of things.

CC

I totally agree with this, I just think most people don't know what good, biologically active soil is. Maybe in your case it's not worth investing you limited time in though. If you do need any help on it though, let me know, I'd be happy to help.

happyhi

cool pump

cool pump

For clarity let me first state that I wait at least overnight before calling anything ready. I was just illustrating the effectiveness of cascading water in adding dissolved oxygen. Secondly the bio wheel has the added benefit of being colonized by aerobic microbes only. I also think a microscope is a bit of overkill for my application. I generally go by smell, if it smells good it is good., if it smells off its off. I also agree that temp is a big factor, low temps make for a slow go of it. basically I'm finding that mild temps plus dissolved oxygen with quality ingredients = good aerated tea.

very cool pump, smell test is important, in more than just ACT, hehe.
you have no idea what if any biology is active without a microscope, believe me when i tell you that i have brewed stuff for 36 hours and it smell great, looks great and has little to no microbial life. Sometimes it takes just another 2 to 4 hours and it goes from being relatively lifeless to bursting with stuff.
Just my observation.
peace/hh

V

vonforne

CT Guy

Thank you for your answer. I'm probably 'over thinking' this process. As my medical condition moves 'south' I'm trying to figure out to keep our 'business' intact after my passing in the next few months.

I'm probably over-thinking the deal. I have the water deal dialed in - i.e. we use well water from our property which has been tested and such so I'm confident on that issue.

Just a thought and I appreciate you answering my original query.

Peace

CC

I have been thinking along hose lines also. I understand the need for AACT when the soil is new but as CC stated do we need to continue the use of AACT. I am growing in large containers and I am assuming that the soil is alive at this point ( I do not have a MS to verify). I maintain the soil with new compost and EWC. The batches I am using now are cycled soil...once.

Would that create too much bio mass if I used AACT every time? I used to use teas every time I watered.

Would plant extract teas be better at this point?

V

mad librettist

Veteran
I believe the idea is you can alter the balance of living soil vis à vis the order of progression (the march to complexity), not just inoculate dead soil.

edit: then, you have to think about recovery from adverse events like compaction, flooding, mistakes, etc... seems a useful tool to able to deploy

C

CT Guy

I have been thinking along hose lines also. I understand the need for AACT when the soil is new but as CC stated do we need to continue the use of AACT. I am growing in large containers and I am assuming that the soil is alive at this point ( I do not have a MS to verify). I maintain the soil with new compost and EWC. The batches I am using now are cycled soil...once.

Would that create too much bio mass if I used AACT every time? I used to use teas every time I watered.

Would plant extract teas be better at this point?

V

I think that ACT can still have benefit, even with good soil, but there has to be a point where it's benefit is not worth the trouble. It would help in correctly any micro-imbalances in regards to the soil food web or nutrient cycling, but in really good soil I think it's impact would be minimized. You still have the benefit of applying as a foliar to help reduce airborne disease pressures.

I know of people growing in straight vermicompost who are adding very little in the way of organic nutes and no teas, and growing very good plants. I'm not saying ACT is the only way to go, but many people have given me feedback on how their plants perked up or had a bunch of new growth or they were able to control a disease like mildew from using ACT.

If your plants are perfectly healthy and you have a great soil mix, then you're probably fine without it though...

I haven't experimented enough with plant extract teas to comment, but I'm sure Jay will jump in.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think once soil is healthy and fertile enough you can cut back on ACT. specially if your amending with high quality compost or top dressing in a no till system, but i still think regular foliar sprays of ACT are beneficial to annual crops.

plant extracts can also be eliminated when your soil is fertile with enough humus and organic matter. though applications of a few extracts help stimulate certain things and can be applied all the time even in a healthy soil.

C

CT Guy

i think once soil is healthy and fertile enough you can cut back on ACT. specially if your amending with high quality compost or top dressing in a no till system, but i still think regular foliar sprays of ACT are beneficial to annual crops.

plant extracts can also be eliminated when your soil is fertile with enough humus and organic matter. though applications of a few extracts help stimulate certain things and can be applied all the time even in a healthy soil.

I think Jay put it quite well, I agree.... :plant grow:

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
I know of people growing in straight vermicompost who are adding very little in the way of organic nutes and no teas, and growing very good plants.

Not to let this veer off-topic too far but, when you mention this I keep wondering if people you know are growing in vermicompost with no perlite or similar added for aeration. Do you know?

V

vonforne

Not to let this veer off-topic too far but, when you mention this I keep wondering if people you know are growing in vermicompost with no perlite or similar added for aeration. Do you know?

I think Smurf has. I do not know if he used perlite or what but I do remember he has for sure. I grew in EWC and perlite but only for a short period like us all....in the early veg stage and tat is it.

JK

I was thinking mostly of nettles in veg and comfrey in flower. I just want to try it out. I have not relied totally on that yet and since I am growing in larger containers now I was thinking of trying it.

though applications of a few extracts help stimulate certain things and can be applied all the time even in a healthy soil.

What certain things? Bacteria? or Fungi?

V

C

CT Guy

Met a guy at the NW Flower and Garden Show who had been growing for a long time and claimed it was in straight EWC. I think MM may have mentioned doing the same a while back.

I could see where maintaining good drainage and aeration could become problematic, but the biology would be excellent!

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ive done it before, but i wouldn't say it was ideal. and i think its better for seedlings rather than mature plants.

Cool Moe

Veteran
Great information here, much thanks to all who possess and share the knowledge...CT, could you comment as to whether cotton burr compost when added to ACT w/ worm castings and molasses would help to increase the beneficial fungi numbers? Dr. Ingram lists cotton seed meal as a fungi fascillitator in aerated tea, could you possibly take a look at this product and offer your thoughts?

http://www.backtonaturecompost.com/regularcbc.html

xebeche

CT Guy,

I am a bit confused as to the role of Humic Acids in the brewing of ACT. I know that what I have read leads me to the conclusion that Humic Acids help with the chelation of micronutrients that tend to form salts, but have not been able to find any information as to their benefit to aerobic bacterial growth. The only source study I can find would lead me to believe that they are only helpful to anaerobic bacteria:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC106677/

Any ideas on where to get info on this?

xebeche

CT,

You mentioned hydroponic wheat grass. What type of set up and nutes do you use for that. I love wheat grass and need to start growing it. Any advice on where to look to get started with an organic hydro system, or should I just use dirt?

C

CT Guy

Great information here, much thanks to all who possess and share the knowledge...CT, could you comment as to whether cotton burr compost when added to ACT w/ worm castings and molasses would help to increase the beneficial fungi numbers? Dr. Ingram lists cotton seed meal as a fungi fascillitator in aerated tea, could you possibly take a look at this product and offer your thoughts?

http://www.backtonaturecompost.com/regularcbc.html

Cool Moe,

Took a look at the link you provided. On the surface, the product looks okay, but there are few red flags for me on their site.

1. They have no testing results of any sort to support their claims. Not even a mineral or nutrient analysis, which most conventional composting companies readily share. I would prefer to see biological testing, as this is really what you want for an organic grow.

2. There "Results" section is just a bunch of before and after photos. You are given no information regarding controls or inputs.

3. There "FAQ" section (beyond having grammatical and formatting errors), has some misleading information (in my opinion) regarding it's comparison with other composts.

4. The compost is sold in sealed plastic bags. Not ideal conditions for maintaining aerobic conditions.

BUT...all that being said, it might be a wonderful and biologically active compost. It's hard to know without any testing.